Twenty-two

"I'm just saying that when he gets back, I'm going to punch him in the nose." Marco said. He was completely hyped about the idea, punching his own palm as he jumped around the Ravenclaw common room. "I'm going to make him bleed like he made you bleed. Maybe I'll even use that pocketknife of yours and slice of his fingers one by one so he can never use them to hit you again."

I was listening to what he was saying. It was impossible not to. Sure, I was currently sitting with a book in one of the small sofa's on the first floor of the common room where the bookshelves were, but I couldn't block out Marco's voice.

He was being loud and not subtle about it at all. We were at the start of December which meant that Cameron was gonna be back this month and I think Marco was dreading it more than I was.

"He's not going to do anything." I said, glancing up at my friend. "He will be too busy with all the schoolwork he's missed out on."

Marco sighed and pouted at me as he folded his arms over his chest. "So I can't punch him?"

"No." I shook my head. "Just leave it be."

"Yeah, Allie's with George now." Cedric said. He was sitting next to me after we had snuck him into the common room. It was Thursday so no one had noticed since most people were in class.

"I'm not with George." I argued. "I simply kissed him a few times. Or— he kissed me. I actually haven't been the one to lead yet. Maybe he hasn't asked me out because he thinks I don't like him. Wait, no— no because I told him he didn't have to ask me if he wanted to kiss me... maybe I should ask him out. No... no, we're friends. We're just friends."

I went back to look at my book while Marco and Cedric exchanged a glance, secretly telling each other that I had gone mad.

"Yes, because we all kiss our friends." Cedric said, his voice full of sarcasm. I slammed my book closed before I looked at him with a cocked eyebrow.

"Well I am sorry, Mr Hogwarts champion. Maybe you don't kiss your friends but I mean— I've kissed Marco before and neither of us has any feelings other than friendship."

"True enough." Marco nodded and I stuck out my tongue at Ced, proving my point.

"But you never had feelings for Marco to start with." He continued. "And you've already admitted that you're into George, so why not just go for it? What could possibly go wrong?"

"Well, I don't know." I breathed heavily, slamming the book down against my thighs. "Maybe he'll say no. Maybe he'll laugh in my face."

"And why would he do that?" Marco asked. I looked at him as he leaned back against the railing.

"He's a joker, a— a prankster." I said with a shrug of my shoulder before shyly looking down at the book. "What if it's all a joke? His way of joking around with me? He might not be serious about it."

"Oh Jesus." Marco sighed, rolling his eyes while Cedric simply chucked at my fear.

"Allie, I know you're smart and everything— you usually are smart, but right now, you're just blind." Cedric told me. "George obviously has a crush on you at the very least. Maybe I'd even take it a step further and say he's in love with you."

"He's not in love with me." I snorted. "There's absolutely no way. I know he fancies me, and I fancy him back but love? He's not in love with me."

"Maybe not." Cedric shrugged. "But if you give it a chance and ask him out, he may eventually fall in love with you."

Marco pushed himself off of the railing and walked over to me. He crouched down in front of me and snatched the book from my hands.

"Babe—" he grinned at me. "... you've practically got the whole school in love with you already. Boys and girls. Who wouldn't want a strong, independent woman who carries a knife, is smart, who isn't scared to speak her mind and is very affectionate and gives a big shit about everyone around her? The answer is no-one. No-one would say no to a girl like that."

"Exactly!" Cedric agreed. "Listen to Marco. He tend to be right— most of the time."

"Exa— what?" Marco looked at Cedric with a frown before he stood up. "What d'ya mean, most of the time? I'm always right."

"Wha— s-sure you are, Marco." Cedric nodded. "My apologies. 'Course."

I bit back a laugh, watching their interaction as Marco then looked at me.

"Plus—" he added with a grin. "You're rich. You could work as a sugar mummy. Give the boy some jewellery, some nice shoes."

I rolled my eyes, standing up. I grabbed the book that he took from me before, and walked over to put it away in the same spot I took it from.

"My parents are rich." I corrected Marco. "There's a difference."

"Yeah, well didn't your dad buy you all of those really expensive jewellery? If you're ever in need of money, you can quickly sell them and become rich."

I slowly folded my arms over my chest, watching him with a raised eyebrow.

"Now I know why you're dating my brother." I joked with a fake gasp. "You're a gold digger!"

William likes to buy Marco stuff. I know Marco's not with him for the money but my brother just likes to spoil people, especially Marco.

"Whore." Marco shot back, flipping me off before he walked to his dormitory. I shook my head at him before my eyes landed on Cedric who had watched the small interaction with a smile on his face.

"How's your arm?" I asked. "Still burnt?"

"Only slight." He told me. "It's healing up quick and it doesn't hurt anymore."

I sat back down next to him and gently took his arm to examine it. Then I hummed and let go of it again.

"You should go and find George." He said. "Ask him out. Get closer to him and he might be the person you go with to the Yule Ball."

Right, the Yule Ball.

Today it was announced that there will be a ball on December 25th for students above year four. Though if your date is above year four and you're below, you can go too.

I don't have to worry. I'm sixteen and in my sixth year. Marco is going with William and Cedric is thinking about asking Cho Chang.

Flitwick informed us about the whole thing this morning at the end of Charms class.

"Maybe later." I said, folding my arms over my chest as I leaned back. The thought of asking George out, scared me. Sure, I'm pretty independent like Marco said and women can do just the same things as men, but asking him out, is scary as fuck. Especially since we haven't talked for a couple of days. "Have you figured out the clue, yet? The golden egg?"

Cedric let out a heavy sigh as he shook his head. "No. All it does is scream to the point it physically hurts my ears."

I hummed in response, furrowing my eyebrows as I tried to come up with something that could help him figure out the clue. I mean, screaming egg couldn't possibly be it.

"Uh— how about you use the tub in the prefect bathroom?" I asked. "Open the egg underwater. Water drowns out sound."

Cedric looked at me for a moment, processing what I said before his eyes widened and he sat up straight.

"Allie! That's brilliant!" He exclaimed. "I have to do that!"

He stood up. I chuckled at his enthusiasm as he spun around to look at me again.

"I'm gonna go do that, right now." He told me before pointing at me. "And you. Go ask him out before you regret it. If he knows you're interested, you're the only one to get his attention. A lot of girls are thirsting over him and someone might want to ask him to the Yule Ball. If he knows you're interested, he's not going to want to go with anyone but you."

I narrowed my eyes at Cedric, but he simply smiled widely at me as he made his way towards the stairs.

Hate it when he's right.