Chapter 75: Acting Cute

Luo Jinxiao wiped the water from her face, a wave of unease washing over her. She also felt a complex mix of emotions.

The earlier situation was so strange; where had that power come from? She glanced down at her hands.

Not only was it power, but why did her mind feel so altered? While she could remember everything and was well aware of her actions, the manner in which she acted was entirely different from before.

Now that she had returned to normal, everything felt even stranger.

Lost in thought, her gaze shifted back to Qu Weiyin. She sighed, lamenting a missed opportunity; it seemed she hadn't managed to kiss her after all.

Nearby, Qiongqi let out a small grunt, and Luo Jinxiao hurried over to check on him. She reached out to rub his round little belly, feeling relieved when she realized he was all right—just exhausted from being forced back into his smaller form.

Luo Jinxiao summoned her spiritual energy to heal him and, once finished, tucked him back into her bag.

Meanwhile, Yan Ying finally managed to coax Luo Ning into drinking some spring water. Luo Ning wobbled to her feet, retrieving the scroll from her sleeve and tossing it to Luo Jinxiao.

“Here, this is what you all risked your lives to retrieve. I opened it earlier, but there’s nothing inside,” Yan Ying said, rolling her eyes. The gesture was quite evident on her darkened face.

Luo Jinxiao caught the scroll steadily, holding it for a moment before responding with a thank you.

Under the daylight, the full extent of Yan Ying's plight became clear. Her clothes were tattered, and her face was blackened, making her look like she had just emerged from a soot-filled furnace, standing next to her peacock.

Noticing Luo Jinxiao's gaze, Yan Ying instinctively wrapped herself more with a ragged piece of cloth.

“Go ahead and laugh if you want! I'm homeless now anyway; I might as well return to Changming Tower and turn to essence to nourish the heavens and earth,” Yan Ying grumbled angrily.

“You're going back?” Luo Ning exclaimed, using the ground for support as she stood, her petite figure wobbling. Luo Jinxiao quickly rushed over to steady her.

“If you go back, if I ever see you again, may the heavens strike me down!” Luo Ning declared, biting her lip as her beautiful eyes widened in concern.

Yan Ying's face crinkled in dismay, her brows furrowing as she hesitated to lift her head.

“All right, you’ve guarded for five years; that counts as atonement. Moreover, with Changming Tower no longer a safe place to stay, why not return to Wuhui Sect first and let the Elders decide?” Luo Jinxiao suggested, feeling a pang of compassion.

“I think that sounds good.” Yan Ying quickly changed her attitude, picking up the black-feathered chicken and placing it on her shoulder, unable to contain the smile creeping onto her face, her pearly white teeth shining brightly.

Luo Jinxiao watched, feeling a twinge of sadness.

After all, she was the daughter of a prestigious cultivation family, someone who had once been held in high regard, yet because of the ignorance of the previous generation, she had fallen into the mud.

Fortunately, she seemed to have enough spirit and vitality, not appearing overly fragile.

Luo Jinxiao walked back to Qu Weiyin, holding out the scroll for her to see.

Qu Weiyin gingerly took the scroll, opening it with a slight tremor. There were indeed no words inscribed, but she nodded, saying, “This is definitely it. You should take this back and present it to the Sect Master.”