Chapter Sixty-One: Russian Roulette

As the cold air was breached by pitiful cries Jay shot out a hand and grabbed the cellphone before the older man had a chance to stop him.  Throwing it on the ground he stomped it underfoot until the heartbreaking sounds only lingered in his memory.  Once the mangled device was silenced Jay grabbed his father by the arm forcibly, ignoring his stuttered protests, and shoved him on a crate beside the new table.  Taking a seat on the other side he glared across at his father trying to calm his breathing.  Eyeing the only item sitting on the table before him he spoke coldly.

"Come on old man," as he spoke Jay picked up the gun and released the barrel checking his assumption was correct that there was only one bullet.  Not in the least bit fazed by the fact that he had called the situation right he casually clicked the barrel back into place after rotating it before putting the weapon back down on the wooden surface and spinning it.

"I'll go first," Jay stated as he watched the gun spin then when it stopped he calmly picked it up to begin the game of Russian roulette, "just to show how easy it is."
"We need to talk first."
"Nope," Jay quickly placed the barrel up to his temple and pressed the trigger without a flinch then passed the gun over, "your turn."
"I said we need to talk," the agitated man picked up the weapon but did not raise it, "you caused me a lot of trouble growing up."
"Your turn," Jay repeated, knowing deep down that the calmness he felt was only suppressing his fury over his beloved childhood companion.
"You listen to me!"
"You scared?"
"I want to talk to you!  You could have saved Max you know."
"Your turn."
"You're making an assumption that I haven't taken anyone else."
"Still your turn," the younger man was not about to be baited into acting on his anger, patience was one of his hard earned talents so he listened to what his gut was now telling him, "I know you didn't take anyone else."
"I could just shoot you," Halstead Senior noted with a sneer as he pointed the weapon at the man opposite him.
"You could," Jay conceded with an obvious lack of concern, "it's up to you."
"Damn you!" the old man raised the gun to his temple and pressed the trigger, beads of sweat breaking out on his forehead as he found an empty chamber, "your turn."
"What did you want to talk about?" Jay made no move towards the lethal item, his intent was to rattle the other man knowing that his background gave him an advantage his father had no knowledge of.
"You never asked why you disappointed me so much when you were growing up.  Do you want me to tell you?"
"I want you to tell me why I should give a damn about what you think," Jay moved towards the gun then picked it up and once again found an empty chamber as he depressed the trigger, "other than that I don't care."
"You always disobeyed me.  Your mother was too soft with you.  Always letting you stay at home."
"Would have gone to school if I could," Jay spoke honestly as he continued to observe not only his father but also his surroundings. He had made sure to take the crate by the wall so that he could view the rest of the old building.
"If you didn't get sick you could have gone to school and saved yourself a lot of trouble."
"Your turn," Jay reminded as he gestured to the gun.
"Max took a long time to die."
"You picked this game.  Don't you want to play?"
"Oh I want to play alright," Halstead Senior picked up the weapon as he wiped the sweat from his brow.
"So how did you take the Samsons from the Care Home?" Jay waited until his father was just about to pull the trigger and saw the relief he tried to hide but showed no recognition that he did.
"They were easy," as he spoke the older man lowered his hand without taking his turn, "told them they could meet a real life Detective.  You were great bait."
"Why now?"
"What?"
"Why come after me after all this time?" Jay shivered as the wind outside continued to breach the battered walls of the building as he noted the light was beginning to fade from the afternoon skies.
"Why not?"
"Your turn."
"You haven't said anything about Max?" the grey haired man picked up the weapon and once again sighed in obvious relief.
"Nothing to say," Jay casually picked up the weapon and pressed it to his temple.

A few seconds later the silence was shattered as Halstead Senior looked across in shock at where his son had been sitting.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"The Porters couldn't add anything to what they told us earlier," Adam informed the others as he arrived up the stairs with Al following behind, "they were told they were going on a trip and would meet a real Detective.  They thought Halstead Senior was working for the Home."
"They mention seeing any weapons?" Hank asked, the source of the assault rifles was still unknown and that did not sit well with anyone for they didn't know if the old man could get his hands on more weapons.
"No rifles.  They were allowed play with a handgun but the bullets were taken out before they were given it."
"They only spoke to Jay for a couple of minutes," Al joined in as he walked out of the break room with a steaming mug in hand and walked over to his cluttered desk.
"The old man had let them out on the rink as soon as they got to Millennium Park," Adam added, "but when they saw Jay they went over figuring he was the Detective.  The old man wasn't too happy.  The Porters said he growled at them after Jay shook hands with them.  Jay had simply winked at the pair and told them to do some more skating.  They said Jay was 'nice' and they 'like him'."
"They also said they didn't like the old man because he got cross when they went over to meet Jay," Al put in.
"Well at least the Porters are okay," Antonio offered, "don't think Jay could have dealt with the guilt if anything had happened to them.  He's already blaming himself for the Samsons."
"And the other three," Adam added softly.
"Why would he blame himself for the guys that beat him up and Mancini," Mouse looked up from his monitor with a frown.
"Because the Kid knows the old man only killed them because he's going after Jay.  It's obvious Halstead Senior has, for whatever reason, decided to finish this.  Otherwise he wouldn't have taken out Mancini," Hank pointed out plainly, "the Kid said he wants to finish this once and for all.  The old man does too."
"You reckon Jay knows that?" Kevin looked at the others.
"Yeah.  I reckon he does.  In fact I reckon he's known since the attack at Med.  Let's face it like we said before Jay knows the man better than anyone."
"So how come he never mentioned that fact to us?" Antonio posed the question although he already knew the answer.
"He probably figured we'd never let him go alone if he did," Hank stated succinctly, "and he was right."
"Damn," Adam shool his head, "should I tell Will?"
"No point.  He has enough to deal with anyway and him knowing the old man wants to finish things once and for all won't change anything."

tbc