Chapter 31: So Soft

Luo Jinxiao extended her spiritual energy cautiously, finding that the girl before her carried a clean aura—much like that of a human—without any other peculiarities to suggest anything was amiss.

Just then, in a moment of desperation, the girl charged forward, wrapping her arms tightly around Luo Jinxiao's legs, nearly knocking her off balance. Luo Jinxiao stumbled back a few steps to steady herself, looking down in surprise.

Tears glistened in the girl's eyes, and her hair was in disarray, strands hanging over her shoulders. She was opening her mouth, making repeated "ah" sounds, seemingly eager to communicate something urgent.

“Be careful, she might hurt you!” the tavern keeper warned, moving forward to pull the girl back. However, the girl clung tightly to Luo Jinxiao's legs, refusing to let go. The two of them tugged on her, causing Luo Jinxiao to lean awkwardly to one side, so she raised her hand to stop them.

“Wait a moment. Let’s talk this through. Is she really your daughter?” Luo Jinxiao positioned one hand protectively in front of the girl, which left the tavern keeper unsure of what to do next.

Breathing heavily, the tavern keeper looked up, resting his hands on his waist. “You might not know this, but the girl was born both deaf and mute. She can’t get married, so she has been working in the shop with me. Until a year ago, she was fine. But when she went out alone one day, she vanished for several days. We searched for nights on end but couldn’t find her. When she returned, she was... well, it was like she had lost her mind, constantly wanting to run outside. The moment she steps out, she heads for the mountains.”

“The mountains?” Luo Jinxiao inquired.

“Yes, the very mountain behind the town. One night, I secretly followed her, and it was pitch black. She was sitting alone on a mountaintop, talking to a tree. It frightened me to my core.”

The tavern keeper’s voice grew increasingly somber. “I tried to grab her back. I took just one step forward, and suddenly I fell flat on my face. When I lifted my head again, there was no trace of her anywhere. I searched high and low, rushed back to town, and when I entered the door, there she was, sitting straight at the entrance!”

Perhaps influenced by his tone, a shiver ran down Luo Jinxiao’s spine.

Unable to help herself, she glanced back at Qu Weiyin, who was also frowning, lost in thought.

“Anyway, I see that you gentlemen seem like good people. Please don’t get involved in this matter; just rest for the night and resume your journey in the morning,” the tavern keeper said, and while Luo Jinxiao wasn’t paying attention, he swiftly pulled the girl back, gripping her by the nape of her neck and dragging her into the building.

Luo Jinxiao wanted to step forward to stop him, but Qu Weiyin held her back with a hand.

“Master Uncle, I just saw that girl; she seemed perfectly normal, nothing like someone possessed,” Luo Jinxiao protested, shaking her head.

“I know, but she is still his daughter. As outsiders, if we interfere recklessly, it could lead to trouble,” Qu Weiyin replied flatly, though her eyes seemed to swirl with unspoken thoughts, deep and unfathomable.

The two sat downstairs for a while before they retreated to their rooms. The others were already deep in slumber, and Luo Jinxiao felt exhausted as well. She lay on the soft bedding and soon drifted into a light sleep.

After an unknown period, she was suddenly startled awake by a piercing whistling sound. Instantly, she rolled over and sat up, looking out the window. It was midnight, and there wasn’t a sliver of moonlight; the outside was oppressively dark.