Girl's Night

"Evening sweetcheeks" Jacob grinned as Connie walked into the ED for her night shift.
"Piss off back to Adrienne"  Connie growled.
"Shit, babe please come back. Let me explain" Jacob said as he walked after her.
"What is there to explain Jacob? You're married!" She screamed at him.
Many of the staff turned around and looked at the couple, shocked at what they had just heard.
"Baby it's not like that, yes she's my wife but not in the way you'd think" Jacob said.
"You said it yourself, she's your wife! Have you got any kids out there I should know about? When were you going to tell me? Does she know about me? There must be some reason she asked you about meeting to talk about the divorce!" She shouted.

"Can we take this into your office please?" he asked.
"You've got five minutes then you're out" she snapped as she opened the door.
Jacob slammed it behind them and pulled down the blinds.
"I hadn't told you because it really wasn't a big deal. I don't love her, she doesn't love me" Jacob said.
"You loved her enough to marry her!" Connie shouted which turned into a sob.
"No baby I didn't, please just let me explain" Jacob begged.
"I'm not your fucking baby" she spat.
"For fucksake Connie can't you just shut up and listen for once in your life! She's gay Connie! Adrienne is gay" he told her.

"So that's why you're getting divorced?" Connie asked in a slightly calmer manner.
"Me and Adrienne, we grew up together. She always knew that she was gay but she was scared of telling her mum. When we were 28 her mum was diagnosed with cancer and it was her dying wish to see her little girl get married, for her to be happy. I married her Connie, to make a dying woman's wish come true.
And you're right, there is a reason we are getting divorced. It's because I wanted to marry you" Jacob explained.
Connie had tears running down her face, "Jacob I'm so sorry, I had no idea" she sobbed.
"You're right, you did have no idea but still you didn't have the decency to ask, you made a huge scene infront of all the staff who probably hate me right now, but I'll tell you something. They couldn't hate me as much as I hate you right now. I can't believe I loved you, I wanted to marry you! You don't trust me Connie and you've shown that, loud and clear. You thought I was cheating, that you were just a bit on the side. We are done" he told her then he walked out slamming the door behind him.

Connie fell to the floor crying as Zoe and Rita ran in.
"I've lost him and it's all my fault" she sobbed.
"What happened?" Rita asked.
"Adrienne is gay, he married her because it was her mother's dying wish. He wasn't cheating at all, he really did love me" she sobbed.
"But that's not your fault Connie" Zoe reassured her.
"I didn't trust him though, and now he hates me. He told me he hates me, that we are over. They were getting a divorce because he wanted to marry me, now I've fucked it all up and I've got to do it all on my own" she cried.
Zoe looked at Rita slightly alarmed, wondering what she meant by 'it.'
"Jacob loves you, no matter what he says. He will come round, he's angry Connie, just like you are. Go home, you can't work like this" Rita said.
"No, no I can't go home" Connie sniffled.
"You can and you will, I'll get Dylan to take over. Girls night in" Zoe told her.
"Are you sure?" Connie asked.
"Certain, come on" Rita said.

They drove to Connie's then Zoe took three glasses and a bottle of wine from Connie's cupboard.
"I'm going to get changed, I'll be down soon" she said.
"Why don't we order some takeout whilst you get some rest? Pizza sound ok?" Rita suggested.
"Honestly I'm fine" Connie protested.
"Go Connie, you need to sleep" Zoe said.
Connie smiled at them sadly, "thank you for everything" she said before walking up the stairs.
"You thinking what I'm thinking?" Zoe asked Rita.
"If it's about what she meant by doing it all alone then yeah, I guess we'll find out if she drinks this wine" Rita said.

They ordered a pizza about twenty minutes later which they were going to put in the over to keep it heated until Connie woke up.
"That was quick" Zoe said as the doorbell rang fifteen minutes later.
She went and opened the door to find an upset looking Jacob on the doorstep.
"Is she in?" he asked.
"She's sleeping, I don't know if it's a good idea" Zoe replied.
"This is my mess Zoe and I need to fix it" Jacob told her.
"Fine" Zoe said as she moved out of the way to let him in.
He walked straight past Rita and upstairs to Connie's bedroom.
Connie was lying on the bed sleeping, her face red and swollen from crying.
Jacob took his coat off then climbed into the bed behind her and wrapped his arm around her waist.

