Chapter 72: The Kiss

Luo Jinxiao found herself at a loss for words under Qu Weiyin's penetrating gaze.

“And since this is Changming Tower, I can probably guess what the Sect Master has instructed you to retrieve,” Qu Weiyin said, her eyes drifting across the dense forest to the distance.

Without allowing Luo Jinxiao a chance to respond, she took up her sword and began walking into the woodland to the north.

The four of them once again soared on their swords, and before long, the spruces below them began to thin out. Eventually, they entered an open plain where the grass was lightly dusted with snow, resembling a layer of white carpeting.

Luo Jinxiao noticed that as they progressed, the presence of demons and beasts around them grew faint, as if they were deliberately avoiding some impending danger.

Climbing over a small hill, a massive, flat building suddenly came into view, resembling a sail raised on the sea. It was battered by rain and wind, a dull gray obscuring its form, marked by signs of dust and corrosion from storms.

Beyond the hill, for hundreds of miles, everything was blanketed in white, stretching out straight into the distance. The further they moved forward, the more they could sense a powerful barrier, like an inflated bubble, through which there was chaotic movement.

Surprise filled Luo Jinxiao’s eyes while Lu Fanzhi beside her gasped, her mouth agape as she looked upward. “Is this really Changming Tower? But why doesn’t it look bright? It doesn’t even resemble a tower!”

“Inside Changming Tower, it’s perpetually illuminated. The intense heat dries out the demons and monsters that enter, turning them into spiritual energy that nurtures the heavens and earth,” Luo Ning chimed in suddenly, gazing up in awe, her lashes fluttering slightly.

Luo Jinxiao glanced at her but said nothing.

“All right, you all wait here,” Qu Weiyin instructed as she stepped forward, approaching the entrance of Changming Tower.

Luo Jinxiao hurried to call after her, but before she could speak, Qu Weiyin’s figure had disappeared.

“Elder Sister, what should we do?” Luo Ning caught up with her, her expression anxious. “Are we really just going to wait here while Master Uncle takes a risk alone?”

“How could I let her go in alone? This time, I refuse to listen!” Luo Jinxiao declared. “Luo Ning, you and Lu Fanzhi wait for us or head back first; we’ll be back shortly.” With that, her figure transformed into a beam of white light, vanishing from sight.

Lu Fanzhi shouted after her, but her voice fell on deaf ears. Scratching her head in confusion, she muttered, “So, what are we supposed to do…”

Seeing that Luo Jinxiao had also entered, Luo Ning was even more anxious and stomped her feet. She glanced up at the strange, gigantic “sail” structure before gritting her teeth and sprinting a few steps, her light blue skirt fluttering as she followed them into the tower.

“Luo Ning! Luo Jinxiao! Master Uncle Qu!” Lu Fanzhi exclaimed, feeling overwhelmed. In a matter of moments, everyone had disappeared.

She looked back at the densely packed spruce forest and then turned to the swirling aura of the barrier, her face contorting in distress, almost to the point of tears.

“You’ve got to be kidding me—am I really left all alone again?”

While Lu Fanzhi felt helpless, Luo Jinxiao landed safely inside the tower. With a flick of her hand, the Nu Jue spun into her palm, which she grasped firmly.

At that moment, Luo Ning also appeared at her side. As soon as she landed, a violent gust of demon wind knocked her off balance; fortunately, Luo Jinxiao caught her elbow to steady her.