Chapter One Hundred and Forty-Seven: Getting Answers

"So you want to tell me why you had Carter and Thomas killed?" Jay didn't bother with niceties once Jones had stepped over to stand in front of the door with his arms folded, his full focus on the shackled man.
"You always were lucky Halstead," Franklin spoke after a brief silence, "only you could go undercover and walk away from Petrocelli alive."
"You want to tell me why you broke my cover?"
"Figured an eye for an eye," the silver haired man shrugged his shoulders unrepentantly.
"Care to elaborate?"
"You know what you did," Franklin stated quietly but angrily as he shifted on his chair.
"Nope," the young Detective shook his head, "I know for a fact I never did anything that gave you cause to come after me."
"What are you claiming? Amnesia?  You forget about Daniel?"
"Danny was my friend.   It wasn't my fault you had no time for your kid brother.   If you did you would have known that he hated to be called Daniel so don't tell me you cared about him."
"Damn you!" Franklin tried to lean over the table but it was all he could do with his hands bound to the table before him.
"So tell me what I am supposed to have done," Jay didn't react to the other mans' move, he wouldn't give him the satisfaction of a response.
"You let my brother die!"
"You know that wasn't what happened.   One thing has always bothered me though," Jay decided to seek an answer which had troubled him since he relived the night his friend took his life, "how did you know where he was?    You came running up just before it happened ........ you were in a panic."
"I got there after ........ the gun went off."
"No.   I remember it clearly.    You were there when it went down," Jay spoke thoughtfully, "why did you go to the park?"
"Mom told me to get him.   He was late for dinner," Franklin replied too quickly.
"She wasn't that worried about him being late when I called.   If she wanted him to come home straight away she would have asked me to send him home.    She knew I was looking for him."
"You don't know what you're talking about."
"I think I do.  I think when I turned up you got to wondering where he could be.   I think you got worried because he had seen you with the gun."
"No."
"He saw you with the gun and knew where it was kept," Jay continued as if the other man hadn't spoken, "you knew he was upset.   When he hadn't returned home by the time I called to the house you started worrying.  You didn't know he was going to kill himself but you knew he had the gun.   You also knew he went to the park when he was upset.   Not that you ever went there to talk to him.   He looked up to you.   You were his big brother."
"You got it wrong," Franklin put in softly but it was clear he was trying to convince himself the words spoken were untrue.
"You've been carrying guilt around for years.   You let your parents think Danny found the gun himself.   You left him alone when you knew he was upset.  Me?  All I did was try to be there for my friend.   He made his choice and I couldn't stop him."
"You should have!" the older mans' words once again retained fury.
"So all this time you've been focussing on me so you wouldn't have to deal with what you did ..... or should I say didn't do?"
"Stop it!   It's your fault!"
"You can say it as many times as you like but you and I both know the truth," Jay informed calmly in contrast to the prisoners' fury, "so I'm supposed to believe you got Carter and Thomas taken out?  Why would you do that?"
"Those idiots wouldn't let me in on what they knew about you and your old man."

Observation Room

"They didn't know about Jays' father," Adam frowned as he looked at his companions, "what's he talking about?"
"The Williamsons don't know.   We assumed Thomas and Carter didn't know either," Hank noted, "but we never interviewed them extensively."
"Are ye sure Michael Williamson doesn't know about Halstead Senior?" Moretti checked worriedly, he had been fully briefed on the sorry saga, with Jays' reluctant approval, to aid in his investigations.
"Yeah but it would have been common knowledge that the man was a tough guy," Hank explained, "we know however he only shared his 'interest' with Mancini but that was it."
"Don't think Jay was expecting this," Adam said resignedly.
"Franklin just as much as admitted he doesn't know about the old man," Hank offered hopefully, "he might be just going on a  fishing expedition."

Interview Room

"How did you get in touch with Carter and Thomas?" Jay asked after a moment, keeping his relaxed pose even if his heart was racing, this man could not know about his father!
"Ever hear of school reunions?   So what did your old man do that made you so tough?"
"What?"
"We figured you were so tough because of your old man.   Mind you Will was different.   He didn't go sticking his nose in where it wasn't wanted."
"Not sure I follow," the Detective felt his stomach churning, he couldn't know!
"You stood up to everyone in school," Franklin reminded with derision, "no one went to against you twice."
"Don't remember.  It was a long time ago."
"Nothing ever seemed to get to you.   No matter how many beatings you took you kept right on getting involved where you shouldn't have."
"I'll always have a problem with cowards picking on small kids."
"You were trying to be a hero!" Franklin spat the words out in disdain.
"All I remember is trying to get through school," the Detective stated half truthfully, "so how did you get Carter and Thomas taken care of?"
"I've made a lot of contacts over the years."
"I want names," Jay ordered but didn't bother picking up the pen lying on his notebook on the desk knowing owing thr other man was not going to divulge too much information at their first meeting and besides he knew the interview was being recorded, as did the prisoner.
"You can 'want 'all you like."
"What made you go to Petrocelli first off?"
"What do you think?
"Money," Jay shook his head in disgust, "never understood the lure of money when you have to sell your soul.   Guess for some it's easy."
"Halstead you don't get to judge me!"
"Nope I don't," the Detective concurred without hesitation, "that's up to the jury.   How long do you reckon you're going to last in jail?"
"What do you mean?"
"You know as well as I do what a Cop faces in lockup."
"I'll be in solitary."
"Didn't know there was a deal in place," Jay looked at Jones and then back at the prisoner before standing up, "if a deal was to be made you'd have to give up a hell of a lot people.   Either way I don't envy you."
"What are you doing?" Franklin frowned as the younger man walked towards the door and motioned for Jones to move.
"I'm hungry.    Feel like a break," Jay opened the door and closed it behind him without looking back at the shackled man.

Observation Room

"What do ye think?" Jay didn't waste any time as he walked into the Observation Room and eyed the three men.
"He doesn't know about the old man," Hank decided to deal with the unpleasant issue first to offer his subordinate some comfort, "he's mighty confident he's going to make a deal if he figures he's going to wind up in solitary."
"So what good does that do us?   He hasn't given any names," Moretti observed unhappily.
"He will," it was Adam who spoke up before Jay could, "he wants to impress Jay for all his bluster."
"So we leave him stew for a while?" the pale man suggested looking at his Sergeant for approval.
"You can talk to him again in the morning," Hank decided getting a nod of agreement from Moretti for they could all see the strain the young Detective was under.
"Thought I could talk to him again  this afternoon," Jay put in.
"No.   You're going back to the hotel with Adam to get some rest and before you think of arguing I can just as easily take over the questioning."
"Yes Sarge," Jay complied reluctantly knowing better than to call the older mans' bluff and besides if he didn't lie down soon he was going to fall down ......

tbc