46: Big Sister

one week later
AMELIAS POV
Today we were telling Kamryn. I was so excited.
"Good morning," Owen said as he pecked my lips and then kissed my forehead.
"Good morning," I smiled.
"Are we telling her today?" Owen asked cutely as his hand made its way on my stomach.
"Yes," I smiled and put my hand over his.
"When do you want to get an ultrasound?" Owen asked.
"Um," I said, "maybe next week?" I was putting it off so much because I was so scared.
"Okay," he said and kissed my head, "it's okay to be scared." He ran his thumb over my stomach and I smiled.
"Our baby is in there," he smiled.
"I know," I smiled, "I'm so excited."
"Me too," he said and kissed me. We got up and I grabbed the shirt I bought for Kamryn that said "worlds best big sister!" on it. Honestly I had no idea how she would react. I feel like she'll be excited but at the same time she had a bad past with Jamie so I don't know. I don't know what to expect.
"She might not be happy," I said to Owen, "it might take her some time."
"I know," he said and kissed my cheek. We've talked about this a million times just because I'm really nervous what she would think. Honestly I wanted to ask her how she felt about it before Owen and I tried for kids but I guess that didn't really work out. Our door opened and I saw Kamryn.
"Good morning," I smiled and picked her up.
"Good morning mama and daddy!" She giggled.
"So mama and daddy have something to tell you before we get ready for school and work okay?" I said.
"Okay," she said and sat down on the bed. Owen handed me the shirt and I gave it to her as we both sat down across from her.
"Can you read what that says?" Owen said.
"Works best big sister?" Kamryn said, "are you having a baby?"
"I am having a baby," I smiled. She sat there for a minute and looked down at the shirt again.
"Is it a girl or boy?" She asked, and that made me smile, because she was okay with it.
"We don't know yet," Owen said.
"When do you know?" Kamryn said.
"Soon, we have to get an ultrasound first," I said.
"What's that?" She said.
"When the doctors use special tools to look at the baby from inside mama's belly," I said.
"Can I see?" She asked. I looked at Owen and chuckled.
"Well we can bring you back pictures," I said.
"Of the baby?" She said.
"Yup of the baby," Owen said.
"Really?" She smiled.
"Yup, you're going to have a baby brother or sister," I smiled, "are you excited?" She nodded.
"Yes," she giggled. I smiled and kissed her head as she crawled into my lap.
"Is the baby in your tummy?" Kamryn said confused.
"Yup," I said.
"Where?" She said and looked at me. I chuckled and kissed her head.
"Well the baby is really small right now so you can't really tell, but he or she is in there," I smiled.
"Oh, ok," she said, "how did the baby get in your tummy?" I looked at Owen and chuckled.
"Uh it's complicated," I said.
"Oh," she said, "okay."
"Alright well now it's time for school," I said, "I'll go make you breakfast while you get dressed okay?"
"Okay mama," she giggled and ran down the hallway. I looked at Owen and smiled.
"I think she's excited," I smiled.
"I think so too," Owen nodded.
"I'm glad that went well," I said.
"Me too," Owen smiled and wrapped his arms around my waist.
"She's going to be a great big sister," Owen smiled.
"She is," I giggled and kissed him.
"I love you," Owen said.
"I love you too," I said.
-
I was off today, which was kinda boring. Owen has work and Kamryn was still at school. I'm glad Kamryn took the news well this morning. I was really worried she'd be upset or scared. Maybe she is and she's hiding it. I don't know. I'm just glad she's excited, because Owen and I are over the moon. I looked at my phone and it was 11:50, which meant I had to pick up Kamryn soon. I did a load of laundry and folded all the clothes into a neat pile and then grabbed my keys and phone and went to pick Kamryn up. I pulled into the parking lot and she cane running out.
"Hi princess," I smiled, "how was school?"
"It was good," she giggled. I kissed her head and buckled her in the backseat. We drove back home and I unlocked the apartment and she ran inside. She unpacked her backpack and I started making her a grilled cheese for lunch.
"Mama?" Kamryn said.
"Yes?" I said.
"Can I ask you something?" She said innocently as she climbed onto the chair with her homework folder.
"Of course you can," I said as I cut her grilled cheese in half and handed her the plate.
"Is the baby going to be nice?" She said, and I knew where she was going with this.
"Of course the baby is going to be nice," I said, "he or she is going to look up to you as their awesome older sister."
"So they won't be like Jamie right?" She said quietly.
"They won't be I promise, Owen and I won't let your sibling hurt you okay," I said. She nodded.
"That's what I thought, because you and daddy are nice so the baby has to be nice," she said.
"That's right," I said.
"I hope it's a girl," she said.
"Would you be sad if it was a boy?" I said.
"No," she said.
"Owen and I are going to see the baby next week," I said.
"Why can't I go?" She said upsetly.
"Well that's because it's only something for mommy and daddys, but, the doctor can take pictures of the baby and we'll come home and show you," I insisted.
"They take pictures inside your tummy?" She said.
"That's right," I said.
"That's weird," she said.
"Yeah," I chuckled, "it is a little."
"When is the baby going to be here?" She asked.
"Around eight to nine months," I said.
"Nine months?" She said sadly, "I have to wait that long?"
"I'm afraid so sweetheart," I said.
"But I want to see the baby now," she frowned and I could see tears forming in her eyes. She was so precious.
"Oh don't cry," I said, "the baby needs time to grow, you want your little sibling to be healthy right?"
"Yeah," she sniffled, "but why does it take so long?" I pulled her into my lap and hugged her.
"Because your little sibling needs to grow everything important, like their brain, lungs, tummy, everything, I'd the baby comes too soon, they could be unhealthy," I said.
"Okay," she nodded.
"You understand?" I said. She nodded and I kissed her head. Talking about healthy babies made me hope ours was healthy. I don't know what I would do if it wasn't.