Chapter 69: Heartfelt Intentions

Upon hearing the words, Luo Jinxiao took a bold step forward, her tall figure squeezing right into the midst of the men. “I’ll take this girl,” she said, her voice cheerful.

The men, realizing that the prize they had almost secured was slipping away, began grumbling, attempting to push Luo Jinxiao aside. However, they were halted by a delicate hand that seized one of their wrists.

The hand belonged to a woman dressed in a stunning red outfit, her beauty striking and enchanting. Her long hair was casually tied back, and despite her slender fingers, her grip was surprisingly strong, making it impossible for the man to break free.

The other men froze in place, suddenly speechless.

Xiuer dared to open her eyes at this moment. Upon seeing Luo Jinxiao, her clear gaze widened in surprise. She stumbled a few steps forward, dropping to her knees and tightly wrapping her arms around Luo Jinxiao’s legs. Tears flowed down her dirty face like a gushing spring, washing away the grime and creating white streaks.

Seeing how pitiful she looked, Luo Jinxiao couldn’t help but feel compassion. She grasped Xiuer’s arm, helping her to her feet.

“Alright, alright. But you came just a bit too late. This demon has already been sold at a price agreed upon with these gentlemen,” the man in the hat said with a troubled tone.

“Exactly, we already…”

Before the men could finish their sentence, they felt a chill run down their backs, and they fell silent.

“How much did they offer? I’ll pay half as much again,” Luo Jinxiao spoke gently, but her smile did not reach her eyes.

“Twenty taels,” the man raised two fingers.

Luo Jinxiao nodded, then turned, leaning close to Qu Weiyin with a mischievous smile. “Master Uncle, can I borrow some silver?”

Qu Weiyin shot a reproachful glance at Luo Jinxiao before reaching into her sleeve and taking out several silver coins, handing them to her.

They led Xiuer into an inn, where they provided water for her to wash up. After a stick of incense had burned, there was a timid knock on the door.

Luo Jinxiao and Qu Weiyin exchanged a glance before opening the door. They found Xiuer already dressed in clean clothes, her hair still damp and cascading down her back.

Despite the demonic aura surrounding her, her eyes remained bright and clear, filled with innocence.

Qu Weiyin stepped forward, placing a hand on Xiuer's forehead, with faint golden spiritual energy flowing into her body, probing gently.

“She’s a half-demon,” Qu Weiyin said, slightly surprised, turning to look at Luo Jinxiao.

“A half-demon?” Luo Jinxiao furrowed her brows and inclined closer to examine Xiuer’s eyes.

Half-demons are originally human but transform into demons due to postnatal opportunities; such cases are quite rare.

“Where's the tree demon?” Luo Jinxiao asked.

As soon as she inquired, it was as if her question had burst a dam. Tears quickly pooled in Xiuer’s eyes, cascading down her cheeks and soaking her newly clothed garment.

Suddenly, she very nearly collapsed to her knees before Luo Jinxiao, babbling in distress. Fortunately, Luo Jinxiao acted swiftly, managing to catch her before she truly knelt.

Neither of them understood sign language, nor could they comprehend Xiuer's speech like the tree demon could, so they had to piece together the story through fragmented gestures and drawings.