Chapter 73: Sacrifice

As the pill dissolved in her mouth, turning to liquid, Luo Jinxiao barely managed to steady herself. She reached up to touch her lips, where it seemed the lingering scent of Qu Weiyin still hovered—sweet and faint.

Qu Weiyin's pale wrist bore several red marks from where Luo Jinxiao had gripped it tightly. She lowered her gaze, letting her sleeves fall to cover the blush lingering on her skin.

“I told you not to follow me. Why won’t you listen?” Qu Weiyin chided, but as Luo Jinxiao listened, her thoughts drifted elsewhere, her heart racing and her cheeks aflame.

Qu Weiyin waved her hand in front of her in an attempt to regain her attention. “Are you listening?”

“I heard, I’m sorry, Master Uncle.” Luo Jinxiao straightened up, feeling guilt swell inside her as she recollected her previous actions, which had been rather…

Her gaze couldn't help but drift back to Qu Weiyin's tender lips.

Noticing where Luo Jinxiao was looking, Qu Weiyin abruptly turned her body, positioning her ear towards her. Even her delicate earlobe bore a slight blush. “Don’t overthink it; it was just a temporary measure.”

“Once we get outside, I’ll deal with you,” Qu Weiyin said coldly. “That crying sound just now must have been from a Xiao Yu. It lures people nearby to eat them. Thankfully, you ended up with me; otherwise, you wouldn’t even know if you had been eaten.”

“Xiao Yu?” Luo Jinxiao asked in surprise. “The Celestial God?”

“Changming Tower is home to not only demons but also ancient evil gods. No matter how powerful a demon is, it can be dealt with. But once divine power is unleashed, you wouldn’t stand a chance, even the Sect Master wouldn’t survive,” Qu Weiyin stated.

“The suppression of gods over immortals is devastating. If the divine races are not extinct, cultivating as an immortal means nothing,” Qu Weiyin added, her gaze drifting to the distance as she spoke softly.

Luo Jinxiao nodded in agreement. Then, she looked around, trying to find Luo Ning and Yan Ying, but the area was an expanse of desolation, with no sign of life visible. The incessant cries of a baby continued to echo in her ears.

“Yan Ying mentioned that someone has intruded,” Luo Jinxiao suddenly recalled.

“Others?” Qu Weiyin seemed taken aback. She furrowed her brow, realizing it explained the significant disturbance in the barrier earlier, which had nearly collapsed.

She seized Luo Jinxiao’s wrist, pulling her forward into the void. “Yan Ying has been guarding here for many years; she should know how to avoid the evil gods. The sooner we find what we’re looking for, the sooner we can escape.”

“Could it be that the intruders are also after something like the Sect Master?” Luo Jinxiao speculated. “We didn’t disturb the barrier upon entering, but something has caused such tremendous tremors—could it be…”

“Demons,” Qu Weiyin interrupted, her expression turning serious as she regarded Luo Jinxiao.

Both of them shared a tense glance, their expressions grim, and they quickened their pace. Although Luo Jinxiao didn't know what the Sect Master was looking for, she understood that if the demon race got to it first, the consequences would be unthinkable.

Qu Weiyin seemed quite familiar with the path, navigating accurately even in what appeared to be nothingness, deftly avoiding the rolling waves of demonic energy.

Luo Jinxiao followed closely behind her, full of questions, but held her tongue.

Qu Weiyin noticed her confusion as they descended a step. She suddenly spoke up, “Are you wondering how I know the way around here?”