Chapter 68: Shy and Bashful

With Chang Suyu no longer around to interject, the remaining disciples naturally kept their comments to themselves as Luo Jinxiao confidently led Qu Weiyin out of the teahouse. As they left, she even turned back to offer a friendly smile to the other disciples.

Once the figures of the two women disappeared through the door, the disciples finally exhaled in relief.

Ke Tao patted his chest, shaking his head in disbelief. “I never knew Luo Senior Sister was so strong that she could overpower Senior Brother Suyu. What do you think their relationship is? Why does Qu Master Uncle show her such leniency?”

“I don’t know. I’ve only heard that Qu Master Uncle has taken good care of Luo Senior Sister since five years ago, and back then, Qu Master Uncle didn’t have such an odd temper. Rumor has it that her personality changed drastically because of Luo Senior Sister’s disappearance,” Baili Xiao whispered.

“Do you think Qu Master Uncle might… have feelings for Luo Senior Sister?” a girl exclaimed, covering her mouth in surprise.

Meanwhile, Luo Jinxiao was oblivious to the gossip. She walked alongside Qu Weiyin by the roadside, their garments fluttering like the wind, drawing the attention of passersby.

However, once those eyes recognized Qu Weiyin, they instinctively looked away.

“Perhaps you should summon Qiongqi here,” Qu Weiyin said helplessly. “At this rate, how long will it take to find what we’re looking for?”

Luo Jinxiao let out a chuckle, realizing she had been too excited and had completely forgotten about Qiongqi. However, she thought, summoning him in the middle of the street would result in scaring the local populace half to death because the beast itself would appear.

Just as she was about to respond, Qu Weiyin suddenly stopped her by raising a hand and nodding her head toward a shop by the roadside that was emanating the tempting aroma of beef.

“There it is,” Qu Weiyin said.

Luo Jinxiao leaned in to glance into the shop and nearly choked on her own saliva. She saw a girl dressed in a light orange gauze dress with two round buns perched on her head, eagerly devouring her food.

Beside her sat a visibly dispirited Tang Lan’er, holding a large piece of beef wrapped in oiled paper, with several more packages piled on the table beside her.

Feeling a pang of embarrassment, Luo Jinxiao glanced at Qu Weiyin with a hint of guilt.

Qu Weiyin's expression remained unchanged, but she lingered her gaze on Tang Lan’er for a moment before taking the lead into the shop.

“Luo Jinxiao! You finally made it! This one is a real cow! Wait, cows don’t eat beef, so it must be a bottomless pit! In just the time it takes to burn a stick of incense, she’s devoured an entire cow!” Tang Lan’er exclaimed as she rushed toward Luo Jinxiao with the fervor of someone seeing their savior.

Yet, as she approached, she felt an icy chill at the back of her head, forcing her to halt in her tracks, glancing back at Qu Weiyin in confusion.

“Where did you go? I even gave you an invitation card, and you didn’t even bother to say thank you before turning away and leaving me with this…” Tang Lan’er gestured toward Qiongqi, momentarily at a loss for words.

“Sorry, I forgot,” Luo Jinxiao replied apologetically as she walked over to Qiongqi and patted its head. “Still hungry?”

Qiongqi eagerly finished its last mouthful of meat before leaping into Luo Jinxiao’s embrace, mumbling softly, “Hungry.”