Chapter 10: Assistance ✨

Luo Jinxiao blinked in surprise, momentarily at a loss for words.

Qu Weiyin, however, was distracted by the sight of Luo Jinxiao's fluttering eyelashes, thinking how soft they might feel if she tugged on them.

Never one to hesitate, Qu Weiyin reached out and gave them a firm tug.

“Ouch!” Luo Jinxiao yelped, quickly stepping back to distance herself from Qu Weiyin's mischievous grasp.

"Uh, it's nothing," she stammered, feeling a wave of relief. She was grateful the "demoness" didn't hold her actions against her, or she would have been in even deeper trouble.

Qu Weiyin glanced at her own fingertips, then steadied herself and looked at Luo Jinxiao with a probing gaze.

Luo Jinxiao sat rigidly, feeling like she was on pins and needles under Qu Weiyin's scrutiny, wishing the moment would pass quickly. She just wanted to return to her sweeping duties.

"It seems you already knew about the gu in my body," Qu Weiyin said, tilting her head slightly. She extended a cool hand, a result of her unwell state, and gently lifted Luo Jinxiao’s chin.

"Look up," Qu Weiyin commanded, her tone indifferent.

Luo Jinxiao, hearing this, gritted her teeth and raised her head, her gaze evasive but not denying anything.

"How could someone considered useless for over a decade detect such a complex gu technique? Could it be that you were pretending all along?" Qu Weiyin continued.

"I couldn't cultivate, so I had to study other things to pass the time," Luo Jinxiao replied with a slight smile, trying to sound matter-of-fact.

"Even I can't always predict when it will flare up or how to stabilize it. You've used your time quite well," Qu Weiyin mused, nodding thoughtfully.

Luo Jinxiao feigned a nod, maintaining her smile.

Inwardly, she was filled with questions. How could someone from the renowned Qu family have been implanted with a gu since childhood, and yet no one noticed for so long?

But she was too timid to ask.

"Enough. You can go now." Qu Weiyin seemed to have grown tired of the conversation. She withdrew her hand, turning to walk back to the window, slowly leaning against the elegant couch.

Noble, graceful, her dark hair cascading down, adding a touch of allure.

Luo Jinxiao quickly averted her gaze, bowed, then rushed to the door.

A gust of wind struck her face, causing the loose strands of hair on her forehead to flutter. Quick as a flash, Luo Jinxiao grabbed the door frame, barely saving herself from being thrown out as half of her body almost flew out.

Stunned, she looked down, her temper flaring. Who in their right mind would build a house on the edge of a cliff?

Even if they sought a beautiful view, there was no need to place the door at the cliff's edge!

Luo Jinxiao took a deep breath, pulling herself back with all her strength. She turned to look at Qu Weiyin and found her with her eyes closed, completely still; she appeared to have fallen asleep.

However, her brows were tightly knitted, as if troubled by nightmares.

Luo Jinxiao couldn't bring herself to disturb her, so she turned back to figure out a way down herself.

If it were her past self, she could have casually recited a teleportation spell, or summoned her sword to ride down in no time at all. But with her current level of cultivation, climbing down seemed to offer more possibility than anything else.