48: Afraid

AMELIAS POV
I held Kamryn close to me, never wanting to let go. She was still crying, and my heart broke.
"Mama why did she come back?" She said softly and looked at me, "does she want to take me?"
"We aren't going to let that happen," Owen reassured.
"Why is she mean to me?" Kamryn said crying.
"Shh it's okay honey," I said and wrapped my arms around her.
"She left me with Jamie but won't let me live with you," she said sadly.
"She's not going to take you away from us okay?" I said. She nodded and snuggled into me. I wrapped my arms around her and rubbed her back.
"I promise you mama and daddy are going to do everything possible to keep you safe okay?" I said. She nodded. Owen sat down next to me and rubbed Kamryn's back. I looked at him and he kissed my forehead. I was just so glad my family was okay.
-
Kamryn fell asleep after a little while. I stayed with her for almost an hour while Owen went out and grabbed some food. I heard him come home and I got up and pulled the covers over Kamryn.
"I love you baby girl," I said and kissed her head. I left her door open figuring I could hear her if she woke up. I walked into the kitchen and I walked over to Owen.
"Hey," he said and hugged me.
"I love you so much," I said crying, "thank you for always protecting us."
"I love you too," he said, "and you don't have to thank me." He wrapped me into a tight hug as I started crying again. He rubbed my back and kissed my head. He held me for a while and eventually we sat down to eat.
OWENS POV
Today was scary. Really scary. I don't want to think about what could have happened if I wasn't home. Kamryn fell asleep and Amelia and I were eating dinner on the couch.
"Should we move?" Amelia said quietly, "she knows where we live."
"Well I think the baby also needs a bedroom," I chuckled, "Rose knowing where we live or not."
"Yeah I figured that too," she chuckled, "so, do you want to go house hunting?"
"Yeah," I smiled.
"Exciting," she smiled.
"It is," I said.
"I just want to keep her safe," Amelia sighed, "I feel like I can't do that."
"We can keep her safe together," I said.
"Do you think Kamryn doesn't accept me as her mom?" Amelia said quietly.
"Why would you think that? She adores you," I said and stroked her hair.
"Because I'm letting what rose said get to me," she said.
"Don't, she's upset, Don't let her angry, hurtful words get to you. That's what she wants. You can't let her tear you down, because she's wrong," I said and kissed her cheek, "you're Kamryn's mother, and she loves you very much." She smiled at me and nodded.
"Thank you," She said.
"You're welcome," I said. I pulled her into my arms and she rest her head on my chest while we watched mindless TV. I rubbed her back and she seemed to have calmed down.
AMELIAS POV
Owen and I were getting ready to go to bed. I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I thought about Rose today. Today was scary as hell. I'm thankful Owen was here. Who knows what could have happened if he wasn't. I heard my bedroom door open and it was Kamryn.
"Mama?" She said softly.
"I'm in here," I said. I turned to see her standing in the bathroom doorway. She was clutching her stuffed animal.
"Hey what's up?" I said as I picked her up.
"I can't sleep," she said.
"Why don't I go tuck you back in bed? How does that sound?" I said. She nodded and we walked back down to her bedroom. I tucked her in and she grabbed my hand.
"Can you stay in here?" She said softly.
"Sure," I said and kissed her head, "mama can stay in here." She moved over and I laid down next to her.
"I'm scared," Kamryn said as she snuggled closer to me. I pulled the covers over both of us and kissed her forehead.
"Of Rose?" I said. She nodded.
"What if she tries to hurt me? Or you? Or daddy?" She said.
"She won't, I promise princess," I said.
"Promise?" She said. I nodded.
"Where's daddy?" She asked.
"In our room, want me to go get him?" I said. She nodded. I got up and walked down the hallway. I peeked in our room.
"Hey," I said.
"Hey," he said.
"Kamryn's still a little scared, so I told her we'd both sleep in her room," I said.
"Well, sounds like we're having a sleepover then," he said and grabbed his pillow.
"You're the best," I said and kissed him.
"No that's you," he said. I grabbed his arm and walked down to her room. We both laid on either side of her as she started to fall asleep. Owen reached over her and put his arm on my arm.
"I love you," I smiled.
"I love you too," he said. I smiled down at Kamryn and I just hoped I could do enough to keep her safe.