Chapter 71: Obedient

The spring breeze swept across the grassy fields, painting the landscape in vibrant green. From above, the fields appeared to be draped in a delicate layer of green gauze, brimming with life.

Occasionally, there were patches of farmland, where farmers wielded their sickles, carving out furrows in preparation for sowing seeds.

Luo Jinxiao and Qu Weiyin soared through the air on their swords, their speed remarkable. Having rested on Qiongqi’s back overnight, they swiftly entered the territory of Chang Li after just a day and night.

Chang Li's terrain rose steeply, resembling a plateau. Being situated far to the north, it was frigid, with dense clusters of spruces creating dark, thick forests.

The further they ventured, the more the tree canopies became white and desiccated, and the forests seemed to thin. Occasionally, the roar of beasts echoed, followed by a flurry of birds taking flight, darkening the sky—a sight to behold.

Qu Weiyin had seen such scenery before and felt unimpressed, while Luo Jinxiao flitted about like a headless fly, unable to contain her curiosity. When Qu Weiyin could no longer hold her back, she decided to forge ahead on her own, ignoring Luo Jinxiao.

“Master Uncle, wait for me!” As Qu Weiyin distanced herself, Luo Jinxiao quickened her pace to catch up, a cheerful smile on her face as she matched Qu Weiyin’s speed, just out of arm's reach.

Qu Weiyin turned her head to look at her and shook her head. “There are many demons and beasts here. You should slow down.”

“Okay!” Luo Jinxiao replied obediently, nodding with a smile. She then pranced back to Qu Weiyin's side, tilting her head and teasingly said, “Master Uncle is worried about me.”

“Hmph, I’d be happy if you got eaten,” Qu Weiyin retorted coldly.

Luo Jinxiao's smile faltered as she was about to say something when a flash of light caught her eye. She immediately stopped, spun around, and looked down at the ground.

Qu Weiyin sensed something was off as well and followed suit, turning her head.

Below them, in the spruce forest, a flurry of birds took to the air, and the treetops swayed violently, as if something large was repeatedly colliding against them, sending dust swirling.

From the commotion, it was undoubtedly a formidable beast.

“I have a bad feeling about this,” Luo Jinxiao said, peering carefully into the dense woods when her gaze suddenly sharpened. Without hesitation, she recalled the Nu Jue and dove straight down.

“Luo Jinxiao!” Qu Weiyin called out sharply, noticing her lack of response. Annoyed, she chased after her and landed just in time to see Luo Jinxiao charge into the thick, swirling smoke rising from the ground.

Luo Jinxiao wasn’t acting impulsively; she had spotted a flicker of light that resembled Luo Ning's spiritual energy.

The smoke was spewing from the mouth of a monstrous beast—round and featureless, with no visible eyes, only a massive mouth and stout, sturdy limbs.

The humid, foul-smelling gas it exhaled was suffocating, reminiscent of the miasma found in southern regions. At that moment, the beast ran wildly, shaking its head as it expelled the toxic gas.

Realizing the gas was poisonous, Luo Jinxiao held her breath and used her hearing to assess her surroundings.

Close by, hurried footsteps echoed. Someone seemed to be fleeing, occasionally falling to the ground. Luo Jinxiao dashed over and, just as the person let out a piercing scream, she seized their wrist.