Chapter 48: Face Touching

Qu Weiyin kept her head down as she quickly walked past Luo Jinxiao without saying a word.

Luo Jinxiao patted Qiongqi's head, and the pair—one person and one beast—quickly followed her. Qu Weiyin’s demeanor seemed weary, and she didn’t speak, as if lost in thought.

Understanding the unspoken cue, Luo Jinxiao wisely chose not to disturb her.

Before long, the sun began to set, and the autumn daylight noticeably shortened. The sky turned a deep red, and night fell swiftly. The streets soon became sparsely populated, with only a few people rushing along.

The surroundings grew increasingly quiet. A young boy holding a candied fruit stick seemed to have lost his family, crying loudly as he stumbled along the main road.

Unbeknownst to him, a shadow had been trailing him, floating like smoke but lingering ominously close.

The boy remained oblivious to the danger, continuing to cry out for his parents.

He turned a corner and entered a dark alley, fear evident in his increasing pace as his footsteps quickened.

The shadow, too, accelerated, coming closer and closer. Then, with a gust of wind, it suddenly lunged at the boy’s back. At that moment, a flicker of flame appeared, and a red sword swooped down, cleaving off a portion of the shadow. A thick, black liquid gushed out, accompanied by a piercing scream that sounded hauntingly inhuman, leaving an aching sensation in the gums.

Luo Jinxiao covered her ears with one hand and grasped the shadow with the other, shaking it while exclaiming, "What is this thing? It looks like cotton!"

Qu Weiyin bent down to help the sobbing boy, who could barely catch his breath, casting a sidelong glance at the shadow. "It's a demon seed, the unformed essence of demonic energy."

Upon hearing this, Luo Jinxiao grimaced as she tossed the shadow far away, wiping her hands on her skirt to clean them and muttering, "Demonic energy can take shape? If this thing turns into a person, it must look hideous."

Qu Weiyin smirked slightly at her words.

A few people ran into the alley, and when the boy saw them, he cried and dashed over. They quickly retrieved the child, but before they could exchange a word, they scooped him up and turned to flee, vanishing from sight in no time.

Luo Jinxiao stood on tiptoe, muttering, "They couldn't even say thank you."

Qu Weiyin flicked her fingertips at Luo Jinxiao's forehead, slightly raising her chin and gesturing towards the writhing shadow on the ground. "Quiet, follow it."

Luo Jinxiao rubbed her head and replied with a soft "Okay," then quietly trailed behind the shadow.

The shadow crawled at a slow pace, resembling a gigantic insect from afar. Luo Jinxiao held her breath, fearing it would vanish if she blinked.

After turning a couple of corners, the shadow began to speed up, eventually slipping into a dilapidated abandoned shack, the doorway nearly shattered and the stone steps leading up to it covered in thick moss, appearing filthy under the night sky.

Luo Jinxiao cautiously approached, but Qu Weiyin suddenly yanked her back.

"Be careful, stay behind me," Qu Weiyin instructed, pulling Luo Jinxiao behind her.

"There is an entrance to the demon realm here," Qu Weiyin whispered. She then summoned her spiritual power, golden energy flowing from her palm, wrapping around both of them and concealing their presence.

Inside the house, it was pitch black, and Luo Jinxiao had no idea what dangers lurked in the shadows. Unable to resist, she reached out and grasped Qu Weiyin's wrist.