Chapter 56: Unable to Let Go

Qu Weiyin’s thoughts were suddenly interrupted as she turned her gaze to Luo Jinxiao, the redness around her eyes becoming even more pronounced.

However, she quickly suppressed her emotions, withdrawing her hand and biting her lip, remaining silent.

Luo Jinxiao felt her heart ache even more at the sight. She stepped in front of Qu Weiyin and sternly commanded, “What are you all standing around for? Scatter now!”

The surrounding disciples were startled by her shout and recoiled a few steps. A man in white stepped forward and said, “Luo Jinxiao, these are your senior brothers and sisters; how can you be so disrespectful?”

“Yet you can be disrespectful to Master Uncle Qu?” Luo Jinxiao’s fierce demeanor was rare; her eyes widened in anger.

The man stammered in response, while another voice among the crowd whispered, “We’ve all heard the rumors. If Master Uncle Qu truly is a demon, what’s there to talk about in terms of courtesy?”

“No one can prove that Master Uncle is a demon. As of now, she is still your Master Uncle, and to blindly listen to others and act accordingly is utterly preposterous,” Luo Jinxiao replied through gritted teeth.

Without further ado, she raised Wu Jue, brandishing the sword in front of her, its tip pointed directly at them, flashing with cold light.

“I don’t care if you’re senior brothers or sisters; anyone who doesn’t back off will face my wrath!”

Though she was slender, the chilling light in her eyes made her appear formidable.

Finally, the crowd began to disperse. Although they didn’t know the extent of Luo Jinxiao’s abilities, they were wary of her status as the top contender of the recent Ten Directions Conference. Some, more fiercely defiant, spat a few curses but ultimately chose to flee.

Luo Jinxiao lowered her sword and turned to look at Qu Weiyin, opening her mouth, but words eluded her.

In the end, it was Qu Weiyin who spoke first, her voice weary and soft. “Where have you been?”

“I…” Luo Jinxiao hesitated, unable to find the words.

“Forget it. As long as you’re back, that’s enough,” Qu Weiyin replied, appearing weary and unwilling to discuss further. She turned and began walking deeper into the forest, saying, “I want to go back and rest.”

Luo Jinxiao hurried to catch up with her, feeling an overwhelming sense of loneliness and fragility in her figure. Unable to restrain herself, she asked, “Why do you tolerate them? They merely believe the rumors, a bunch of rabble.”

Qu Weiyin slowed her steps, suddenly recalling her past life—how she had endured and endured until she could no longer manage it, but she had always thought to wait a little longer, perhaps they would treat her kindly.

In this life, she had not intended to endure again; she had briefly considered fully embracing the path of demonic cultivation.

Yet now, there were still things she couldn’t let go of, preventing her from fully severing her ties.

Concluding her thoughts, she opted for silence, instead asking, “What if I really became as they say?”

“You won't,” Luo Jinxiao replied firmly.

“What if?” Qu Weiyin persisted.

Luo Jinxiao fell into silence, never having considered this question before. What if, in this life, Qu Weiyin truly became a bloodthirsty demon lord? Would she choose to betray her or stand against her?