11: Lunch

AMELIAS POV
I parked in the parking lot and I was nervous to see how her day went. I was really hoping that it went well for her. I walked into the lobby of the school and the lobby door opened again and it was Meredith.
"Hey you," she chuckled.
"Hey," I smiled.
"Do you think she liked it?" Meredith asked.
"I'm hoping she did," I said, "I didn't tell her Bailey and her were in the same class so hopefully that was a nice surprise."
"Oh yeah she'll love that," Meredith smiled. The classroom door opened and Bailey and Kamryn we're together. They both ran over to us and I picked her up and hugged her.
"Did you have a good day?" I asked. She nodded and smiled.
"Do you want to talk about it at lunch?" I said.
"Yes!" She smiled.
"Bye Kamryn!" Bailey said as he walked out with Meredith.
"Bye!" She said cutely.
"See you later," Meredith smiled.
"See you later," I said. We walked in the parking lot and I put Kamryn's backpack in the back seat and buckled her. I got in the car and looked back at her.
"So where do you want to go grab lunch?" I asked.
"I don't know," she said.
"Do you like Panera?" I asked.
"Panera?" She said cutely.
"It's like a sandwich place, you can get sandwiches, mac and cheese, soup, salads, bagels, if you want," I said.
"Mac and cheese?" She said cutely.
"You want mac and cheese?" I asked. She nodded and I smiled.
"Okay, can we go through the drive through and bring it back to my work?" I asked, "I have some paper work I need to fill out, we can eat in my office and you can tell me all about your day okay? We can see all the nice doctors you like too."
"Okay! And the doctor you like?" She giggled. I felt my face turn red and I chuckled.
"Yes and the doctor I like," I chuckled. I drove over to Panera and I ordered in the drive through and put the food on the passenger seat. I drove back over to the hospital and helped Kamryn get out.
"Do you have homework? Do you want to bring your bag?" I asked.
"Can we do my homework together?" She asked, "I need help."
"Sure," I said, "grab your bag and I'll grab the food okay." I locked the car and we walked into the lobby and I saw Owen.
"Hi Owen," Kamryn smiled.
"Hi," Owen smiled, "was school good?"
"Yeah," she giggled.
"Okay we're going to go eat lunch, I'll see you later?" I said.
"Mhm," he smiled. I smiled and we walked upstairs to my office. I opened the door and she sat down in one of my chairs. I wheeled her over to my desk and gave her the mac and cheese.
"Thank you mama!" She smiled.
"You're welcome," I said, "so how was school?"
"Did you know bailey was in my class?" She said.
"Yes, I wanted it to be a surprise," I said.
"We did some of the alphabet today, I have to write letters for homework," she said.
"That's cool," I said.
"Mhm, and we colored pictures, look," she said and took out a folder and handed me a picture. It was a coloring page of a dog that she neatly colored in.
"You're a very neat colorer," I chuckled.
"That's what my teacher said too," she said and looked at my desk.
"Can we put it with all your other pictures?" She asked.
"Sure," I smiled. I propped it up on my desk next to a photo of Zola and I.
"Is that Zola?" She asked.
"Yup, that's Bailey and Ellis, that's my brother, Derek, that's me, Meredith, and Maggie," I said.
"Who's that?" She asked, and pointed to a picture of me and my dad.
"That's my dad," I said.
"Can I meet your dad?" She asked cutely.
"He died when I was very little," I said sadly.
"Oh," she said, "I sorry."
"It's okay," I said.
"Is that your mom?" She asked, and saw a photo that was pushed half behind the photo of my dad and I.
"Yes," I said, "you can meet her."
"Really?" She said.
"Yup," I said, and realized I need to call my mom, I mean she didn't know about Kamryn. Shit. That was going to be a long conversation.
"That's Owen," she smiled.
"It is," I chuckled, it was a picture of him and I at Alex and Jo's wedding.
"Do you want to work on your homework?" I asked. She nodded and took out a piece of paper. I picked her up and she sat on my lap and I watched her trace the letters on her worksheet while I cleared patients on my charts.
"Look mama I did it," she smiled, she did the letters a, b, c, and d and they all looked good.
"Good job," I said, "see you didn't need help, you did it all by yourself."
"I did," she smiled.
"I'm proud of you," I said and kissed her head.
OWENS POV
I was walking in the hallway when I saw Amelia and Kamryn in Amelia's office. They were so cute. I knocked on the open door and they both looked up.
"Hey," Amelia smiled.
"Hey," I said.
"Owen look at my letters," Kamryn giggled and Amelia smiled proudly.
"Wow those are really good," I said as she showed my a page that looked like her homework. She put the page back in her back back and Amelia's pager went off.
"Ugh," Amelia said and looked at it.
"What's wrong?" Kamryn said.
"Mama has to go help someone," Amelia said, "so I'm going to bring you to daycare where you can see Bailey and Ellis okay?"
"I want to stay here in your office," kamryn pouted.
"I can watch her," I offered.
"Are you sure?" Amelia said.
"Yeah, I don't mind," I said.
"Thank you so much," she smiled and got up.
"I'll be right back okay?" She said to Kamryn.
"Okay, I love you mama," she said.
"I love you too baby girl," Amelia said and ran out. Kamryn finished her mac and cheese and looked up at me.
"What kind of Doctor is she?" She asked.
"A brain Doctor," I said.
"Really?" She said as her eyes widened, "she works on people's brains?"
"Yup, pretty cool isn't it?" I said as I sat down next to her.
"Yeah," she said.
"She's very good at it too," I said.
"What kind of doctor are you?" She asked.
"I'm a trauma doctor, so I work on everyday injuries like broken bones, infections, accidents, stuff like that," I said.
"What about Maggie?" She asked. She was so cute.
"She works on people's hearts," I said.
"And Meredith?" She said.
"She works on your organs," I said, "everything on the inside."
"Is my mama working on brains now?" She asked.
"Yup," I said.
"That's cool," she said.
"It is," I said.
"Do you like her?" She asked. I chuckled and ran my fingers through my hair.
"Amelia and I are very good friends," I said.
"Okay," she said.
-
Amelia had been gone for about 3 hours and Kamryn fell asleep on the couch in her office. I grabbed my computer before and worked on a few cases while she slept. The door opened and I looked up and it was Amelia.
"Hey," she said.
"Hey," I said.
"How long has she been asleep?" She asked.
"A little over an hour," I said.
"Was she good?" She asked.
"Of course she was," I said and got up, "and guess what."
"What?" Amelia said cutely.
"She thinks it's the coolest thing ever that her mom works on people's brains," I said.
"Really?" Amelia smiled, "she does?"
"Yup," I said.
"Aw thank you for watching her, you're the best," Amelia said.
"Of course," I said. I kissed her forehead and walked down the hallway to go check on a few patients, and man, I was so in love with Amelia.