Not Just A Friend | M.M.

You and your girlfriend, Olivia, were making out against the lockers of Hawkins High. You pulled away once you saw Max walk by. Max looked you up and down before making eye contact with you. She looked at Olivia and rolled her eyes. You watched Max as she walked passed you and turned the corner.

"Uh, I'll be right back." You told Olivia.

Olivia looked at the hallway Max went down before looking at you. "Are you going to talk to her?"

"Well-"

"I thought you said that you were done with her. She broke your heart remember?" Olivia reminded you.

A couple months ago Max broke up with you and distanced herself from the party. After the breakup you were heartbroken. You wouldn't leave your room for days. Since then you've been trying to talk to Max and get her back. Eventually you started dating Olivia to try and get over Max but it only made your feelings for her stronger. You've tried to breakup with Olivia but you could never find the right moment.

"I am. I just wanna give her a ticket to the game." You assured Olivia.

Olivia tilted her head.

"She's just a friend I swear." You said.

Olivia nodded before letting you go after Max. You turned the corner that Max went down and you saw her enter Miss Kelley's office. You knew you weren't allowed in there so you just stood by the door waiting for her to come out. 15 minutes later the door opened and Max walked out. She was about to put her headphones on before you stopped her.

"Max. Hey."

Max put down her headphones and turned to look at you. "Are you stalking me or something?"

She started to walk away so you followed her.

"Oh, no, I just wanted to give you this." You held out a ticket to the game.

"What is this?" She asked as she took it.

"A ticket to the game. I wanted to know if you wanted to go with me." You said.

She gave you an 'are you serious' look.

"I know you never wanna go to any of the games but this one is kind of a big deal." You told her.

She scoffed. "A big deal? y/n, you really care about this?"

"Yeah, I do. Maybe you should find something you care about too." You immediately regretted your words as soon as they left your mouth.

She paused and turned to look at you. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

You paused, trying to think of the right words to say. "You're just..."

She gave you a look telling you to go on.

"It's- It's like you're not even here anymore. It's like you're a ghost or something."

She looked at you, hurt. "A ghost? Really?"

You stepped closer to her. "Max... I know somethings wrong."

"Yeah, right. Something must be wrong with me because I broke up with you and dont wanna go to a stupid basketball game with you." She put the ticket back in your hands. "Why don't you invite your new girlfriend? I'm sure she would love to go and make out with you under the bleachers or something."

"She is coming. I thought that the three of us could go together and we could all hang out." You told her.

"No offense, y/n. But I don't wanna third wheel you and your stuck up girlfriend." Max said.

You gave her a confused look. "How come everytime I'm with Olivia you always seem annoyed?"

"y/n, are you serious?" She asked.

"What?"

"How do you think I feel seeing my ex girlfriend make out with someone that isn't me? Do you think it's easy for me to see you with somebody else?" She raised her voice.

"Hey, don't get mad at me. You were the one who ended it, remember?" You asked.

"Yeah, but, not because I stopped loving you!" She yelled.

You looked at her with wide eyes. "You still love me?"

Max realized what she just said. "I mean... Yeah. I guess I do."

You smiled before going over to her and kissing her.

"What about your girlfriend?" She asked after you pulled away.

"I'll break up with her later." You told her.

"Go do it now." Max said.

"But I wanna stay with you." You frowned.

"We can hang out later. At the game." She smiled.

You gave her one last peck on the lips before running off to find Olivia. You turned the corner and bumped into her.

"Oh, hey. I've been looking for you." You told her.

"I've been looking for you. Let's go." She grabbed your hand and started pulling you towards the bathroom.

"Wait." You stopped her. "We need to talk."

She dropped your hand. "About what?"

"Well, I've been thinking and I don't think this relationship is working out." You told her.

"Are you breaking up with me?" She asked.

"Its not you it's me."

She crossed her arms. "That's what they all say. Is this about Max?"

"No, no. I just think it's unfair for you to be with someone who doesn't love you." You said.

"You don't love me?" She asked.

"I-"

She then ran away crying. You stood there in confusion before going to find Max.

"Did you do it?" Max asked when she saw you walking over to her.

"Mhm. We are officially free to do whatever we want." You said.

"Does this mean I can make out with you under the bleachers." She asked with a smile.

"I was thinking we could do something else." You said.

"Like what?" She asked.

You smirked. "Something we cant do in public."

She grabbed your hand and started pulling you out of the school and towards her car.

"Wait. What about class?"

"I don't think they'll care if we miss one day." She said as she sat down in the driver's seat. "Besides... I want you now."

You sat down in the passenger seat. "The feeling is mutual."

She smiled before pulling out of the parking spot and driving to her house.