Defeated Victors - Kidge.

HOPE YOU ENJOY

 PLEASE VOTE

Side Note: A hungry games Au. 

The worse part was that he learned to live with the guilt from turning away as they died while she'd stay watching until their final breath was taken and no life shined in their eyes. 

He's learnt to look away, to leave his heart breaking and his nightmares clear of the images of their final moments. 

She encourages the nightmares, to take in every detail in their final moments and in death in hopes to never allow herself to forget those she had failed to save. 

He thought standing as a champion was the worse days of his life, to stand as a string pulled victor would protect him from such sufferings. But he was made a mentor, protected from having to fight in another game but instead forced to watch all those he failed to protect die instead. 

He hated being a mentor. 

Hated it. 

He was sixteen when he stood as a champion for the games, only one person chosen from all twelve districts back then. 

Just eleven enemies, friends turned foes and he had won. 

But standing as a mentor beside his own mentor, one who drank his sorrows and turned his mind into mush in hopes that the numbness would stop his heart from shattering ever again. His mentor who died when he was just twenty years old. 

But one had survived when he was nineteen, a girl, a fourteen-year-old girl who no one held hope for because of her tiny and weak frame. She was so small and so unfit, but a genius hidden behind her pretty looks. She had some real snarky and sass that forced others to respect her and to not dare stand in her way once her stubborn mind was set. 

She lost her brother to the games, a ten year age gap, losing him because she had the chance to know him. A fire was left burning in her eyes from being treated like an animal for the slaughter. 

Every death for any of the districts was a direct hit to her own heart in her eyes and she was determined to watch the capital burn for their sins. 

She was a victor, a mentor as he was. 

They had somehow, foolishly and painfully fallen in love with each other. 

Standing as husband and wife and mentors to all those chosen as the new champion. 

Her first year as a mentor was the worse in anyone's eyes. 

Her punishment for speaking out during her time as a champion had cost the games twelve chosen champions to become twenty-four. 

She had earned the death rate to increase and was forced to bite her tongue to stop it from rising any further. 

Slow and rotten love forming between them for years. 

Comfort and a weight to keep them grounded during each game.

Real love for the other as they finally confessed.

Game and mentor feelings shoved aside as they married. 

The topic of children left untouched as neither would give the capitol another innocent soul to use against them to act as perfect victor's puppets. 

She was just fifteen when she lost her first two champions, two she held faith in winning and fought hard to get Sponers for. 

Only to later learn within the games that only victor would be allowed to leave and those from the same district would be forced to fight each other for that one place as victor. 

Something broke as such rules were read out while they all stood on their platforms, waiting for the countdown to finish and the game to begin. 

She had failed them both by no longer being able to bring them both home alive. 

He held her close as this year's champions stood defeated as well. 

His arms tight but gentle around her shaking form as she clung to him like a life force. 

His shirt staining with her tears and her voice choking on her sobs. 

All he could do was hold her close and remind her that at least he stood alive, stood warm and in her reach. 

The capital could never take him from her, not like they did with their champions. 

The game hosts chatter being placed on mute as they spoke over knowing all along on how district twelve wouldn't survive the games. How dead and useless district twelve have become since their last victor, her. 

The last of the two district twelve champions body was barely cold in the games they were talking bad over them. 

No honour was held within the capital. 

Both had learnt that the moment their names were called out for the games. 

And that's why five years later, as he stood with their hands laced while the capitol burned around them. 

He held no guilt. 

Innocent families cried and pleaded for mercy just as all twelve districts had done each and every each of the games but were left unheard. 

Smoke and suffering filled his eyes and for once .. he didn't look away. 

He was a defeated victor in the capital hands, the only hope in his life was his wife that he fought hard to have and keep in his life. 

Now, as she watched the sinful world burn before her eyes, he finally felt like a true victor who had won against his harsh battles. 

Death never holds any meaning but a warning to those who might be next.