Chapter One Hundred and Thirty-One: Change In Plans

The following morning Jay was up before his friend, after another restless night, so decided to make a proper breakfast for the pair rather than the usual quick coffee. Adam walked into the small kitchen after a quick shower and grinned at the plates full of pancakes, sitting down eagerly.

"How the hell did you manage these with one hand?"
"I'm a man of many talents," Jay offered a small glass jug of syrup to his friend as he sat down.
"Could get used to this."
"Well you won't have a chance after today because .....," Jay frowned as there was a knock on the door, "you expecting someone?"
"Nope. We're meeting the others down at the precinct," Adam quickly abandoned his treat and got up, "you stay here. Just in case."
"Yeah right!" Jay growled passing his friend as he took out his weapon.
"Hey guys anyone up?" a familiar voice shouted through the door as they approached.
"Well answer it," Jay instructed his friend as he returned to the kitchen unhappily.
"Hi Doc," the older Detective hastily let the Surgeon in, "a little heads up would have been nice."
"Sorry," Conor frowned, "didn't know it was necessary. What's going on?"
"Ah, it's kinda complicated," Adam gave the other man a look hoping he would get the message to drop the questions, he had assumed Jay had told his brother about the current threat but apparently not.
"Figured I'd check on Jay before I head to work," Conor accepted the other mans' mouthed thank you, "been a while since I've seen him."
"Yeah sure," Adam rolled his eyes unsure what the medical professional was walking into as the pair headed into the kitchen.

"Hey looks like I timed it right," Conor eyed the two full plates.
"All yours Doc," Jay gestured to his abandoned and untouched plate from where he stood leaning back against the kitchen counter, "made plenty."
"Jay man you .....," Adams' words were cut off by a furious look causing him to stop his admonishment, "take a seat Doc and join me."
"Don't mind if I do," Conor ignored the tension in the air as he poured some sugar over the top pancake, stopping himself from arguing that Jay needed the food more than he did, as he wondered just what the hell was going on.
"So any news Doc?" Adam struggled to make conversation acutely aware of his friends' fury, he had inadvertently implied Jay couldn't protect himself by ordering him to stay put while he answered the door but the guy had only one working hand so what was he supposed to do?
"Nothing exciting. Med is busy but it usually is," Conor spoke after a bite of food, "so Jay how have you been?"
"Good," the injured man rinsed out his glass after finishing the milk he had opted on instead of food.
"You getting any sleep at all?"
"Yeah course," Jay shrugged dismissively, he really wasn't in the mood for twenty questions but scolded himself internally as he knew the Surgeon did not deserve his attitude, "don't mind me Conor just having a bad day that's all."
"It's not even seven thirty in the a.m.," Conor argued taking in the strained features, "anything I can do to help?"
"No but thanks."
"Mind if I have a word with Jay alone?" the medical professional asked his dining companion.
"Sure Doc," Adam readily picked up his plate and fork and headed out into the living area where the sound of the television being turned on was soon heard.
"Take a seat," Conor gestured to the empty chair at the small table.
"What do you want?" Jay asked as he hesitantly complied.
"You want to tell me what's going on? Why was I supposed to ring first?" Conor cut into a second pancake hungrily.
"If I tell you you'll tell Will."
"Hey we've been over this Jay. I won't tell him anything you don't want me to."
"That was about medical stuff."
"Okay but I will respect your privacy in relation to anything you tell me."
"That could cover any subject."
"I know," the black haired man acknowledged easily, "I give you my word. Now you can answer my question or you can forget it. I'm not trying to force you to tell me anything. I'm just worried about you."
"Sarge is just being over cautious," Jay eventually divulged.
"Why?"
"Well it turns out Williamson was working with his brother and another guy as well as the old man," Jay explained quietly.
"So you're still under threat?" Conor put down his fork, losing his appetite, as he voiced his surprise.
"Not really. Like I said Voight is just being over cautious."
"From what I learnt Voight usually doesn't do things unless they're necessary."
"So did you talk to Will?" Jay changed the topic to another uncomfortable one but he needed to know.
"About you?"
"Yeah."
"He didn't tell me what went down when he called the other day but he was upset when he came back."
"He said ..... he said you made him see what he was doing."
"Like I told him sometimes the big picture is clearer from a distance," Conor offered, "I know he totally went about it the wrong way but he genuinely thought he was looking out for you. Do you think you'll be able to forgive him?"
"I know I'll get over it," Jay sighed heavily, "and I'm not trying to hurt him but right now I just don't want to see him. I'm afraid I might say something I regret."
"No one is saying you don't have a right to be upset."
"Is he doing okay?"
"Well apart from worrying about where ye stand he is," Conor replied leaning back in his chair, "and you don't need to ask I'll keep an eye on him."
"Thanks," Jay ducked his head, he really did have great friends.

"Damn it!" Adams' voice yelled from the living area.
"What is it?" Jay called even as he rose gingerly and headed out with Conor following.
"That was Antonio," Adam held up his cell throwing the watching Surgeon a worried look, "Jay I don't know how to say this but ...,"
"What?" the injured man frowned.
"It's Carter. He was found stabbed in his cell this morning."
"He's dead?" Jay wasn't sure what he should feel but he knew things had just become even more complicated, yet again.
"Yeah. Looks like someone got to him."
"Who is Carter?" Conor decided to get some answers.
"He helped Williamsons' brother set up the accident," Adam answered but his attention was on the pale man.
"It's probably not connected. He might have got into a fight with another inmate," Jay suggested hopefully, "he wasn't exactly easy to get along with."
"Well Sarge and Al are headed down to the prison," Adam explained, "we'll know soon enough what happened."
"Did you know him?" Conor queried.
"Not well," the injured Detective looked at his watch, "listen Conor we need to get going."
"About that Jay," Adam took a deep breath knowing what he had to say would not be welcomed, "Sarge wants us to stay here. Antonio and Kevin are on their way."
"There's still work to be done," Jay objected.
"Mouse is still trawling through the school records but Sarge and Al will come here straight after the prison."
"It's probably not connected," Jay repeated but there was no real conviction behind his words as he headed back into the kitchen deciding making a sandwich might keep him occupied, yeah right!
"What am I missing?" Conor asked as he retook his seat in the kitchen and began eating again, not out of hunger but to give some semblance of casualness.
"Will I tell him?" Adam checked as he stood by the counter watching his friend search the refrigerator.
"Okay," Jay shrugged a shoulder as he took out a block of cheese and a packet of sliced ham.
"Carter was in school with Jay. Williamson, the guy we have in jail for helping the old man, got his brother and this Carter guy to cause the accident the other day."
"Jay told me about Williamsons' brother and another guy. So Carter was the other guy?"
"Yeah," Jay put in as he shook his head and went to return the cheese to its' cold storage, he kept forgetting he had only one working hand.
"I'll take that," Adam snatched the block from the distracted mans' grasp and pulled out the chopping board, "you want it grated or sliced?"
"Sliced .... thanks," Jay answered distractedly.
"So if Carter wasn't in a fight ......," Conor left the words hanging, hoping for some input, as he poured syrup over a pancake and eyed the two Detectives seeking clarification.
"It means someone organized the killing."
"Williamsons' brother?"
"Maybe but if it's not him it means there's someone else out there," Adam said succinctly.

tbc