A Not-So-Funny Thing (Logicality)

TW: Mentions of school shootings, story about a school shooting and dying in on (not graphic), mentions of asphyxiation, crying but not a whole lot, vague hints towards depressive thoughts and behavior, and mentions of death. It's not super angsty though, I promise.

Ghosts au

{Third Person POV}

When Patton first woke up after what felt like a millennia of sleep, he noticed a few things. The first one was that he felt as if he had something stuck in his throat, such as a lozenge or the need to cough very loudly. The second was that there were alot of people standing around him when his eyes opened. He didn't count them when he first seen them, but thinking back there were seven, all looming over him with faces of interest, as if he were an exhibit at a museum. The third was that one of the men was very, very handsome. Maybe that one wasn't as important than the others, but it was certainly flying around his head.

For a moment Patton had simply laid on the grass and stared up at the other bespectacled man, blue eyes wide as saucers as he mentally berated himself for something charming to say. Or at least funny. He was thinking so hard he couldn't even hear himself breath.

And after that realization he had another. He wasn't breathing.

Maybe it was the shock of his death, maybe it was the fact that it was a silly death, (He actually did have a lozenge stuck in his throat, he had choked on it.) but Patton never really felt upset about it. Patton kind of joked about it now, even if to a living person it would be concerning to do so, but after you're dead you realize life is just funny like that. But when it completely registered to Patton that he was dead, no longer seen nor heard by any of his loved ones, he kind of... relaxed.

Of course not completely, because he was still physically gone from Earth, but he took the knowledge with the understanding that, despite how he knew they would be upset, he also knew his loved ones would be would be okay. They'd remember him, they would celebrate his birthday and come by on his deathday. They wouldn't suffer financially, or at least they shouldn't have, because Patton was prepared for anything bad to happen, which of course included his own funeral.

The worst thing was them grasping with the fact Patton no longer was there. And despite Patton not knowing so, he had impacted everyone's life so much to the point that there were five times the amount of flowers than what was originally delivered to his service. Patton was really close to his nearby florist, anyways. He wishes he got to see the funeral. To see his friends and family once more before he moved on.

Although that was the issue, wasn't it? He was a ghost. He hadn't moved on. He had some unfinished business, even if he didn't know what it was, something within him did. Something deep down in him knew why he could so easily get upset, why, when he was alive, he sometimes felt like he was suffocating.

Asphyxiation was a funny thing, because one could easily be saved. If you reached out, or if someone noticed you, asked and talked and simply just tried to get help in some kind of way, you could be saved from an unfortunate death. It could be completely avoided. But Patton was never good at asking for help. He was never talked about himself, or about those funny little thoughts he got that were in no way funny and actually quite depressing. He dealt with it and moved on. He suffocated and died. And not just from that lozenge either.

~

It wasn't exactly convenient for a ghost to sleep. They didn't need to, their physical bodies were already six feet under and useless, but it was nice to have something familiar in their routine. It was nice and they could sleep, if they focused extremely hard. There wasn't really anything else for them to do though. They can't eat or drink, pick things up, and can't even leave and go somewhere else. It was a very monotonous afterlife for everyone involved.