Chapter 34: Sleeping Together

At that moment, the veiled woman who had been silently standing to the side stepped forward. Luo Jinxiao quickly extended her arm to block her path, saying, “You aren’t seriously thinking about capturing the demon again, are you? You’ve seen it—this one isn’t the one causing harm.”

The veiled woman hesitated momentarily, her steps faltering, and a look of reluctance filled her gaze.

“But if my senior brother were here, he definitely wouldn’t let a demon roam free among humans,” she replied, shaking her head.

“That's utterly unreasonable! You can’t say it’s wrong just for being born as a demon. Look how close they are! It shows that the demon has treated this girl well, at least a thousand times better than those townsfolk,” Luo Jinxiao argued passionately.

“While you make a valid point…” the woman continued to shake her head, but her resolve seemed to waver, and she didn't lift her weapon again.

After a moment, she clenched her teeth and turned to Luo Jinxiao, saying, “My senior brother will be back soon. He abhors evil with a passion and will not spare any demon. When that happens, there will be another round of contention. You should let the girl leave quickly; the world is vast, and there are places where demons can survive.”

Hearing this, Luo Jinxiao smiled brightly and cupped her hands in gratitude. “Thank you very much!”

“Do you have a name, fellow immortal? At such a young age to possess such high cultivation, it’s truly admirable,” the woman inquired in return.

“Luo Jinxiao,” came the answer.

“Chi Yi,” she replied with a smile.

“Enough,” Qu Weiyin interjected coldly from the side. “Be careful not to waste time.”

Qu Weiyin stepped confidently to the side of the tree demon, her tone softening as she spoke to it quietly. The tree demon showed a look of gratitude before lowering its head to gaze at Xiu’er.

“She is human after all. If she were to leave with you just like this…” Qu Weiyin’s expression was troubled, but Xiu’er seemed to understand. She tightened her grip around the tree demon’s arm.

She shook her head repeatedly, refusing to let go.

“You may not know this, but Xiu’er is not treated well by them. Born deaf and mute, her father cares for her somewhat, but he often resorts to hitting or scolding her. Just recently, he even arranged for her to be married off. Xiu’er doesn’t want to marry anyone, and if I leave, she truly will have no one to turn to,” the tree demon spoke. Unlike her demonic form, her voice was as clear and gentle as a spring breeze.

“Moreover, humans harbor a deep-seated hatred for demons. With everything that has happened today, returning like this would spell disaster for her.” The tree demon’s words were sincere, her jade-green eyes glistening with tears.

Qu Weiyin appeared moved; usually resolute, she nodded. Grabbing the tree demon with one hand and Xiu’er with the other, she asked, “Are you not coming along? How long do you plan to chat?”

Luo Jinxiao, hearing this, stuck out her tongue and hurriedly ran ahead while Chi Yi waved goodbye from behind.

“You're quite bold,” Qu Weiyin remarked with a cold snort, and then the scenery around them began to distort and shift. The original mountaintop vanished, and when they regained their composure, they found themselves in the midst of a field. Waves of knee-high green wheat swayed around them, seemingly undulating like the depths of the ocean.

The tree demon took Xiu’er's trembling hand within its own, gently grasping it as it gazed at Qu Weiyin and Luo Jinxiao, deeply bowing.

“Thank you both; we have no way to repay you, but this is a token of our gratitude.” The tree demon opened her hand, revealing a greenish crystal that lay serenely in her palm, as clear as a single tear.