Chapter 63: Longing

Luo Jinxiao had dozed off in the thick snow and wind for a long time, lost in a haze and unsure of what time it was. Eventually, she decided she didn’t want to sleep anymore. She stood up from the icy bed, opened the door, and stepped out into the snowstorm.

The biting cold felt like a knife cutting through her, making her shiver. She raised her hand, gathering spiritual energy at her fingertips to provide illumination as she looked at the snowmen in front of her. They were indeed a bit crooked but stood quite steadily.

The largest of the snowmen had two rosy cheeks, giving it a somewhat silly, charming aura.

“The snow is blowing down from high up. With the recent cold snap and the fierce winds, we should move them inside,” she murmured to herself.

A voice came from behind her, and she turned to see the Sect Master standing there, her white robes fluttering wildly in the wind. Her silver hair nearly blended into the snowstorm, giving her a fragile and cold appearance.

Luo Jinxiao smiled faintly and shook her head. “It’s nothing. If they fall over, I can just rebuild them.”

The Sect Master stepped forward a few paces, standing beside her at the edge of the cliff, both of them gazing down at the vast expanse of hills and valleys beneath them. Each day presented an unchanging view, nothing but a gloomy landscape that resembled a hanging painting, with the same dull scene staring back at them all day.

Yet Luo Jinxiao still enjoyed standing here, watching day after day.

“Are you thinking of that person?” the Sect Master asked.

Luo Jinxiao turned her head to glance at her but remained silent with a smile.

“How is Zhao Zhao doing recently?” Luo Jinxiao finally asked.

“I’ve told you many times—call me Beisang, I’m no longer the Sect Master,” the woman sighed, a hint of sadness creeping into her eyes. “Her final soul fragment will soon vanish.”

After decades of guarding her, it all felt utterly meaningless.

Compassion welled up in Luo Jinxiao's heart. She took off her outer garment and gently draped it over the Sect Master’s shoulders, smiling as she said, “Then let’s go see her again.”

The Sect Master coughed gently and agreed.

Ever since she had helped Luo Jinxiao save a life that day, her own condition had deteriorated. It was uncertain whether it was due to her age or because she hadn't practiced in a long time, but the sudden expenditure of energy had left her struggling to recover.

Luo Jinxiao noticed this and felt guilty, which is why she never mentioned her desire to leave.

Even though time had passed, her longing had not waned in the slightest. She often imagined what kind of life Qu Weiyin was leading down the mountain and whether she had forgotten her.

Generations within Wuhui Sect had come and gone, and a new crop of familiar disciples had appeared.

Luo Jinxiao took one last look at the rosy-cheeked snowman before helping the Sect Master into the cave.

Inside, nothing much had changed since five years ago, except for the addition of a large, fluffy cat. Compared to five years prior, Qiongqi had grown considerably, and now Luo Jinxiao could no longer lift her.

But at the same time, she had lost some weight, and to keep warm, her fur had become even thicker. This made Luo Jinxiao reflect on how animals' adaptability surpassed her own by a long shot.

Zhao Zhao lay there as she always had, utterly motionless. The Sect Master lifted her skirts and knelt by the coffin, leaning over to watch her intently.