64: Back to Work

a few months later
OWENS POV
Today Amelia was going back to work. Ellie was now almost 6 months old. I've gone back a few times a week and have been easing into it, now it's her turn. I know she love spending time with the girls, as do I, but I know she misses her work. She loves it too much to give it up, but I also know she's worried about going back. I shut the alarm clock off as it started blaring.
"Mhm," Amelia mumbled.
"Good morning," I said and ran my fingers through her hair.
"Good morning," she said and rolled over. She opened her eyes and I pecked her lips.
"First day back," she smiled.
"You excited?" I asked. She nodded.
"Yeah," she said, "feels really weird though."
"Felt weird for me too," I said.
"I'll be home around 5," she said.
"Okay," I said, "sounds good."
"I'll bring home the daycare paperwork for Ellie too today," she said.
"Okay, thanks," I said.
"I'm so tired," she chuckled and looked at the clock. I looked over and Ellie was awake, but surprisingly not crying.
"Well that's new," Amelia said as she sat up.
"Yeah," I said. I got up and picked Ellie up and kissed her cheek.
"Good morning," I said. Her little arms reached for Amelia.
"Wanna go to mommy?" I said. Amelia rubbed her eye and then held out her arms for Ellie.
"Good morning," Amelia said and kissed her head, "are you hungry?" Ellie's face lit up so she must have understood what Amelia said.
"I'll go feed her, can you wake up Kamryn for school?" She asked.
"Yeah," I said.
"Thanks, I love you," she said and kissed me.
"I love you too," I smiled.
AMELIAS POV
I put Eliana in her high hair and grabbed the bottle from the fridge. I put the formula in it and fed her until she started throwing a fit because she was done with the bottle.
"Okay okay," I chuckled as she pushed the bottle over. I cleaned the bottle out and grabbed three cereal bowls for Owen, Kamryn and I. Ellie started crying and I picked her up.
"What's wrong?" I said sweetly, "why are you crying sweetie?" She continued crying and I cradled her until she eventually stopped. Kamryn and Owen walked into the kitchen and I smiled.
"Good morning mama," Kamryn said and hugged me.
"Good morning," I smiled.
"Good morning Ellie," she giggled and looked at her. Ellie reached out for Kamryn and she sat down so I could put her in her arms. Ellie's new thing is reaching for people to be held. It's quiet adorable when she reaches for her older sister. Owen poured us all cereal so Kamryn could continue getting ready for school. I finished my cereal and excused myself to go get ready for work. As I was showering and getting dressed I realized I kinda didn't wanna leave. Was I overthinking it too much? I would only be gone for a few hours. I'd be home for dinner. What if Ellie gave Owen a hard time? What if she wouldn't stop crying for him? I finished getting dressed and I heard the bedroom door open.
"Hey," Owen said.
"Hey," I smiled.
"Kamryn is all ready for school," he said.
"Perfect," I smiled, "I'm gonna leave in a few minutes, you have everything you need?"
"Yes, Ellie's baby food is in the pantry, her formula is on the top shelf of the fridge, all of her favorite stuffies are in her crib, she only likes the pampers diapers, and her play pen is still set up in the living room. I'll drop Kamryn off at 8:20 and pick her up at 12:30," he said.
"You're good," I smiled, "you impress me sometimes." He chuckled and hugged me.
"Ellie and I will be fine here," he said, "and then she'll have Kamryn to show her toys and watch cartoons with when she gets home."
"Oh and if Ellie wants a bath make sure the water isn't too hot but it's not too cold, and Kamryn might need help with her homework," I said.
"Yes," Owen chuckled, "I've given her a bath before".
"I know," I said, "It just feels weird being away from both of them."
"I know," he said, "but it's only a few hours, you'll be home so we can all eat dinner together and maybe watch a movie tonight, sound like a plan?" I nodded.
"It does," I said.
"Okay," he smiled. I looked at the clock and it was already 7:45, I had to get going. We walked downstairs and Kamryn was watching TV which Ellie was sitting in her super seat bouncing around. They were so cute.
"They'll be fine Amelia," Owen said.
"I know but-" I started.
"We'll be fine here," Owen chuckled, "Don't think about it too much."
"I'm gonna miss you guys," I said.
"We're going to miss you too, but when you get home we can all eat dinner together at the table and we'll tell you all about our day, and you can tell us about your day fighting brain tumors alright?" Owen said.
"Okay," I nodded. He smiled and kissed me.
"Okay girls I have to go into work now," I said.
"Bye mama!" Kamryn said and got up and hugged me, "I love you."
"I love you too," I smiled and kissed her head, "I'll be home for dinner okay?"
"Okay!" She said, "I'll tell you all about what I did at school then."
"Sounds great, I can't wait to hear it all," I smiled. I walked over to Ellie and picked her up.
"Good bye baby girl, mama has to go to work okay?" I said, "I love you." I kissed her head and I didn't want to go.
"Amelia," Owen chuckled.
"I'm going," I said. He picked up Ellie from me and she started crying.
"I can just go in tomorrow," I said rubbing her back.
"Amelia," Owen chuckled, "she cries all the time, she'll be okay."
"Okay," I said.
"Go to work," he chuckled, "we'll all be here when you get home."