Chapter 83: Entering the Demon Path

“What kind of artifact is it? Can't you just send someone else to fetch it?” Luo Jinxiao grumbled.

“Since it’s an artifact, how could it be just anyone fetching it? It's a lamp left behind by the Divine Realm. It is said that the wick retains divine souls, and this year it’s Wuhui Sect’s turn for the sacrificial offering; we need to summon the divine souls,” Qu Weiyin explained.

Luo Jinxiao thought for a moment. With the divine festival still some time away, she could quickly go and return without issues.

“Then… can you give me another kiss?” Luo Jinxiao asked with a silly grin.

To her surprise, Qu Weiyin smacked her lightly on the head, calling her too greedy.

Determined to return quickly, Luo Jinxiao did not delay and set off that night on her sword. To avoid alarming anyone, she didn’t inform anyone about her departure.

Her speed on the sword was remarkable; she flew with the wind, not stopping to rest, and arrived at Xumi Mountain Manor in just two days. By the time she saw the place again, her heart wasn’t filled with the same excitement as before, but it still surged with emotion.

She was greeted by the same old elder with graying hair as last time. After a brief exchange of pleasantries, the elder asked her to wait in her room while he went to fetch the artifact.

Feeling a bit bored while alone, Luo Jinxiao stood by the window, watching the disciples of Xumi Mountain Manor cultivate. The place rarely took in apprentices, and the teachings there differed from ordinary cultivators. The pace was leisurely; one could only observe leaves fluttering without even stirring up a speck of dust.

As she watched, tranquility began to settle in her heart.

“Little fellow!” Suddenly, the elder rushed in through the door with the lamp in his hands, an expression of alarm on his face.

Luo Jinxiao hurried to support him, surprised. “What happened, Elder?”

“It’s not me; it’s Wuhui Sect! A calamity has struck!” the elder exclaimed, his beard fluffing in a distressed manner.

Upon hearing this, Luo Jinxiao’s heart raced into her throat, her voice quavering. “What happened?”

“Word just came that the Demon Clan suddenly launched a massive attack on the Wuhui Sect yesterday, sweeping through the city of Wuzhong below the mountain, resulting in countless casualties among the civilians!”

“Just a few decades have passed since the last battle between the Immortals and the Demons. Not only has the Demon Realm regained strength, but it has also given rise to several extremely powerful branches that leave Wuhui Sect at a loss. We must hurry to assist you,” the elder urged.

Luo Jinxiao instinctively tried to leave, but the elder caught her arm, saying, “Wait! The area outside Wuhui Sect is crawling with demonic creatures, raging like mad. How will you get back? It’s safer to go with us than to venture alone.”

“Thank you for your concern, Elder, but I must go,” Luo Jinxiao insisted, her heart racing with urgency.

“Take the Divine Soul Lamp. After all, it’s a powerful artifact, and it might be useful,” the elder pressed, shoving the ever-burning lamp into her hands.

“Thank you…” Luo Jinxiao started to say but was suddenly struck by a wave of unease, her surroundings distorting before her eyes.

Stumbling a few steps, she quickly released her grip on the lamp and stowed it away in her pouch. The strange sensation vanished the moment she stopped direct contact with it.