Chapter 25: Illusion (Combined Inversion)

Though Qu Weiyin was surprised, she complied. Luo Jinxiao raised her hand, and the narrow cave entrance soon frosted over, becoming encrusted with layers of ice, sealing it tightly.

Flames roared outside, and the cave walls continued to tremble, but inside it was cool, except for the warmth radiating from the bodies pressed closely together.

The two were in extremely close proximity, with Luo Jinxiao nearly cradling Qu Weiyin in her arms. The slender waist of the woman was held tightly, and it was difficult to discern whose scent lingered in the air.

As Qu Weiyin quieted down, she suddenly became aware of her heart racing wildly. Since Luo Jinxiao was slightly taller, she had to tilt her head just enough to see the opposite wall over her shoulder.

Time seemed to halt, and after an indeterminate period, the noises outside finally subsided. Through the ice-covered entrance, they could faintly see the massive head of the Candle Dragon moving away.

Both of them finally let out a sigh of relief. Qu Weiyin attempted to push Luo Jinxiao away but soon realized that the cave was too narrow; they were already at the farthest possible distance from each other.

“What are you doing back here? Are you trying to get yourself killed?” Qu Weiyin looked up, anger filling her phoenix eyes.

“It’s a long story. After going down that last tunnel, there were many forks, and I thought I might find a path to reach you, so I circled around to try,” Luo Jinxiao explained.

Feeling intimidated by the intensity of Qu Weiyin's gaze, she instinctively reached to scratch her head to ease the embarrassment, only to realize that her hand was still resting on Qu Weiyin's waist.

Clearing her throat, she stood up straight.

Qu Weiyin was too weary to argue further. Her remaining anger brewed as she coldly asked, “Is it even possible to go back?”

Upon hearing this, Luo Jinxiao quickly nodded with a smile. “I’ve made a mark. Even though this cave is narrow, it connects with other passages, as if it were excavated by someone. Could it be that the tomb of the gods was built by humans?”

Qu Weiyin shot her a glare and pushed her to the side. “Do you think the Divine Clan was wiped out for no reason? Do you think the Celestial Realm turned into ruins without a cause?”

With a twitch of her slender waist, Qu Weiyin freed herself from Luo Jinxiao’s embrace and stepped away, distancing herself. “The demise of the Divine Clan was due to internal strife and infighting. The tomb of the gods wasn’t built by deities; it was built by humans.”

“Just like not all cultivators are good people, neither are the gods,” Qu Weiyin added, her expression indifferent.

Luo Jinxiao attempted to respond, but just then, another commotion erupted outside. Assuming the Candle Dragon had returned, she hurriedly reached out to grab Qu Weiyin, but Qu Weiyin roughly swatted her hand away.

Feeling wronged, Luo Jinxiao rubbed her hand. “Master Uncle…”

“Don’t move. There are people outside,” Qu Weiyin said, frowning as she turned her gaze toward the ice-covered entrance. “Are there others coming in?”

Luo Jinxiao strained to listen as well and quickly recognized the footfalls. She surprisedly took a couple of steps forward and knocked on the ice, creating a fist-sized hole.

Peering through the hole, she unexpectedly locked eyes with Yan Ying.

“Idiot, your idiotic sister is here,” Yan Ying rolled her eyes.