Chapter One Hundred and Fifty-Five: The Return

The rains descended on the solitary figure unheeded.  Jay had left Evanston three days ago having said a reluctant goodbye to the Ortegas for he knew he could not hide out from his problems for long.  Visiting his fathers' grave was something he needed to do in the hope of getting some closure.  Now standing before the marble headstone bearing his parents' names he allowed his hurt to come to the surface.   Tears intermingled with raindrops as he cried for what could have been and for what was lost.  The old question of why his father hated him still remained unanswered.  The fact that his parents had not planned for a second child did not warrant the animosity bestowed on him.  Rubbing his eyes angrily Jay apologized to his mother as he bent down and straightened the pink roses he had placed on the grass upon his arrival, her favourites.  He hoped as always she was at peace.  A blast of thunder heralded more lighting and he decided to head back to the truck.  He wasn't sure where he should head to.  If he went to the apartment Will and the others would track him down easily.  Upon reaching  his truck he climbed in and turned the heat up full blast, relishing the hot air enveloping him as he finally registered his wet clothes.  After a few minutes he headed for downtown.  He decided to book a hotel room for a few days.  Just to give him a chance to think his options through. Unwilling to use his credit card Jimmy had given him a loan of his.  It would mean Mouse couldn't track him.  Unfortunately in this day and age all hotels required a card to hold on file in case a room was damaged or worse, even if a guest paid in cash.

The stay with Jimmy and his family had made him see what exactly he was giving up, a sense of family which had somehow built up between the unit over the years.  He had learnt in the military that not all all families shared blood.  Oh people said the words but it was a totally different thing to live the words.   He decided he would take a week off to convince Voight he had dealt with his problems.  In reality he acknowledged he was going to be dealing with everything that had happened and had been brought up for some time to come but he would handle things as they came up.   Since making his decision and knowing it was the right one the knot in his stomach had resolved and although his self confidence was not back to its' usual level he knew only time on the job would return the full measure to him.   After checking into the Intercontinental, a venue Kelly had suggested before, he went for a walk alongside the gleaming night waters and pulled out the burner phone he had purchased.   Debating whether to text or ring the pale man leant against the concrete wall as passersby moved quickly to get out of the rain.  Dialling the familiar number Jay waited anxiously.

"Voight!"
"Ah .... Sarge.  It's Halstead," the young Detective wasn't sure what reception he was going to get as he shivered in the cold breeze drifting over the water.
"Hell Kid where the hell are you?" the gruff man signalled to Mouse to trace the call as everyone paid attention.
"Just taking some time to get my act together."
"That sounds like you've changed your mind about leaving."
"Do I still ... have a job?"
"Sure Kid.  Never wanted to lose you.  There's probably going to be some red tape but we can ....,"
"Gotta go Sarge.  See you in a week and thanks," Jay discreetly left the mobile fall onto the blanket of a sleeping homeless man as he quickly headed back to the hotel.

Precinct

"Well at least he seems to have changed his mind about resigning," Antonio noted in relief after several curses were voiced upon learning the call could not he traced.
"How did he sound?" Kevin demanded with concern.
"Tired. Guess he has a lot on his mind," Voight looked around at the team, "said he'd be back in a week.  It's not going to be plain sailing though so expect troubled waters ahead."
"What do you mean?" Adam queried, hoping his worries were unfounded.
"He still needs to deal with everything that has happened.  It won't go away by itself."
"He'll deal with it," Adam insisted.
"This is something I need to speak to him about," Voight stated firmly, "for now let's just be glad he changed his mind."
"Wonder why he did?" Al asked aloud.
"Guess we'll find out," Antonio shrugged happy now that the whole unit would be back together again.
"Guess we will," Voight agreed as he headed into his office to make a phone call in preparation for his subordinates' return, one which Halstead would not appreciate.

                                                                  -------------------------------------------

Jays' attendance at the precinct a week later, as promised, was greeted with mixed reactions.  Although everyone who greeted him as soon as he ascended the steps into the foyer were genuinely pleased to see him their initial joy was soon overtaken by concern.  Word had gone around he had taken a vacation but by the look of the young man he had not had much rest.  His blue eyes were tinged with black skin and his features were bereft of colour.  It was obvious he hadn't been on a sun holiday, if in fact he had been on a holiday at all.  Pratt got her first look at the young man as he was stopped by a couple of Patrol Officers.  She was not impressed.  She'd tell Voight he needed his head checked calling him in to work.  Unaware of the concern for him Jay finally got away from the uniforms and walked over to the desk intending to give Pratt a quick hello.   Before he reached the tall desk however she had left her usual domain and walked around to stand in front of him with an assessing glance before pulling him in for a quick hug and releasing him before hurrying back to her work without a word.

"Ah Sarge .. wha ....," Jay knew he was blushing.
"Just glad to have you back," the tough Sergeant observed tersely keeping her eyes on the papers before her.
"Yes Sarge," the surprised Detective went while the going was good, ignoring the chuckles at his discomfiture.

"Hell man thought you were having a break," Adam greeted his friend at the top of the stairs, "you look like you need another one."
"What?" Jay was looking behind him, half afraid Platt might venture upstairs, that was one scary lady.
"Jay!" Antonio and Kevin greeted in unison as they came out of the small kitchen.
"Hi Guys."
"So what did you do on your time off?" Al decided to get an answer as to why the young man looked wrecked.
"Oh did some travelling.  Got in some scuba diving and rock climbing."
"That why you look like a ragdoll?" a gruff voice enquired joining the conversation causing Jay to roll his eyes before turning to greet his Superior.
"Didn't think I looked like a 'ragdoll' Sarge."
"Come on let's have a talk."
"About?" Jay stayed where he was.
"Kid I need to go over some paperwork with you," the Sergeant headed into his office not waiting to see if the other man followed.
"He won't bite," Adam put in helpfully.
"Not much anyway," Antonio deadpanned earning him a glare from Al as the reluctant man finally got his legs moving wondering just what Voight had in store and knowing he would not like it.

tbc