One Hundred and Thirty-Seven: Little Guest

After thirty minutes had passed Jay no longer felt himself under scrutiny from unfriendly eyes.    He had however thought over Adams' easy capitulation in leaving him in the park so had been on the lookout for someone else from the Unit.   He hid a smile when he caught a reflection off the ice skating rooftop and knew Al was on duty.  He debated whether he should just take off or if he should go back to the precinct and find out what information Thomas had to give up.   In the end he sided with reason and after getting lost in a group of tourists he found the way up to the roof where he heard Al cursing as he moved his rifle lens around  trying to find his quarry.    The Sergeant stood rigid, obviously not happy they had lost him.

"You guys looking for someone?" the injured man spoke as he advanced on the pair.
"Kid you do that again and we're going to have words," Voights' words were laced with relief.
"Getting a bit dusty there," Jay looked over at Al with a cheeky grin after nodding to his Superior.
"Could outshoot you any day," Al grumbled as he out away the rifle and retrieved the binoculars to hang them around his neck.
"Sarge I just want to say sorry," Jay kicked the dirt at his feet, "shouldn't have taken off like I did."
"Hell if Voight was in your shoes he'd be creating hell every day Kid.   Don't sweat it," Al gestured to the stairs and began to lead the way.
"Halstead?" the Sergeant stayed his subordinates' steps.
"Sarge?"
"What Al said is right," the older man offered a hand with a smile.
"He's not known for being calm," Al put in as the trio headed down.
"I heard that."
"You were meant to."

21st Precinct

There were two surprises for Jay when he arrived at the 21st.  Firstly he was informed that Martin Williamson was going to be transferred there and secondly Sam Benedict was with the Intelligence Unit and he was not alone.   Coming up from the garage the three men were wondering why the other Detectives all wore goofy faces.  It was only when Sam turned around that the little boy he was holding was revealed.   Even before Jay had a chance to look at the child after he shed his sling and jacket he had his hands out asking to be picked up by the young man.

"Damn," Antonio watched in awe as the surprised man found himself once again holding the silent form whose smile seemed to light up the room, "we've been trying to get him to smile since he came up."
"That explains the faces.  Was afraid ye were having strokes," Al deadpanned as he headed for his desk after saluting the Counsellor.
"I'm good with kids usually," Kevin insisted ruefully.
"Sure," Voight said unimpressed as he looked at their visitor, "this a social call or do you need something Sam?"
"Mind if I have a quick word?"
"Sure," Voight indicated his office as Jay went to hand back the child.
"You might hold onto Mikey a minute," Sam shook his head as he went into the office, "won't be long."
"What am I supposed to do with him?" the injured man found himself talking to a closed door as chuckles broke out behind him.
"You do look kinda cute," Antonio pointed out.
"You want to take him?"
"Don't bother," Adam cut in, "he wouldn't come to any of us."
"Not for lack of trying," Kevin admitted sheepishly.
"Well little man looks like you're my Deputy," Jay walked over and sat down carefully before sitting the child on his desk facing the room, keeping his good hand around him firmly as he went to move the mouse with his left hand and found two injured fingers immediately clasped as the boy tried to bring them up to his mouth.
"Whoa there little guy!" Adam had seen his friend pale and quickly loosened the hold earning himself an unhappy, albeit tearless, stare from the toddler.
"Thanks," Jay nodded gratefully and then offered his uninjured baby finger which was immediately used as a dummy.
"You okay man?"
"Yeah.   Just took me by surprise didn't you little guy?"
"He nodded," Adam stated, "like he understood you."
"Just cause he isn't talking yet doesn't mean he doesn't understand things."
"Guess I didn't think about that," Adam walked over to his own chair, "your guy in the park never showed?"
"No.   Hopefully Thomas and Williamson will give him up."
"That why you came back?" Antonio looked across the room.
"That," Jay sighed heavily, "and I wanted to apologise to ye.  Shouldn't have stormed off."
"No need to say sorry to family Kid," Al spoke up as he walked out of the break room with a fresh coffee.
"Thanks guys."

Hank looked across at the Counsellor wondering what the reason was for his visit.

"So you going to tell me or do I have to guess?"
"You're exactly like Daniel said, straight to the point," Sam grinned before becoming serious, "actually he was the one who suggested I talk to you.  Well he said to ring you but I was in the neighbourhood so I figured it would be easier to call in."
"And here you are," Hank looked out to where Mikey was apparently merrily eating his Detectives' finger.
"I need your advice about something," Sam began to explain his presence, "my  wife Sandy and myself met Jay and Adam the other day at Med.  Mikey isn't good with strangers and in fact even though he's three he has never spoken.   There's no physical reason why he doesn't talk but he doesn't.  Anyway the day at Med he looked to be picked up by Jay.  No prompting or anything.  It was his idea.   Mikey never goes to strangers let alone smiles at them."
"But he did with Jay," Voight glanced again at the obviously happy toddler, "so what can I do?"
"Well Sandy invited Jay and Adam over for a visit, not only because Mikey seems to connect with Jay, but also because she's new here and is trying to make friends.   The thing is Daniel said I should check with you before broaching the subject with Jay again.  He said he didn't want Jay feeling under pressure and I feel the same.   You know what's going on with him so I figure you can say if now is a good time or if it isn't."
"I'm guessing he wasn't happy about the invitation?"
"Tried to turn it down but Adam accepted."
"Well at the moment he's under protection so that would be the reason he wanted to decline,' Hank explained, "wouldn't want ye put at risk."
"I was wondering why Adam was acting like a bodyguard."
"Do me a favour and don't say that to Jay.   Anyway there's no way of knowing when we will be able to wrap things up .......,"
"Of course I understand."
"I wasn't finished," the Sergeant said amused, "leave it with me and we'll come up with something.  Any particular night of the week suit ye?"
"Any night is good."
"Well like I said leave it with me," Hank instructed as he stood up then gestured with a grin to where the toddler was still smiling as he held onto the uneaten finger, "you better rescue my Detective before he loses one of his fingers."
"One more thing.   I was hoping you would spread the word at the precinct that I'm available for counselling if any Officers require it.  Pro bono."
"You don't need the money?"
"I've got a partnership in a practice which allows me to do some pro bono work," Sam explained, "makes me feel like I'm giving something back."
"Sure I'll spread the word," Hank opened the door, "I'll be in touch."

tbc