Chapter 59

"A- About, " Taehyung coughed, clearing his throat, "About dad's health.. umm Jimin.. Jimin was the first one to know about it."

Taehyung's voice and face had taken over a serious turn. His fingers were tightening around the spoon making his knuckles turn white, so much that they didn't go unnoticed by the other. Jungkook didn't waste anytime to let go of the spoon he was holding and slipped his hand into Taehyung's sweaty palm.

He hoped that this simple gesture would give Taehyung some reassurance, that he was going to be here- right by his side and holding his hand. Jungkook wanted him to know and see that he wasn't going to leave now. He was here to stay until his last breathe.

"We were still in school when Papa was diagnosed with Leukemia. We were in our senior year, everything was going fine. Ma and papa didn't tell me though, they waited for me to graduate first. Even before you and I met, " Taehyung continued after stealing a glimpse from the other.

"Papa and Ma were busy with work a lot of times, they went to other countries for days, weeks and I never had a problem with it because in the end they gave me everything I asked for. Their love, time and care- that's what I always asked for. Hell, that's still the only thing I'd ask for."

A saddened expression dawned on Jungkook's face hearing the last line because he, out of all knew that it was true. Taehyung was the kind of person who cared about love, time and feelings more than the material things, and the younger thought to himself that somehow he was the reason behind Taehyung's misery, pain and anger.

Chin Hae and Mrs. Chao were listening eagerly. The former being the baby that he is, could only understand a few things and the rest were like some pieces in a puzzle that he had never seen. Whereas to Mrs. Chao, it felt as if she too, was re-living the past. The days when Taehyung was just a chubby little kid who lightened the entire room with his smile and personality.

"They gave me everything that I had asked for whenever they were back. But with time, I noticed that Papa was starting to lose a lot of weight. It was like, he was ageing more in days than he had in years. The color of his skin had turned so light, his muscles had become lose almost like they do when people grow old. He looked weak

And maybe I was such a big idiot to not notice anything before...maybe I was too focussed on my own life that I forgot about him."

A bitter chuckle escaped Taehyung's lips as he remembered his younger self being too care-free to notice what was happening to his papa. His hero. He regretted not noticing all of this before and wondered to himself, if only he had seen all of this earlier, the man could've been here in flesh and probably along with Taehyung's mother.

"Taehyung, you were a kid. It's not your fault." Mrs. Chao said, smiling softly at him but it didn't seem to have any effect on him. Instead, he tried to return the smile as best as he could.

"Anyway, they told me about it on the day we had different Universities in our school campus. I was really happy because I had decided a long time ago that I would take the Art Major, and I was so sure that nothing could ever change it. I was so sure that Ma and Papa would support whatever decision I made because they wanted to see their only kid being happy."

As he continued, Taehyung didn't hold back anything this time, he even voiced the feelings that were pushed somewhere in the dark. There were no tears left to cry. He had been drained of them a long time ago, or so he thought. He had cried his heart out so many times that he thought it wasn't possibly human to cry so much and still have tears left behind.

Quietly, Mrs. Chao pushed back from the chair and took Chin Hae's as well as her own plate to the kitchen, not wanting to interrupt the man as he continued. But even then, Taehyung copied her actions, but went to his baby's side and helped him jump down from the chair.