Chapter 51: Absorbing Demonic Energy

Qu Weiyin was startled by Luo Jinxiao's sudden action. For a moment, she could only let out a soft sigh, “I’m not injured; it’s you who got hurt. Don’t let your emotions dictate your actions in the future.”

She felt unable to voice the worry that had gripped her when she’d seen Luo Jinxiao struggle to escape. The sheer terror of that moment had nearly caused her to lose control; thankfully, Luo Jinxiao's injuries were not too severe.

Otherwise...

“Hey! What’s wrong with you? My waist…” The girl on the ground groaned after her crash, clutching her waist and rear while glaring angrily at Luo Jinxiao's back.

Luo Jinxiao seemed to just notice the girl had fallen, turning back with surprise to assess her injuries. She reached out to grasp the girl’s elbow and effortlessly pulled her up.

A smile slipped onto her lips.

“Little Sweet, you’ve worked hard! Get her on your back too; we’ll go from above.” Luo Jinxiao called out, then looked back at Qu Weiyin and lowered her voice, “Master Uncle, I’ll carry you.”

Qu Weiyin’s heart raced for a moment, but she quickly shook her head.

“Traveling like this, if we encounter any demons along the way, it will only increase our troubles. Don’t worry, there’s no one around; no one will see us.” Luo Jinxiao patiently encouraged her.

Looking into Luo Jinxiao’s shimmering eyes, Qu Weiyin felt the urge to refuse but couldn’t find the words. Though there was no wind or storm, the bright sunlight stirred her emotions like ripples on a calm lake, making her heart tremble.

“Let’s go.” Luo Jinxiao playfully tugged at Qu Weiyin’s sleeve, pouting on either side.

“Okay,” Qu Weiyin replied, her cheeks lightly flushed as she nodded indifferently. “But this must remain a secret; you can’t tell anyone.”

Hearing this, Luo Jinxiao beamed and repeatedly promised to keep it under wraps.

In either this life or her previous one, Qu Weiyin had never been carried by anyone besides Qiongqi. As she looked at Luo Jinxiao bending down and waiting for her, an overwhelming sense of shyness enveloped her.

Slowly, she placed her hand on Luo Jinxiao’s shoulder, sliding it down until she was fully pressed against Luo Jinxiao's back.

Despite her slim frame, Luo Jinxiao's shoulders felt sturdy, and there was an inexplicable sense of safety in being in such close proximity, accompanied by a sweet, fragrant scent.

Qu Weiyin stared at her profile, noticing the porcelain-like skin tinged with pink, delicate earlobes adorned with light turquoise earrings.

Behind the earlobe was a tiny mole, one only she could see.

“I’m off!” Luo Jinxiao said cheerfully as she secured Qu Weiyin on her back, summoning her sword and leaping into the air. In no time, they rose high into the sky. With the wind and sand no longer a bother, the demon realm revealed itself in a different light. The sky was a deep crimson, stretching endlessly like an inverted sea of red.

Below them lay a vast expanse of desert, resembling the cracked bark of an ancient tree, occasionally rising and falling.

Behind them, Qiongqi carried three individuals, flapping small wings and puffing as it flew. Qu Weiyin glanced back and couldn’t help but smile.

“Master Uncle, do you think the demon realm is beautiful?” Luo Jinxiao suddenly asked.

“No,” Qu Weiyin answered, shaking her head.