Chapter 28: To Protect You

“Fine then,” Qu Weiyin replied, her gaze dropping once more, her long, thick eyelashes casting shadows over her eyes, obscuring her emotions. “What do you hope to gain?”

“Not now, but in the future, I will certainly have something to offer. Since that’s the case, consider it a debt; if you ever need anything, just ask,” Luo Jinxiao said, her eyes sparkling as she spoke with a clear, bright tone.

Qu Weiyin turned away, responding with a noncommittal “Hmm.”

At that moment, a piece of paper came fluttering down from the sky, struggling like a yellow bird in the wind until it landed in front of Qu Weiyin. She reached out with two fingers to grasp it and brought it closer to her eyes.

“Elder He says he remembered the wrong date for his retreat and is returning to give the lecture,” Qu Weiyin said, shaking her head helplessly. “Since he’s coming back, you can accompany me; I need to discuss something with you.”

Luo Jinxiao followed Qu Weiyin back to the Han Yun Pavilion. As soon as she entered, she was pounced on by the Qiongqi, who had been living there for a while, nearly knocking her to the ground.

“Just one short night, and it has grown so much,” Luo Jinxiao said, stepping back a few paces to regain her balance. The Qiongqi, which once resembled a small tiger, now looked like a tiny dragon, round and chubby.

The Qiongqi stretched out its tongue to lick Luo Jinxiao’s face, but she hurriedly tilted her head to avoid it.

Hearing this, Qu Weiyin’s face flushed slightly, and she said coolly, “Yesterday, I saw it constantly begging for food, so I fed it a bit more.”

Luo Jinxiao looked down at the Qiongqi’s rounded belly, momentarily lost for words.

“How much did you feed it?” she asked.

“Not too much,” Qu Weiyin paused for a moment before continuing, “just a few cows.”

Luo Jinxiao nearly choked on her own saliva, coughing a few times to mask her shock. “No wonder it has such an insatiable appetite! It could really do with just half a cow, after all.”

“Is that so? Oh,” Qu Weiyin nodded, her delicate hands clasped tightly behind her back, a hint of awkwardness crossing her expression.

“It’s alright; it’s not like it can harm itself by eating,” Luo Jinxiao laughed lightly, cautiously poking at the Qiongqi’s belly.

“I’ve never fed it before, usually…” Qu Weiyin meant to explain but caught herself when she realized something was off, stopping mid-sentence.

At that moment, Luo Jinxiao turned to look at her, and their eyes met. Qu Weiyin’s gaze was as calm as an ancient well, revealing nothing but a slight flush on her cheeks.

Luo Jinxiao felt there was something elusive in her mind, as if it were concealed in mist, just out of reach.

Never mind, she shook her head. How could that be? Perhaps she was overthinking.

Unbeknownst to her, Qu Weiyin turned away, letting out a long breath.

Raising her hand gently, two steaming cups of fragrant tea appeared on the table. Luo Jinxiao noticed that Qu Weiyin favored Yunwu tea; the leaves settled at the bottom, yielding a clear and rich brew.

“Sit,” Qu Weiyin instructed.

Luo Jinxiao had never experienced such formality from Qu Weiyin before and promptly adjusted her robes, sitting down with reverence.

“What did Elder Qu discuss with you?” Qu Weiyin inquired.

“The celestial veins and the techniques for cultivating using others' celestial veins,” Luo Jinxiao answered honestly.