17: Rehab

AMELIAS POV
I was at work right now scrubbing in on a surgery. It was a brain tumor on the frontal lobe, but I was going to allow Edwards to extract and I would assist and observe so she can get some training and practice.
"You ready?" I said.
"Yup," she said as we got gowned and gloved.
"You got this?" I said and she smiled at me. We walked into the OR and Bohkee handed her a scalpel.
-
We scrubbed out and the surgery went successful, I'm glad I put my faith in Edwards. I heard my phone ring and the nurse grabbed it.
"Doctor Shepherd it's Judge Baker," she said.
"I'll take it," I said as I dried my hands, "thank you." I hit accept and walked out of the OR.
"Hello?" I said.
"Hi, Amelia Shepherd?" He said.
"Yes that's me your honor," I said.
"So I am working on your adoption papers for Kamryn Jensen that you have requested, and there's just one thing we have to look into and I need to ask a few questions," he said. Shit. He was talking about rehab.
"Okay," I said.
"So you went to rehab correct?" He said.
"Yes," I said.
"How long ago?" He said.
"8 years ago," I said.
"And you've been clean ever since correct?" He asked.
"Yes, I go to meeting too," I said.
"Okay, well we need to look into this a little more but I will be in contact with you okay?" He said.
"Okay," I said.
"Have a good day," he said.
"Thank you, you too your honor," I said. He hung up and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I bit my lip to stop myself from crying. Could he take her from me because of rehab? I bolted down the stairs and ran into someone at the bottom.
"Oh my gosh I'm, I'm so sorry," I looked up and it was Owen.
"Hey what's wrong?" He said.
"N-nothing," I said.
"Amelia," he said. I could feel tears streaming down my face and he pulled me into a hug.
"I'm scared the judge will take Kamryn away because of my rehab," I cried.
"They can do that? But you're clean, you've been clean for a long time," he said.
"I know," I sniffled, "the judge just called and asked me a few questions about rehab and said they have to look into it."
"Amelia I'm sure it's just a formality and such, you'll be fine," Owen said, "you're the perfect mom for Kamryn, you just have to show them that."
"They can't take her away," I cried.
"Okay, just calm down okay?" He said and held me in his arms. I wrapped my arms around his waist and buried myself in his chest. I felt him kiss my head and we stood there for a while.
"You okay now?" He asked. I nodded and wiped my eyes.
"Yeah, um, thanks," I said.
"You're welcome," he said. We were standing so close, I looked at him and he pushed my hair out of my face.
"Just keep a positive attitude okay?" He reassured, "they won't take her." I nodded and he kissed my forehead.
"If they try to take her I will testify how perfect of a mother you are okay?" He said.
"Thank you," I said, "you're the best."
"You don't need to thank me," he said. I smiled and pecked his lips before going to walk out of the stairwell. I felt Owen grab my hand and pull me into him. He kissed me passionately and then kissed my forehead.
"Do you want to go grab coffee with me?" I asked.
"Sure," he said.
"Okay," I smiled, "I have about an hour until I have to go get Kammie from school."
"Okay," he said as we walked down the hallway together.
"Oh hey how did that surgery go? Edwards' solo?" He said.
"Amazing, she's a mini me," I said.
"That's good," he said.
"Yeah," I said, "she did really good."
"That's awesome," he said.
"Yeah," I said.
"Amelia!" I heard someone say. I stopped walking and saw Maggie.
"Hey," I said.
"Meredith wanted me to tell you that we are having a dinner party tonight and you are coming," Maggie said.
"Okay," I chuckled.
"She's also requiring a plus one," Maggie chuckled and looked at Owen.
"Who's your plus one?" I joked.
"Oh no, just one for you," Maggie chuckled and walked away. I chuckled and looked at Owen.
"You interested in dinner?" I chuckled.
"Sure," he said.
"Alright," I said.
"Is meredith trying to be a match maker?" He joked.
"Yes," I laughed, "she so is." He chuckled as we ordered coffee and sat down at a bench outside.
"How's Kamryn liking school?" He asked.
"Oh she loves it," I said, "she had a little setback with reading but we've been working on reading together and she's getting stronger with it."
"Well that's good," he said.
"Yeah," I said, "and she likes you."
"She does?" He said.
"Oh yeah, she thinks you're pretty cool," I said.
"Well that's good isn't it?" He said.
"Yeah," I said, "I think her and Meredith are conspiring as match makers." He chuckled and kissed my temple. I smiled as we both sipped our coffees.
"She really does like you though," I smiled, "it's rather cute."
"Like you," he said and I smiled.
"So you'll come to dinner?" I said.
"Of course," he said. I looked at my phone and it was getting close to 12:15.
"I gotta go get Kamryn, I'll see you for dinner," I smiled.
"See ya," he said as I ran to the parking lot. I was still in scrubs but I didn't really care. I drove over to her kindergarten and I was so scared that the judge would take Kamryn away from me. I parked in the lot and grabbed my keys and walked into the school. The lobby door opened and I saw Meredith.
"Are you coming to dinner?" She said.
"Yeah," I said.
"You're bringing Owen right," she said.
"Stop trying to be a matchmaker," I chuckled.
"What are you talking about? I cannot match what is already made," she laughed. I chuckled and she did too.
"Yes I'm bringing him," I said.
"Good," she said. The door opened and all the kids came over. Kamryn ran over and hugged me and I kissed her head.
"Hey," I smiled.
"Hi mama!" She giggled.
"How was your day?" I asked.
"It was good," she said.
"You excited to go see my work again?" I asked. She nodded and we walked to the car. I buckled her in her car seat and started driving back to work, and I couldn't knock the sick feeling in my stomach about my conversation with the judge.