Chapter Forty-Two: Returning Home

Jimmy looked across the in-house restaurant table at his friend and realized he had somehow said something wrong. For the past fifteen minutes after the main dishes had been cleared away he had been trying to convince the ill man to return to his team. In fact he had actually thought he was getting somewhere until he mentioned that it was just over a week and a half to Christmas. His companions' features became strained under the glow of the roaring fire they sat beside.

"What? What is it Jay?"
"I ..... I didn't realize it was so close to Christmas that's all."
"What difference does that make?"
"None," Jay replied as the Waitress returned with two pieces of apple crumble and two cappucinos, "thanks," he smiled as he accepted the dish even though his appetite was gone.
"You're lying," Jimmy argued bluntly as soon as the pair were alone again in the quiet dining setting.
"Look it's not importent."
"Actually I would say it has to be if you're willing to sit there lying to me. Even if you think it's for my own good," Jimmy said around a bite of crumble.
"Okay," Jay looked across at his friend deciding to trust him with at least some of the details, "the guy who is after me will hurt anyone close to me so I'm going to avoid that."
"But you were in the safehouse for a while. Since the attack?" Jimmy pointed to his friends' ribs.
"Yeah."
"So what made you decide to go it alone all of a sudden?"
"Someone said they would back me and they didn't."
"One of your team?" the older mans' voice took on an edge.
"No," Jay grinned at the tone, "and you said I was a protector."
"Yes well you my young friend are worth protecting. Now who let you down?"
"Look he thought he was doing the right thing. His heart was in the right place."
"Not if it led to you nearly getting pneumonia! Now tell me who I have to punch."
"Will."
"Your brother? You told me he's a Doctor."
"He is."
"I remember you also told me he could be arrogant sometimes when he thought he was right."
"True," Jay shrugged, "look he just tipped me over the edge. Ever since I got to Glencoe I'd been making plans to get away if necessary."
"So who is after you?"
"That's not something I'm willing to divulge," Jay sipped the hot liquid, "hate to ask after everything you've done but could you ....,"
"You already asked," Jimmy took an envelope out of his pocket and passed it across the table, "there's $4,150 there. If you need more I can get it."
"Thanks Jimmy that's more than enough," Jay went to take out some notes, "don't need that much."
"Keep it. I know you're good for it. Now what are you going to do when you leave here?"
"Going to start calling the shots."
"Just be careful those ribs aren't fully healed yet."
"I will and thanks Jimmy for everything."
"No thanks needed just a promise."
"Promise?"
"When the dust settles you come for a proper visit. Diego doesn't believe half the stories I told him about what we got up to in Boot Camp. Figure he'll believe you."
"Deal," Jay offered his hand and a genuine smile.

------------------------------------

Although it had initially been his intention to deal with the old man in Evanston after spending time with the Ortegas Jay was reluctant to use the location so he decided to head back to his home ground. He knew it was time to get things settled once and for all. He thought of Will and considered ringing him from a payphone but didn't want to risk the call being traced. Instead before leaving Evanston he had left a letter with Jimmy to be posted a few days later at a post office in nearby Wilmette. The letter to his sibling explained that he had to deal with their father by himself. He knew the team would be given the letter but it would hopefully buy him some time. Some of the borrowed money had allowed him to buy clothes, toiletries, food and some useful items. A newly acquired black rucksack now held his belongings and he caught the first train to Union Station for a mere $2. The twenty-nine minute journey back to Chicago gave him time to think. He figured his brother and friends had expected him to head straight home after he took off so he was figuring that by now they had realized their error and the Evanston trail should buy him more time. Knowing Will and Conor they were back at work but taking precautions. His Ranger buddies would still be in town he knew but they would not be under guard.  Voight would not have been able to convince them to stay in a safehouse when Jay wasn't present. That realization had been one of the things which distressed Jay the most. Everyone was willing to put their lives on hold for him. Didn't they know he wasn't worth it?

As the train pulled into Canal Street the pale Detective caught a glimpse of himself reflected in the window as he stood up to put on the rucksack.  Amongst the useful items he had bought black hair dye and brown contact lenses so the image somewhat discomfited him but he shook it off knowing he needed to take every precaution to avoid his team locating him before he wanted them to.  Booking in at a cheap hotel he spared no time in fitting two solid locks to the door.  He would pay extra when leaving.  Now all he had to do was make a phone call.  It was that simple and that complicated.  He had to ring his father and decided to do it straight away before he talked himself out of it.  He already knew what his father wanted. Had always known.  Of course the little matter of four assault rifles was something he did not understand. Another reason to speak to the man before he actually decided to use those weapons.  Standing by the dirty window looking out at the torrential downpour Jay dialled the dreaded number on the burner phone he had picked up.  As expected the call was accepted immediately and the young man felt his stomach turn.  The voice from his nightmares was alive and well and he was about to bring his demon out into the light.  The brief conversation went as he wanted it to. He hadn't given the old man a chance to set any rules. He just told him to be at Union Station at 11 a.m. the next day at the food court by Kellys Cajun Grill. He hung up as his father was still speaking then sat down on the bed and willed his hands to stop shaking. Cursing he flung the cell at his rucksack.  When was he ever going to be able to leave his past where it belonged? It was always with him but the long buried memories which had made their way to the surface showed no signs of sinking back to where they had been consigned.  Memories which still made sleep an elusive commodity.  From tomorrow we was going to be in charge.  Tomorrow would be the first step in making sure his father was never a risk to anyone ever again and he could then get on with his life.  He told himself he just had to get through the long hours of darkness before the rest of his life started.

tbc