79: Goodbyes

AMELIAS POV
He leaves today. I can't handle it. I've been throwing up all morning because I'm so worried about him.
"Amelia," Owen said as he walked into the doorway. I started throwing up again and he came over and sat down next to me. He was in his army uniform and it really hit me that he was leaving.
"Amelia I'm going to be okay," Owen said.
"I'm so worried," I said as I finally stopped throwing up, "I'm so worried about you, about having our baby, about the girls."
"I'll be home before you know it," he said and kissed my head, "okay?"
"I know," I said, right before I threw up again.
"Are the girls awake?" He asked as he rubbed my back.
"I don't know," I groaned, "I'll get up in a minute."
"Okay," he said and kissed my head, "I love you."
"I love you too," I said. I got up with him and we opened Ellie's nursery and she was awake.
"Mommy and daddy!" She giggled.
"Good morning princess," Owen smiled as he picked her up.
"ou weave today?" Ellie said. Owen nodded.
"I do, but I'll be home soon," Owen promise. I kissed her cheek and we walked down the hallway to Kamryn's room. I opened the door and she was sitting on her bed. She looked up at us and I could tell she was super upset, because unlike Ellie, she understood what was happening.
"Hi daddy, hi mommy," she said.
"Hi sweetheart," I said.
"Are we going to the airport today?" She asked. Owen nodded.
"We are," I said.
"Should I get ready?" Kamryn asked.
"Yeah," I said. We left her alone and walked downstairs. Kamryn being upset didn't make any of this easier. Owen made pancakes for breakfast and Kamryn eventually came downstairs.
"Good morning," Owen said.
"Good morning," Kamryn said.
"We have to leave in half an hour," I said.
"Okay," Kamryn said as she picked at her plate and eventually got up to go put her shoes on.
"I'll go talk to her," Owen said.
"Good idea," I said.
OWENS POV
I opened the door to the mud room and Kamryn was sitting on the ground tying her shoes.
"Hey," I said, "want help?"
"No," she said, "it's okay." I sat down across from her and she looked up at me.
"I love you so much," I said, "you know that right?" She nodded.
"I know," Kamryn said, "and I love you too."
"I know you're upset, and I'm upset too, but remember I'm coming back," I said.
"I know," she said, "I'm going to miss you."
"I'm going to miss you too," I said and pulled her into a hug, "but don't ever forget how much I love you, and I'll be back so soon okay?"
"Okay," she said.
"So were okay?" I said. She nodded. I kissed her head and we both got up. This was going to be so hard.
AMELIAS POV
We were at the airport. Owen was leaving. I can't stop thinking about how this could be the last time I see him, I know I shouldn't think like that but I do. I'm worried. I know he's strong and he'll fight to come home, but you hear about explosions on the news all the time. I'm so worried. He looked at me and kissed my forehead.
"I have to go now," he said, "I love you so much okay? I will come back for you and the girls, and our little Noah in there. You are the best wife I could have ever asked for, and the best mother to our children. I love you so so so much, don't ever forget that, and if you go into labor while I'm not here, know I'm with you, and that you're so strong okay? You can do it."
"I love you," I said crying, "be so safe okay? We need you back here in 6 weeks. I love you so much Owen, you're the love of my life and I know you don't break promises, so kick some butt over there so you can come back and be the best dad and the best husband okay?" He smiled and kissed me passionately. I wiped the tears off my face as he went to go say goodbye to his mom and the girls. He talked to Kamryn and Ellie and hugged them and then he had to leave. He turned around and waved and it was so hard keeping in my tears. I looked over at the other families, doing the same, I saw another pregnant woman like me, she looked farther along than I did. She gave me a small wave and I reciprocated. Then Owen walked through the gate and we couldn't see him anymore.
"Mommy?" Ellie said as she was holding my hand.
"Yeah?" I said.
"We go with daddy?" She asked confused.
"No sweetheart, we stay here," I said.
"Why?" She said.
"Because daddy's working," I said. Evelyn walked over and hugged me as I started crying.
"He'll be okay," she said, "you know that."
"I know," I said, "I really hope it's true."
-
Everyone was miserable at home. Ellie didn't understand what was going on so she cried the entire afternoon, and Kamryn didn't speak one word to me since we got home.
"Ellie it's okay," I said as she started crying, "everything's okay."
"I want daddy," she cried.
"He's just at work, he goes to work all the time remember?" I said, practically begging her to stop.
"Why you no go?" She asked.
"Because I have work at the hospital," I said, "so I can't go work with daddy." She eventually calmed down and fell asleep in her highchair. Kamryn walked into the kitchen and grabbed a water bottle.
"Kammie, we can talk about it," I said. She didn't say anything and walked upstairs. God this was going to be so hard.