Chapter 70: Flippant

Inside the room, the lights were extinguished, and no glow seeped through the cracks of the door. The hallway was enveloped in darkness and silence, occasionally broken by the loud snores of neighboring guests.

She must be asleep, Luo Jinxiao sighed, catching a whiff of the alcohol on her clothes. She prepared to head back to her own room to take a bath.

Just as she turned around, a sudden loud noise erupted from inside, as if something heavy had fallen. Startled, she froze and quickly turned back to knock on Qu Weiyin’s door.

“Master Uncle? Master Uncle!” she called twice, but there was still no response. Growing anxious, she slapped her palm against the door, her spiritual energy severing the latch. The wooden door creaked open wide.

Entering the room, she saw Qu Weiyin lying on the bed in the moonlight, one hand propping her head, her brow tightly furrowed as if she were trapped in a nightmare. The object that had fallen was the Moonlight Star Sword, and the sword spirit was sprawled on the floor, rubbing its bottom.

Luo Jinxiao let out a sigh of relief. She closed the door quietly and tiptoed to Qu Weiyin’s bedside, intending to cover her with a blanket.

However, the sword spirit suddenly sprang up from the ground and attempted to bite Luo Jinxiao's hand, leaving a mark of tiny teeth on her fair skin.

Luo Jinxiao winced and pulled her hand back. “Ouch! What was that for?”

“Get out! You’re not welcome here,” the sword spirit exclaimed fiercely, despite its small stature.

“Is Master Uncle feeling unwell? She looks so pale,” Luo Jinxiao crouched down, observing Qu Weiyin’s face, before reaching out to touch her smooth forehead.

She didn’t seem sick at all.

“If you truly care about her, then stay away! You’ll only add to her worries,” the sword spirit said with disdain, clearly unhappy with Luo Jinxiao.

Ignoring the sword spirit, Luo Jinxiao had been startled by the earlier commotion, and the last remnants of her intoxication faded instantly, leaving her more clear-headed.

She reached out, channeling her silver and white spiritual energy into Qu Weiyin’s body to investigate.

The celestial meridian was strong, and her spiritual energy abundant, but amidst it all, dark energy swirled, consistently clashing with the spiritual power, vying for dominance. Though Qu Weiyin was formidable, the dark energy was gradually growing stronger, and it wouldn’t be long before it contended against her spiritual energy.

Suddenly, the dark energy surged, causing Qu Weiyin's delicate brows to furrow tightly, forming a frown that resembled a river. In a whisper of pain, her jade-like body curled up, hugging her arms as if seeking safety like a child.

Seeing her in agony twisted Luo Jinxiao’s heart, and she felt an unbearable ache. She turned her palm over and withdrew her spiritual energy while trying to absorb the dark energy into herself.

“Hey, hey! Are you crazy? That's dark energy!" the sword spirit exclaimed in alarm, attempting to block Luo Jinxiao’s approach. But even before it could get close, it heard a soft groan escape Luo Jinxiao. Suddenly, a sharp pain shot through her chest, nearly causing her to spit blood.

In an instant, she went from crouching to kneeling, supporting herself against the bed’s edge.

The dark energy was indeed formidable; not only could she not extract it, but she nearly ruptured her heart and lungs in the process.

“Two lunatics,” the sword spirit said, momentarily stunned before scolding them.

Once Luo Jinxiao regained her composure, she turned her face to ask, “How long has she been like this?”