Once

I heard the footsteps of the boy and felt relief. I was hungry and will get dinner soon. Closing my eyes for a few seconds, I took a deep breath and opened them again, watching the boy using the key to unlock my cell, enter with some dishes and putting them on the sofa table.

A bowl with some soup, a plate with some meat, rice and potatoes, a plate with pasta and some sauce, a bowl with some colorful vegetables and, last but not least, a plate with cookies and white cream with charamel and some cherries on top. Yum yum.

It was still a riddle to me, like how he could carry so many dishes at once and still use the key to open the door, without putting anything down, or dropping a plate. Maybe he was a waiter before he came here and became my personal prison guard then.
I thought too much again. I should eat something.

Carefully I took a spoon, which was already in the soup bowl and tasted the hot content. It was some kind of pumpkin, cream, yogurt... And... Some other vegetable I couldn't assign to anything I knew. It tasted good.

After eating half the soup I tried the meat with rice and potatoes. It tasted like pork and was a little dry so whoever cooked at was not really doing such a good job. It was okay though. I didn't had to eat it if I didn't wanted to.

My mum always told me the same thing. Take yourself as more important as the dead animal which meat is infront of you. It might sound selfish but it doesn't help anyone when you have a stomach ache because you ate too much or a not very good cooked meat. You will just get unhappy. And wasting food is not worth throwing your wellbeing away. It's a question of priorities.

It's eighter your own body and health or one not eaten up meat of a dead animal which can't care anymore. It didn't die for nothing because it couldn't get eaten. It died to get bought and sold. You didn't killed it. It's not your fault you can't eat it or don't want to do so. You can't make everything right and always eat up everything. It just not healthy. Not really. Not that not wasting food was not important.

It's just what is more important? Yourself and how you feel or the food and eating it all up so you don't have to throw it away and not feeling guilty about it? Was this just all about guilt? Or about really actually stopping before you eat something bad, not tasty or too much?

It's just preventing wasting food at all costs but that's not always right when you don't care enough about yourself, your wellbeing and being careful what and how much you eat and what you put into your body.

That's just an opinion. I knew there were others too. Maybe there was a way of having it all, not wasting food but always eat everything up with staying healthy and not feeling bad because it was too much.

It's just not always that easy but that's what it is about. And it wasn't easy to explain or describe it. Everyone thinks differently about food, waste and health. Opinions can be different. It was an educational method. And I always thought it was a good one.

I snapped out of what my mum once said and went on to taste the pasta. It was better than the dry meat. Well cooked. With a good carbonara sauce. I really liked it.