Chapter 96: It's You

After a long while, Qu Weiyin gradually stopped her sobbing, her body becoming calmer, her breathing more regular.

Luo Jinxiao extended her hand and gently caressed Qu Weiyin's face, wiping away the remnants of her tears. The woman was deeply asleep, so much so that even the turmoil hadn’t roused her.

Luo Jinxiao laid Qu Weiyin flat on the bed, watching her quietly, her dark brows furrowed and her expression serious.

What had Qu Weiyin endured over these three years? It seemed as though she hadn’t fared well.

In the demon realm, there were no distinctions between day and night, and after sleeping for a long time, Qu Weiyin finally opened her eyes.

When she woke, Luo Jinxiao was still by her bedside, bored and busy plaiting her own hair into a series of braids.

“You’re awake!” Luo Jinxiao exclaimed, suddenly standing up.

Qu Weiyin looked at her with suspicion, wearily propping herself up, and made a soft noise in acknowledgment.

Luo Jinxiao poured a cup of tea for her and hesitated before asking, “Demon lord, did you go through this before?”

“You mean the nightmares?” Qu Weiyin raised her eyes, studying Luo Jinxiao before suddenly arching an eyebrow and warning, “This matter must not be spoken of; otherwise, be careful for your life.”

Then, she glanced at the cup in her hand and added, “As for the past, I’ve long since forgotten.”

Her tone was heavy as she spoke those words, and Luo Jinxiao felt her heart plummet.

Qu Weiyin set the tea cup down and got up again, her demeanor growing cold and indifferent as she headed for the door. She paused at the threshold and said, “You stay here and don't go anywhere. And, if you don’t want to die, don’t touch that sword.”

With that, she stepped out, the hem of her garment disappearing through the door.

A loud thud echoed from outside; it turned out that when Qu Weiyin opened the door, she collided directly with Qingyi, who had been left there by Luo Jinxiao last night. Qingyi fell to the ground as a result of the impact.

Qu Weiyin jumped in surprise, glancing down at Qingyi. She gave a little kick to Qingyi's outstretched wrist and then turned to look back at Luo Jinxiao, who was standing there like a deer caught in headlights.

Luo Jinxiao quickly directed her gaze upward, avoiding any eye contact.

After a moment, the sounds of footsteps receded. Luo Jinxiao finally breathed a sigh of relief and rushed to the doorway, only to discover that Qu Weiyin paid no mind to Qingyi, who remained sprawled on the ground.

A surge of joy welled up within Luo Jinxiao, and she stepped over Qingyi with determined strides.

She was eager to find out where Qu Weiyin was headed.

The demon palace was mostly deserted, and Qu Weiyin's fire-red figure flickered as she turned a few corners, quickly navigating the twisted corridors. She approached a dark door, revealing a steep flight of stairs leading down into darkness.

Before entering the dark doorway, Qu Weiyin intentionally checked her surroundings for any followers. However, with Luo Jinxiao now protected by divine power, she remained unnoticed.

Once she was sure there was no threat, Qu Weiyin descended the stairs. The torches flickered unevenly, casting shadows that rose and fell, and Luo Jinxiao dared not follow too closely, waiting for Qu Weiyin to reach the bottom first.