Chapter 109: Don't Be Afraid

The room was filled with a heavy silence that stretched on for what felt like an eternity before the sect leader finally broke the stillness.

“What kind of joke is this?” Her voice trembled slightly.

“This is no joke,” Luo Jinxiao replied, raising her gaze to meet the sect leader’s eyes. Her dark pupils blinked away the moisture, filled now with determination. “If it were, why would he have said those words?”

Her gaze swept across the faces opposite her, each wearing an expression of deep concern. Suddenly, she broke into a smile. “Alright, let’s just treat this as a jest. Perhaps this so-called catastrophe is nothing more than an unprecedented downpour, and everything will return to normal by tomorrow.”

Everyone could feel the dissipating spiritual energy in the air, and they all understood that this was no ordinary rain.

Yet, no one spoke further.

“She’s still waiting for me; I need to go back and be with her,” Luo Jinxiao said as she stood up and headed for the door, but the sect leader stopped her.

“Are you going to tell her?” the sect leader asked.

Luo Jinxiao paused in the rain-soaked night, her slender silhouette silhouetted against the darkness. She stood still for a moment, then shook her head before vanishing into the curtain of rain.

Luo Ning swayed slightly, collapsing into a chair, and Yanying hurriedly crouched down beside her, grasping her hands with worry as she looked up.

“Why am I so useless? I have half the blood of the divine race, yet I possess almost no divine power. I can’t help with anything,” she lamented.

“I’m the real failure,” she murmured.

“You’ve already done so much. You brought her back all on your own and found a way for her to regain her divine form. You’ve endured enough,” Yanying said, trying to soften her tone in comfort.

“I thought I had done enough, but I went through all of that just to bring my sister back, only to send her to her death?” Luo Ning buried her head in her knees.

Her shoulders trembled as she cried.

She hadn’t anticipated that after everything, her sister and Qu Weiyin would be denied the peace they so desperately sought.

“Why is it like this? What wrong have they done? What wrong have living beings done? Why won’t the heavens let us be?” she gritted her teeth, anger flashing in her eyes. “Why don’t they ever consider the good and evil of the world? Why is there so much confusion about right and wrong?”

Yanying had long since lost track of how to respond. Her own tears streamed down her cheeks as she embraced Luo Ning, looking up at the pitch-black sky and silently pleading for mercy.

In moments like this, when desperation ruled, there was little else to do but plead.

The sect leader averted her gaze and moved to the entrance, quietly observing the night sky filled with rain, her hands gripping her sleeves tightly.

The upper mountains remained calm, while below, chaos had already erupted. Wuzhong City was submerged, and the heavy rain gradually spread across the land, showing no signs of stopping.

Fields that were nearly ready for harvest were washed away, rivers surged dangerously, and landslides cascaded down, flooding towns and causing homes to collapse.

The punishment brought forth by the heavens was retributive and devastating, indifferent to age and virtue, treating everyone alike as mere insects, with no distinction.