"Jacob" she mumbled.
"It's ok baby I'm here, I'm so sorry" he said softly.
"Why are you here? You hate me" she trembled.
"No Con I don't, I love you so much. I was angry, upset. I could never hate you, please forgive me" he said as he stroked her cheek.
"I love you too Jacob, please don't ever leave me like that again. It broke my heart. But honestly I'm sorry about going off on one" she told him.
"None of that matters now, all that matters is that I'm here. I didn't mean most of what I said but there was one thing, I meant it when I said I wanted to marry you" he said.
"Jacob you don't have to do this" Connie said as she shook her head.

Jacob put his hand in his pocket and took out a small black box.
"I want to, because I love you with all my heart. Connie, will you marry me?" he asked as he lifted the lid to reveal a beautiful diamond ring.
"Yes, yes I'll marry you Jacob" she whispered.
Jacob took the ring and put it on her finger then kissed her gently.
"You're so beautiful" he told her before she started to cry into his shoulder.
"Baby what's wrong? Have I upset you again?" he asked.
"No, no, it's not you, well it's only half you" she sniffed.
"What do you mean half me?" Jacob asked.
"Well you created half of the thing that's making me so emotional" Connie replied.
"What?" Jacob again, he was clearly confused.
"Our baby Jacob, that's what's making me so emotional" she told him.

"You're pregnant? I'm going to be a dad?" he asked with a small smile forming on his face.
"Yes Jacob you are" Connie confirmed.
"God I love you Connie Beauchamp" he said before kissing her again.
"I love you too Jacob Masters" she replied.
They stayed cuddled together on her bed for five minutes until Jacob sat up, "I should get going, I'll leave you to your girls night with Zoe and Rita but I'll come round in the morning" he said.
"Ok, you better had" Connie said.
"I will. Oh lay off the wine, they had three glasses out down there" Jacob said causing her to giggle, "don't worry, I will" she said.

They went downstairs hand in hand to Zoe and Rita who where waiting inpatiently to see if Connie was ok.
"Everything alright?" Zoe asked.
Connie looked up and smiled at Jacob, "it's better than alright, we are engaged" she said as she held out her hand.
"Oh my god it's beautiful! Congratulations to both of you" Zoe said.
"Congratulations, I'll expect an invite" Rita said before hugging them both.
"Thank you both, and don't worry because I need bridesmaids" Connie said with a smile.
"Well as much as I love you baby I'm going to leave you to get all excited over  dresses for your girls night, I'll see you tomorrow" he said.
"Ok, I love you too" Connie said.

Zoe looked at Rita who nodded as he was walking out.
They didn't want Connie and Jacob to be without each other because of them after just getting engaged.
"Jacob stay, we don't mind. Aslong as you don't mind being one of the girls for the night" Zoe said.
"Are you sure? I wouldn't wanna cramp your style" he told them with a smirk.
"Please" Connie pouted.
"Only cause I love you" he grinned at her.
"I'll get another glass, it's a good job we ordered a large pizza that seriously needs to hurry up now" Rita said.
"Don't bother with the glass, only three of your are drinking" Connie told them whilst smiling at Jacob.
"Oh no, just two, I'm not drinking if she's not" Jacob said.

Rita looked over at Zoe knowingly, "baby Masters on the way is it?" Zoe asked.
"Maybe" Connie smirked at them.
"Oh dear god how are we going to deal with another Connie or Jacob?" Rita joked.
"Oh I think it'll be just fine, don't you Jay?" Connie said.
"Definetly sweetcheeks" Jacob grinned at her before kissing her passionately just as the doorbell rang.
"I'll get it!" Zoe and Rita said loudly as they both ran to get there first, mostly to get away from the kissing.
"I love you" Connie said as Jacob rested his forehead against hers.
"I love you too babe" he replied.