16: Social Services

a few days later
AMELIAS POV
I opened my eyes and I looked over at the clock. Today was Saturday and I didn't have work today which was good. I got up and brushed my hair and walked into the hallway. Kamryn was still asleep which was nice. I started making coffee when my phone rang, and it was the social worker.
"Hello?" I said.
"Hi, I'm just calling to let you know that Judge Baker has been working on your adoption papers, and he's requiring a home visit to be done before he can finalize a few things, he requested me so is it okay if I drop by in a little bit?" Cauldwell said.
"Sure, Kamryn isn't awake yet so maybe 10?" I said.
"Sure, I'll drop by around then, as long as everything looks good, you should get the adoption papers soon," she said.
"Oh my gosh thank you so much," I smiled.
"You're welcome, I'll see you soon," she said. I hung up and turned and Kamryn was walking into the kitchen.
"Good morning sunshine," I said and picked her up and I smiled.
"Good morning mama," she said.
"What do you want for breakfast?" I asked.
"Muffin?" She asked.
"Sure," I said and grabbed a muffin and a plate for her.
"Who were you talking to?" She asked.
"Do you remember the social worker?" I asked.
"Is she taking me away?" She asked fearfully.
"No, no oh my gosh no baby, she just wants to come by and see how you're doing and where you live," I said, "it's so she can get adoption papers."
"really?" She smiled.
"Yup, you can show her your room and everything," I said.
"Okay," she said. She ate breakfast and my phone rang again and I saw that it was Owen.
"Hey," I said as I walked into the other room.
"Hey, are you busy today?" He asked.
"Actually, social services is doing a home visit to approve adoption papers today," I said.
"Really? That's good right," he said.
"Yeah," I said, "it is."
"Maybe I'll see you later?" He said.
"Yeah maybe," I said. I put my phone down and to be honest I was stressed about the home visit. I knew everything would be fine but I was worried.
"Okay baby why don't you get dressed while I clean the house real quick okay?" I said.
"Okay," Kamryn said and ran down the hallway. I cleaned the dishes and neatened the counter tops and threw a load of laundry in. Kamryn came out of her room and she looked adorable.
"Mama can you braid my hair?" She asked.
"Sure, come sit on the couch," I said and patted the spot next to me. I braided her hair and walked down to my room and made my bed and neatened it up.
"Kammie is your room cleaned?" I asked.
"Yes! Do you want to see?" She asked. I walked down the hallway and smiled at her neat room.
"Good job," I smiled. There was a knock at the door and I looked at Kamryn.
"Okay so that's probably Miss Cauldwell okay? Just show her around the house and she'll probably ask you a few questions okay?" I said.
"Okay mama!" She said and came to the front of the apartment. I opened the door and smiled.
"Hi!" Cauldwell smiled.
"Hey come in," I smiled. She had a clipboard and everything and it made me nervous even though I knew everything was fine.
"Hi Miss Kamryn, how are you? I see you got your sling off!" She smiled.
"I did! Doctor Callie said my arm got better," Kamryn smiled.
"That's awesome," Cauldwell smiled, "do you want to show me your room?"
"Yeah," Kamryn smiled and the three of us walked down the hallway. Kamryn showed her her room and Cauldwell took a few notes which made me insanely nervous.
"Okay Kamryn let me talk to Amelia for a quick second okay?" She smiled and Kamryn ran out of the room.
"You have no reason to be nervous," she chuckled and looked at me.
"I'm sorry I just want everything to go well," I said.
"It is, don't worry, the apartment looks great and I can tell she has adapted here, you have nothing to worry about," she said, "I just need you to sign a few things and then I will bring this to the judges office and he should call you soon about working for adoption."
"Thank you so much," I said.
"I also need proof of her schooling, you can just fax the transfer papers over to me," she said.
"Okay, I'll do that immediately," I said.
"Perfect, and you're doing a good job Amelia, you got this," she said.
"Can I hug you?" I chuckled.
"Sure," she said and hugged me, "get me those papers and this will go quicker."
"Thank you so much," I said as we walked back into the living room. She looked around the rest of the apartment for a little while and then came back.
"You're all good, we'll be in contact," she smiled.
"Thank you, Kamryn say goodbye to Miss Cauldwell okay?" I said.
"Bye bye," Kamryn said cutely.
"Good bye Miss Kamryn," she smiled and grabbed her things and left.
"She liked my room," Kamryn smiled.
"She did," I smiled, "she said that we passed inspection."
"Yay," she giggled.
"So what do you want to do now that we have nothing to do?" I chuckled.
"Can we go to the park?" She asked.
"Sure," I said, "Do you mind if Owen comes with us?"
"No," she said, "are you dating him?"
"No," I said.
"You should," she said sweetly, "I think he likes you." I chuckled at her sweetness.
"Maybe," I laughed.
"Okay," she said. She ran down the hall to get ready for the park and I grabbed my phone to text Owen.
"Interested in a park date?" I sent.
"Sure," he sent.
"Meet us there?" I sent.
"Okay, see you soon," he sent with a smiley face. I smiled and grabbed my purse and Kamryn was trying to tie her shoes.
"Want help?" I chuckled.
"I want to do it," she pouted.
"Why don't I show you?" I said. I tied her one shoe and she tried to follow my steps for the next one. She was pretty close but it was just a little too loose. I guided her hands and tied the shoe for her.
"Thank you," she said.
"We can work on it more later okay," I said.
"Okay," she said. We got in the elevator and drove over to the park where we met Owen.
"Mama can I go play on the swings?" Kamryn begged, "please?"
"Sure, Owen and I are going to sit here okay?" I said.
"Okay," she said and ran off to the playground.
"Hey," I said to Owen.
"Hey," he smiled.
"Sorry this isn't really ideal," I chuckled.
"Anywhere you are is ideal," he said and I smiled. We sat down at a picinic table and he was adorable.
"So how was the home visit?" He asked.
"It went well, Cauldwell said hopefully I can get adoption papers soon from the judge," I said.
"Really? That's awesome Amelia," he smiled.
"I'm so excited," I said, "I love her so much."
"She loves you too," he said, "I can tell."