24: You're Safe

AMELIAS POV
I heard a small cry.
"Kamryn?" I yelled.
"Mama?" A weak voice said.
"Kammie where are you?" I said as I scanned the parking lot, but saw the shimmer of a sparkly unicorn bag by an ambulance. I sprinted over there. I don't think I've ever ran that fast in my entire life. I got to the ambulance and she was hiding behind it by her bag crying. I wrapped my arms around her and almost knocked her over with my over bearing hug.
"Oh my god you're okay," I said crying, "you're okay." I kissed her head and we were both crying.
"Kammie baby I know you were scared but you can't just run off okay?" I said, "you scared me so much."
"I sorry," she said, "but Jamie would have hurt me."
"Okay shh it's okay," I said, I wiped my tears but I was unable to stop my tears from flowing out of my eyes. I had her in my arms and I never wanted to let go.
"Promise mama you won't run off like that again okay?" I said.
"I promise," she said.
"Okay," I said and I felt like I could finally breathe again.
"Mama you're squishing me," Kamryn said.
"I'm sorry," I chuckled and wiped my eyes. I cupped her face in my hands and wiped her faded tears away from her face. I kissed her forehead and smiled.
"I'm so glad you're okay," I said, my voice breaking.
"I'm sorry I ran away, I got scared," she said in a small voice.
"It's okay," I said, bringing her into a hug again, "it's okay, just don't do it again okay? When you're with me Jamie will never hurt you okay? There's no need to run, and hey, you're my daughter forever, and I'm your mama forever, and I'm going to protect you alright?"
"Okay," she said, "I love you."
"I love you too," I said. I picked her up and wrapped my arms around her. I walked around the ambulance and Owen, Meredith, and Maggie were waiting for us.
"Are we going home?" Kamryn said.
"Yes," I said, "I have to go talk to Bailey first okay?"
"I don't want to go back in the hospital," Kamryn said in a small voice.
"It'll only be for a few minutes, and it'll be really quick I promise. I'll keep you safe I promise," I said. I pushed her hair behind her ear and she nuzzled herself in my neck.
"You'll be okay," I said. I walked back over to Owen and hugged him.
"Thank you for making us look out here," I said before kissing him.
"You're welcome," he said, "I'm glad she's okay."
-
It's been a few hours since we got home and Kamryn and I have been watching cartoons all afternoon. She was snuggled into my lap and she looked super tired. She probably needed a nap after today.
"Tired?" I asked. She nodded.
"Do you want to take a nap?" I asked.
"I'm too old for naps," she protested.
"No you're not, if you're tired you can take a nap. I take naps all the time," I said.
"Can I sleep in your bed?" She asked.
"Sure," I said and lifted her up. I brought her into my room and tucked her under the covers. I kissed her head and laid with her until she fell asleep, and I eventually did too.
-
I opened my eyes and I was snuggled into Kamryn. I looked at the clock and it was 7:30. Shit. She'll never sleep tonight.
"Hey kammie," I said.
"Mhm?" She mumbled as she rolled over. Maybe I should just let her sleep the night. I don't know. She seemed pretty tired so I got up and walked into the kitchen. I looked at my phone and I had a text message from Owen.
"Can I swing by?" It read, it was from 5 minutes ago so I figured he was leaving work.
"Yes," I sent.
"Be over in 10," he sent. I opened the fridge and grabbed a water bottle and walked over to the pantry. Before I could eat anything there was a knock at the door. I opened the door and it was Owen.
"Hey," he said and brought me into a tight hug, "are you doing okay? How's Kamryn?"
"We're okay," I said looking up at him, "she's still asleep." I let him in and we walked to the kitchen. I yawned and looked at him.
"Tired?" He chuckled.
"Yeah," I said as I walked over to him and let him wrap his arms around me.
OWENS POV
Amelia and I were cuddling on the couch watching random TV. It felt good to have her in my arms. She looked like she was fighting sleep and I kissed her head.
"You know your can fall asleep on me," I chuckled.
"Might have to," she said softly and looked up at me.
"Mama?" We heard. Amelia sat up and looked over the couch.
"Hi baby," Amelia said as I sat up.
"I need to brush my teeth," Kamryn said.
"Are you going back to bed?" Amelia said.
"Yes," she said. I watched Amelia get up and walk down the hallway. After a few minutes I heard her come back.
"Thank god she went back to bed," Amelia said.
"That's good," I said.
"Yeah," she said, "I should shower."
"I could shower with you," I said.
"I'm exhausted I'm not in the mood for sex," she said and yawned again.
"Nope, no sex, just you and me, and I'll wash your hair, and rub your back, and shower you with kisses," I said. She looked at me and then grinned.
"Okay," she said, "I might fall asleep."
"That's okay too," I said. I walked into her bathroom and closed the door behind us. She took her shirt off and I did the same and we both eventually got in the shower. I ran my fingers through her hair as the water hit us and she wrapped her arms around my waist. She nuzzled into my chest. I grabbed her shampoo and started washing her hair.
"You're the best," she said softly. I rinsed her hair and massaged her back. I looked down at her every so often to make sure she wasn't asleep.
"Hey I was promised kisses," she chuckled as she looked up at me. I chuckled and cupped her face in my hands and kissed her as the water hit us.
"That's better," she giggled and grabbed the shampoo.
"I wanna wash your hair," she said cutely and ran her fingers through my hair. I smiled at her and she smiled back.
"I'm so tired," she chuckled as I rinsed my hair.
"Me too," I said.
"Do you want to stay?" She asked nervously.
"Yeah, I'd love to," I said. She smiled and I kissed her cheek. I rubbed her back again and eventually we finished showering. We got out of the shower and Amelia yawned as she wrapped her small figure in a towel.
"Here," she said and handed me a towel.
"Thanks," I said.
"Mhm," she said and walked over to her vanity and started brushing her teeth.
"I just realized I don't have clothes here," I chuckled. She stopped brushing her teeth and looked at me.
"I wouldn't be mad if you slept in your boxers," she smirked.
"Alright," I said. She spit her toothpaste out and grabbed a string of floss.
"Ah the floss obsession," I said.
"Shut up," she chuckled, "you're just jealous my teeth are nicer than yours."
"They probably are, I never floss," I said.
"Never?" She said.
"Well I'll floss the day before my dentist appointment," I chuckled. She laughed and finished flossing.
"Derek used to do that too," she said. We both got changed and Amelia went to go open her door.
"I'm just gonna go check on Kamryn okay?" I said.
"Okay," I said.
AMELIAS POV
I opened Kamryn's door and she was snuggled into her pillow with her arms wrapped around her elephant stuffed animal. I smiled and closed the door. I walked back into my bedroom and Owen was laying in bed on his phone.
"Hey," I said.
"Hey," he said, "she good?"
"Yeah," I nodded and crawled into bed next to him.
"Today was my first scary moment as a mother," I said quietly.
"Yeah," Owen said, "I'm so glad she's okay."
"Me too," I said and looked at him, "I was so scared."
"I know," Owen nodded. We both didn't say anything and I felt awkward. I mean Owen and I have had sex before, but we've never slept in the same bed before, he's never spent the night before. Why was this so weird for me?
"You okay?" Owen asked.
"Can you hold me?" I said in a small voice.
"Yeah come here," he said and opened his arms for me and I smiled. I wrapped my arms around his waist and nuzzled into his chest. I felt so safe with Owen. I was safe.