Chapter 114: If There's No Turning Back (Part 3)✨

To flee or not to flee—that was the dilemma that ensnared Luo Jinxi. Her parents had taught her to be a person of integrity, yet here she stood, caught between her upbringing and her current reality. Wearing a distressed expression, she slapped her own thigh in frustration. How was she supposed to decide? Should she really save a demon?

Qu Weiyin, despite being a demon, didn’t seem all that bad. Her back, once smooth, was now covered in bloody scars, much worse than Luo Jinxi's own minor scratches. With a heavy sigh, Luo Jinxi resolved to help and pulled Qu Weiyin's partially submerged body out of the water.

Qu Weiyin moaned softly, her face etched with pain. Her wounds were pale from being in the water, and Luo Jinxi, after a moment of thought, gently lifted her, making sure her injured back didn’t touch the ground. She recited a water-repelling spell to help.

Contrary to her hard exterior, Qu Weiyin's body was surprisingly soft. Luo Jinxi held her tenderly, even squeezing her hand a bit, which felt like cotton. Her scarred shoulders evoked sympathy. Luo Jinxi applied healing herbs to the wounds, covered Qu Weiyin with her own outer garment, and then lifted her onto her back.

Unsure of where to go, she knew they couldn’t head to any populated area, as their pursuers would be on the lookout. Yet, they couldn’t stay here either. As Luo Jinxi walked, Qu Weiyin’s head rested on her shoulder, her long hair occasionally brushing against Luo Jinxi’s arm.

Through her peripheral vision, Luo Jinxi could make out Qu Weiyin's long eyelashes and the blood-red mark on her forehead. Such a beautiful woman—how wonderful it would be if she weren’t a demon.

From the long night until dawn broke, Luo Jinxi walked tirelessly along the river. Only when a shaft of milky morning light appeared at the river's end did Qu Weiyin finally open her eyes.

She stared at Luo Jinxi's profile for a while before realizing where she was. The girl's shoulders were slender and not fully developed, yet they bore strength. From this angle, Qu Weiyin could see the fine hairs beneath Luo Jinxi's ears.

Qu Weiyin looked down at the garment draped over her. Sensing her movement, Luo Jinxi sighed in relief and said, "You're finally awake."

Qu Weiyin was still in a daze; she had expected Luo Jinxi to leave. After all, who would be foolish enough to save someone who might kill them?

"Those people didn't catch up," Luo Jinxi added, adjusting Qu Weiyin to keep her from slipping.

Qu Weiyin remained silent, her throat feeling blocked. Unable to speak, she gave up and rested her head back on Luo Jinxi's shoulder. The girl, aside from her pretty face, seemed ordinary—just a random capture with no special traits. Yet, Qu Weiyin felt a faint, unfamiliar warmth in her heart. It had been a long time since anyone had shown her such kindness.

Luo Jinxi frowned, looking into the distance, her pink lips pressed in confusion. "Is this the right direction? It seems we're going farther off track."

It is," Qu Weiyin replied, tapping Luo Jinxi's arm and attempting to sound cold. "You can let me down. I can manage this distance."

Luo Jinxi nodded and gently helped Qu Weiyin to her feet. Once standing, Qu Weiyin wrapped the garment around herself, looking slightly irritated. She had never found herself in such a disheveled state, with weak legs, messy hair, and a body covered in wounds.

"Why didn't you run?" Qu Weiyin asked, not looking at Luo Jinxi as she walked ahead, her face expressionless.

Luo Jinxi hurried to keep up, instinctively scratching her head at the question, mumbling, "I thought, at least you're protecting me. I can't be so cold-hearted."