~ Chapter 64: Waves of Change ~

"What the heck?!" Y/N exclaimed in shock while Kirby gasped with his eyes wide.

"What are those?!" Sonic exclaimed, glaring.

The rest of the Freedom Fighters were shocked to see strange dark creatures attacking the city with innocent people running for their lives on screen.

"This is amateur footage from the other night. Someone in Westopolis recorded video of these... things... attacking after dark." Nicole explained.

"Are we too late to help?" Sally asked in worry.

"G.U.N. and local law enforcement arrived in time, and from what I've gathered, no one was seriously hurt."

"I guess that's the best we could hope for."

Sonic starts walking around, placing his hand on his chin thinking. Y/N wonders what are those creatures are that attack in night.

"I bet this is all linked to the professors' research." Tails guessed. "Professor Pickle said this was in the Gaia manuscripts' end-of-the-world scenario, and those monsters could be tied into the dark energy Uncle Chuck was studying!"

"Ha! C-Can we not be using ze term 'end of the world'?" Antoine stuttered with a nervous sweatdrop. "I am very much preferring ze idea zat we can still fix zis."

"Uncle Chuck said that goop was corruptive-- mutagenic. What if those monsters were just some poor critters changed by the dark energy?" Bunnie asked.

"Guys--" Sonic goes between the married couple with a nervous smile. "You're overthinking it. Thanks to the profs, we know what to do: find the Chaos Emeralds, plug 'em into the Gaia Temples, save the world. Simple."

"Right--" Sally raised her eyebrow with a smirk at Sonic. "Like finding all the emeralds alone isn't hard."

Y/N and Kirby snickered as Sonic winked at his girlfriend.

"Eh, I do it all the time. But then, nobody is as skilled as me, are they?"

"Watch it-- I don't think the Sky Patrol can support the weight of your ego."

Sally then turned serious.

"But Sonic is right about what we need to do, and we should do it quickly. We'll start by breaking into search and recovery teams. Sonic, Y/N-- I want you two to take Amy and Rotor and do recon on a possible Gaia Temple."

"Pooteetah!" Kirby shouted at Sally, jumping up and down.

"Sorry. You can go too, Kirby. Don't think I forgot about you." Sally giggled.

Kirby's eyes sparkle in happiness and excitement.

"In the meantime, I'm having Nicole cross-reference some of the data I took from the Death Egg." Sally continued. "Be careful out there. This crisis affects everyone, and not all of them are handling it well-- those we know about. We've hardly met every race and culture out there..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later, Sonic, Y/N, Kirby, Amy, and Rotor are walking on the beach.

"Why does everyone else get to go on the emerald grabbing mission while I'm stuck beach-combing?" Sonic whined.

"Oh, don't be so sour, bro! I'm pretty sure there might be some things that are exciting than going on emerald hunt." Y/N said.

Kirby was looking at the ocean in awe.

"She's right! If something goes wrong, we need you and Y/N to handle everything!" Amy said, smirking at Sonic.