Chapter 30: Her Plea for Help

Qu Weiyin flew steadily on her sword, seemingly taking into account that Luo Jinxiao was still behind her. After flying for two hours, Lu Fanzhi, who had been lagging behind, finally couldn’t hold out any longer and loudly demanded a break.

Without a hint of breathlessness, Qu Weiyin turned her head, glanced at her lightly, and said, “There’s a village ahead; let’s land there and rest.”

Upon hearing this, Lu Fanzhi felt as if she had been granted a reprieve. She bowed repeatedly to Qu Weiyin before darting away towards the village.

To avoid alarming the villagers, they descended outside the town. The moment Lu Fanzhi's feet touched the ground, she squatted down, utterly exhausted and dizzy.

“Tired after just two hours? Useless,” Yan Ying remarked as she sheathed her sword and gracefully landed before Lu Fanzhi.

This time, Lu Fanzhi didn’t have the energy to argue back; she merely shook her fist in frustration as a form of protest.

Luo Jinxiao jumped down from Qu Weiyin’s sword, quickly running over to help Lu Fanzhi up. She quietly infused some of her spiritual energy into her, smiling as she asked, “Are you alright?”

With that boost, Lu Fanzhi began to recover. She waved her hand dismissively at Luo Jinxiao, expressing her displeasure, “Why do you get someone to carry you while I have to manage on my own?”

“Well then, why don’t you let Master Uncle carry you afterward while I fly on my sword?” Luo Jinxiao responded with feigned seriousness.

Lu Fanzhi glanced nervously at Qu Weiyin, who remained standing still, and shivered, quickly shaking her head. “Forget it; I wouldn’t dare.”

Chang Siyu had just circled around the village and now returned to the group. He landed a few steps away from Qu Weiyin and leaned in to whisper, “Master Uncle Qu, since their cultivation levels are insufficient, it may not be wise to travel overnight. We still have some distance to cover to get to Xumi Mountain Villa, and there are no other resting spots within a hundred miles. It would be better to rest here for today.”

Qu Weiyin maintained her composure and stepped slightly away from him, nodding in agreement.

Chang Siyu smiled broadly, displaying his white teeth, and then turned to beckon everyone forward as they made their way to the town entrance. The town was small and had no gates; a two-foot-long wooden sign, weathered and worn by the elements, stood at the roadside. On it, three characters could be faintly discerned: Pingxi Town.

There seemed to be few visitors to the town, lending it an air of desolation. The stone pathway was pockmarked and uneven, with some areas collecting puddles of water. As the townspeople noticed the approaching group, they all lifted their gazes to watch.

Qu Weiyin’s pace involuntarily slowed, and Luo Jinxiao, walking closely behind her, noticed this change clearly.

She seemed a bit tense.

“Excuse me, young lady, who are you, and what business brings you here?” An elderly man approached them, leaning heavily on a cane. His head was wrapped in tattered cloth, and if not for his relatively clean clothing, he could almost be mistaken for a beggar.

Qu Weiyin instinctively moved to the side, and although her expression remained unchanged, there was an unusual flicker of panic in her gaze.

Seeing this, Luo Jinxiao quickly stepped in front of Qu Weiyin, wearing a gentle smile as she addressed the old man, “We’re just passing through, sorry for the disturbance.”

“Passing through.” The old man nodded, then scrutinized Luo Jinxiao closely. “There’s an inn ahead, but this town isn’t very safe. Be sure not to wander out after dark.”