Chapter 33: Humans and Demons

“Got it!” Luo Jinxiao joyfully darted out but quickly paused, wide-eyed as if she had misheard. “Wait, save the tree demon?”

“The tree demon only possesses demonic energy, no malevolent energy; it has never harmed anyone—I can feel it. Moreover, the demonic energy from that day is completely different from this,” Qu Weiyin insisted, her brow furrowed as she urged her onward.

Without hesitation, Luo Jinxiao leapt into the air, her faintly azure figure soaring straight into the crowd, trailing with a silver light like a shooting star, directly shattering the formation. The Qingyan Sect disciples were caught off guard and tumbled into a heap.

“Who dares interfere here!” cried a veiled woman, springing into action with glinting cold light emanating from her sword, pointing its tip straight at Luo Jinxiao.

“Sorry!” Luo Jinxiao raised both hands in a show of non-aggression, offering a sheepish smile to indicate her lack of ill intent.

Seeing Luo Jinxiao clad in deep blue robes, resembling a cultivator, with a graceful appearance and a charming, innocent smile, the woman relaxed her weapon, raising her voice instead. “Fellow immortal, this tree demon has cultivated for a thousand years, transcending the human realm, bringing calamity upon the world. It must be removed. Please step aside and don’t block our path.”

Luo Jinxiao kept her hands raised and continued to back up until she was standing at the foot of the tree. “I mean no harm. However, if you are searching for the root cause of the troubles plaguing Pingxi Town, you might have the wrong target. It would be better to investigate thoroughly first, to avoid harming the innocent.”

Hearing this, the woman scrutinized Luo Jinxiao for a moment and shook her head. “You misunderstand, fellow immortal. Even if we misjudge, this demon has hidden in the human realm for too long; it will eventually bring disaster. We see you are young, so we will not argue with you; please step aside.”

“Wait, let’s talk a little more,” Luo Jinxiao said, glancing up at the moon. It still wasn't noon, and the malevolent demon shouldn’t have arrived yet, so she smiled again and added, “But if it hasn’t committed any wrongdoing, killing it outright would be very inhumane.”

“It is a demon; where is the humanity in that? If you don’t move aside, we will take action!” a man shouted from the side, jumping forward with an angry expression.

As soon as he finished speaking, the man drew his sword and leapt forward, a torrent of force surging straight at Luo Jinxiao's face. Taking a quick glance, Luo Jinxiao assessed her opponents, realizing that their cultivations were at around the Xu Chen level and posed little threat. She decided against drawing her own sword and simply countered his attack with a wave of her hand.

The man found himself momentarily speechless, his surprise visible when the seemingly young girl fended off his strike with such ease. He exchanged glances with his companions, and then they all charged forward together, hoping to overwhelm Luo Jinxiao by forming a collective formation to trap her.

Observing this, Qu Weiyin tightened her grip, preparing to lend Luo Jinxiao a hand. However, before she could act, Luo Jinxiao suddenly appeared to recite a secret mantra. The moisture on the tips of the grass and leaves in the woods instantly froze into frost, converting into sharp ice needles that shot toward the formation’s pulse points, shattering it in an instant.

The Qingyan Sect members exchanged startled glances, utterly bewildered. Qu Weiyin, seeing this, let her hand drop, her expression mingling surprise with confusion, which eventually settled into silence.

Suddenly, the tree demon started to sway its branch-like arms above Luo Jinxiao’s head and clapped enthusiastically as if quite pleased.

Caught off guard by falling leaves and branches, Luo Jinxiao momentarily felt dazed. She rubbed her head, shaking off the debris.