62: Appendicitis

a few weeks later
AMELIAS POV
"Mama," I heard a weak voice say.
"Hm?" I said.
"Mama I need you," Kamryn said.
"What's wrong?" I said as I sat up. Owen and Ellie were still asleep.
"I don't feel good," she said. I felt her forehead and she felt really warm.
"Okay come here," I said. She followed me into the hall bathroom and I took her temperature. 102. That was awfully high.
"Does anything else hurt?" I asked.
"My tummy," she said. Before I could ask anything else she threw up in the toilet.
"Okay," I said and grabbed paper towels.
"It hurts," she complained.
"Your tummy still?" I asked. She nodded.
"Do you have a headache or anything?" I asked. She shook her head no.
"It really hurts," she complained.
"Let's go back to your room okay?" I said. She nodded and we walked back to your room.
"I'm just gonna press on your tummy to see if there's a bigger problem okay?" I said. She looked scared but nodded.
"Is it gonna hurt?" She asked.
"It might a little," I said.
"Okay," she said. I lifted her shirt and lightly pressed down on her abdomen.
"Ow," she complained.
"Did that hurt a lot?" I asked. She nodded.
"Stay here okay?" I said.
"Where are you going?" She said, "is something wrong?"
"We have to go to the hospital," I said. She looked so scared.
"You'll be okay I promise," I said.
"Okay," she said.
"I love you," I said.
"I love you too," she said. I walked back into the bedroom and Owen was still asleep.
"Owen," I said and rubbed his back.
"Hm? What's up?" He said.
"We have to go to the hospital," I said.
"What why?" He said and opened his eyes.
"I think Kamryn has appendicitis," I said.
"You're sure?" He said.
"Yeah, she has a super high fever, vomiting, and a tender abdomen," I said.
"Okay," he said, "get changed we'll go." We both rushed to get ready and I picked up Ellie. I was hoping she wouldn't wake up but I knew she would eventually.
"Do I call Mer to take Ellie?" I asked.
"Why don't I take Kamryn to the hospital and you drop Ellie of at Mer's and meet us there? Or vice versa," He said.
"That sounds fine," I said.
"Mama," Kamryn complained as she walked into the hallway.
"Okay princess we're going to the hospital," Owen said and picked her up. Kamryn winced in pain and I grabbed my phone to call Meredith.
"Is mama coming?" Kamryn asked.
"She has to go drop Ellie off with your cousins okay? But she's going to meet us there I promise," I said. She nodded and I could see her fighting not to cry.
"You're so brave okay? You're going to be okay," I said and kissed her head, "I love you."
"I love you too," Kamryn said. Her and Owen left and I called Meredith.
"Amelia? You okay?" She said. I looked over at the clock and it was 4am.
"Hey, I think Kamryn has appendicitis, I'm so sorry to ask but can I drop Ellie off for a few hours so I can meet her and Owen at the hospital?" I said.
"Yes oh my gosh hope everything is okay," Meredith said. I strapped Ellie in her car seat and she somehow didn't wake up. I hope she doesn't freak out when she wakes up at Meredith's house. I drove over to Mer's and she opened the door for me.
"Hey," she said.
"I'm so sorry it's so early," I said.
"It's okay, this is what sisters are for, update me on Kammie okay?" She said and hugged me.
"Of course," I nodded.
"Love you," she said.
"Love you too," I said. I sped over to the hospital and found Kamryn and Owen in the ER. Kamryn looked like she was in so much pain and my heart broke. I ran over to her and grabbed her other hand.
"It's appendicitis," Arizona said, "we're gonna book an OR."
"Okay," I said and looked at Owen.
"What's happening?" Kamryn said worried, "where am I going?"
"Kamryn honey you need to have surgery okay? It'll be super quick and it'll stop all your pain okay? Your mama and daddy will be waiting for you right here when you're done okay?" Arizona said.
"Okay," Kamryn said.
"You're in good hands I promise," Arizona said.
"Be brave okay?" I said and kissed her head.
"We'll be right with you when you get out," Owen said. They took her up to surgery and I felt like I couldn't breathe.
"Hey she'll be okay," Owen said and pulled me into a hug.
OWENS POV
This morning was scary. It still is. I trust Arizona though. I wouldn't want anyone else doing Kamryn's surgery. Amelia was stressing out, I mean I was too, I was trying to keep it together for her. I reached over and held her hand. She looked up at me and I ran my thumb over the back of her hand.
"She's gonna be okay right? An appendectomy is an easy procedure right?" Amelia said.
"She'll be okay, you know Arizona is the best," I reassured.
"I know," Amelia said, "you're right."
"Just relax, it'll be okay," I said.
"She was in so much pain," Amelia frowned.
"She's going to feel so much better post-op," I said, "and I'm sure she'll be thrilled that she can eat ice pops for the next day."
"She will," Amelia chuckled. I kissed her head and she leaned on my shoulder. I intertwined my fingers with hers and hoped Kamryn would be okay. I took out my phone and texted Meredith.
"Hey, hows ellie doing?" I sent.
"Fast asleep," Meredith sent.
"Thank you," I sent.
"How's Amelia? She seemed panicky when she came over," Meredith sent.
"Definitely panicky," I sent.
"Keep me updated," Meredith sent.
"Will do," I sent.
AMELIAS POV
"Amelia," Owen said, "hey she's out of surgery."
"She's okay?" I asked.
"Yeah, Arizona said she should be waking up soon," Owen said.
"Let's go," I smiled. I was so glad Kamryn was okay. I know it was just an appendectomy but I was worried. This was our first major hospital experience with one of the girls.
"Have you talked to Mer?" I asked.
"I just texted her, and she said a few minutes ago Ellie was doing fine," Owen said, "after we see Kamryn I can go pick Ellie up."
"Okay," I said. We walked down the hallway and met Arizona at her door.
"She just woke up," she smiled as she opened the door, "Miss Kamryn you have some visitors!"
"Oh you are so brave and strong," I said and kissed her head, "I love you so much."
"I love you too," Kamryn said.
"I love you sweet pea," Owen said, "so glad you're okay."