Chapter 82: A Peck

Luo Jinxiao felt a pang of sweetness in her heart. She exerted all her strength to hold Qu Weiyin, softly saying, “I won’t run off with anyone else. I’ll stick with you, in this life and the next.”

After what felt like ages, as Qu Weiyin’s body gradually relaxed and she sank into a deep sleep, Luo Jinxiao carefully laid her back down on the bed. Sitting beside her, she smiled contentedly, her heart overflowing with joy at having finally received Qu Weiyin's affirmation of care. The joy overshadowed any thoughts of the challenges that lay ahead.

At that moment, the flickering candlelight enveloped the two of them in warmth and tranquility.

Luo Jinxiao watched Qu Weiyin for a while, then leaned down stealthily to kiss Qu Weiyin’s lips softly, giving her a light peck before lifting her head and breaking into a silly smile.

Her heart swelled, filled with bubbles of sweetness.

---

The next morning, Qu Weiyin awoke with aches from her internal injuries, her eyes fluttering open to find the space around her empty, leaving her momentarily disoriented. As she tried to turn and sit up, a long arm, with the sleeves rolled up, reached out to steady her shoulder and helped lift her up.

Then, Luo Jinxiao’s radiant smile came into view. Although her features were growing more mature, the familiar cuteness and dimples remained.

Upon recalling her words from the previous night, Qu Weiyin suddenly found it hard to meet Luo Jinxiao’s gaze.

“You sat here and guarded me all night?” she asked.

“Yes, but it was more than just that. Look,” Luo Jinxiao said as she draped a coat over Qu Weiyin’s shoulders, taking her hand and pulling her outside. They came upon a small, low table where Qiongqi sat cross-legged, scratching his head as he glanced at a scroll and mumbled to himself.

“Qiongqi?” Qu Weiyin turned back, confused.

“Yes! It’s all her fault for making Master Uncle angry, running off to eat and drink while I had to make her read the *Three Character Classic*. Otherwise, she won’t get any beef to eat in the future.”

“That was my misunderstanding. How could you…” Qu Weiyin shook her head, but then her tone shifted. “Though it’s good for her to learn; she’ll be better equipped to communicate with others in the future.”

“I think that’s wonderful,” Luo Jinxiao replied with a bright smile, ignoring Qiongqi as she turned back to Qu Weiyin. “Let’s cultivate together today—it’ll be great for your recovery.”

Qu Weiyin had just opened her mouth to agree when she suddenly recalled something, her expression shifting as she shook her head. “I still have to teach a class today.”

“Your body is like this, and you still want to teach? I’ll go for you,” Luo Jinxiao insisted.

Qu Weiyin helplessly patted Luo Jinxiao’s shoulder. “That’s not okay. It’s nothing serious; it’s just the demonic energy acting up, causing some agitation. It’s no big deal.”

Her gaze held a gentle warmth that could drown someone in affection as her fingertips brushed against Luo Jinxiao’s earlobe, tucking the falling strands of hair behind her ear.

“You go do what you have to.”

Feeling a rush of affection, Luo Jinxiao couldn’t bring herself to insist anymore. She was somewhat dazed as Qu Weiyin nudged her toward the door, but just as she was about to leave, she suddenly clung to the doorframe, poking her head back inside with a pitiful look. “I stayed up all night for you, and now you want to send me away as soon as you wake up?”