Day 29

When someone gets angry with you the natural inclination is to get angry right back. We want to fight, kick, or scream right back. We want to cause them as much pain as they caused you. Someone does something mean someone else retaliates, the first person gets revenge, then the second person fights back. There is no end to this cycle of fighting unless one of those people stops it. Neither one is happy if they're fighting each other like that. God tells us to turn the other cheek and let them hit you, not because you're weak but because you're strong enough to be a better person and stop the suffering. Forgiving them frees you from a burden of them in your mind, it doesn't let them off the hook. Justice belongs to God and He will take care of punishments. Forgive them because that's what God did to us and we shouldn't withhold mercy from our equals when Jesus didn't withhold mercy from us who are so much less than He is.

Turning the other cheek shows the strength of God and His followers without having to lift a finger. It is not a weakness to not fight, some will taunt and call you scared but by turning away you have proven to be so much stronger than them. Jesus didn't say a word to defend Himself under torture and even when He could've called down an army of angel to fight for Him He took every beating.