Chapter One Hundred and Sixteen: Face From the Past

Chicago Med -

When Will got a chance during a break he spoke to Conor and Nat in the quiet staff canteen and explained that he had not been able to make any headway with his sibling. As they were talking Dr. Charles popped his head around the door asking if they would be free that evening to go to Mollys as his second cousin was in town and he wanted to take him to the local hangout.

"Sure," Conor nodded, "where is he visiting from?"
"Hawai'i," the burly man smiled, "not sure why he came to Chicago when he was living in paradise."
"He moving here?" Will asked.
"Yeah. He's after becoming a partner in a practice in Lakeview. He's a Counsellor for Veterans. His parents raised him in Honolulu until their the divorce. He stayed in Hawai'i with his mother while he's father moved here."
"I'm tied up tonight," Nat sighed, "maybe I'll meet him another time though."
"Sure," Charles nodded, "if he likes Mollys you'll probably come across him down the line. How about you Will?"
"I'm not sure what I'm doing yet I .....,"
"He'll be there," Conor cut in.
"But ...,"
"Dr. Charles any specific reason your cousin chose helping Vets?" Conor requested, playing a hunch and hoping he was right.
"He did a tour in Afghanistan. He had intended making the army his career but after his deployment he decided he wanted to help Soldiers who were finding it difficult to readjust to civilian life. He had a close call over there. Think it changed his perspective on a lot of things."
"Might be an idea for you to go tonight Will," Nat put in then continued insightfully, "maybe bring Jay."
"Exactly," the Surgeon smiled.
"Don't say anything else," Charles put up a hand as he started to close the door, "that way we can honestly say Will and I didn't set the meeting up."
"You ...," Will asked but was interrupted.
"I gotta go." Charles closed the door after him with a grin.
"Well what do you think? It might be the answer to our problems," Conor looked at the bemused redhead.
"If it gets Jay talking it has to be a good idea," Nat encouraged her boyfriend, "it's worth a try anyway."
"Yeah but if he thinks it's a set up he'll flip."
"Not if you play your cards right."
"And you didn't set it up," Conor shrewdly pointed out.

---------------------------------------------

21st Precinct

Hank looked from his youngest Detective to Benedict and back again. No one had spoken after Jenkins' proclamation. Adam shifted closer to his obviously shaken friend and caught Als' eye. After all he was the only one of them who had some understanding of what Jay had done over in Afghanistan. He would know which way to handle this.

"Thought we were meant to be recertifying," Al patted Antonios' shoulder and tugged Kevins' sleeve as he looked over at Jenkins, "let's get this over with."
"Ye heard the man," Hank gave his approval of the best option and looked at Mouse meaningfully, "let's move it."
"Next up is Atwater, Kevin," Jenkins stated after going back to his clipboard.
"Rather you than me," Antonio goaded as he walked over to the mats after a final glance at his friend.
"Benedict you're needed," Hank motioned to the other men by the top of the stairs.
"Sure," the man nodded but looked at Jay in apology, "Sam just wanted to thank you. I didn't mean to cause you any hassle son."
"You didn't," Adam said as he saw his friend flinch at the use of the word 'son'.
"Good," Benedict frowned and turned away having also noted the seated mans' reaction and wondered just what was going on with him.
"Benedict," Jay called after the man and waited for him to turn around, "he can't be sure he has the right name or there could be another Jay Halstead."
"You didn't talk to him for long because you were on your way to another assignment .... in Dahaneh .... you saved his life," Benedict explained quietly but with certainty, "after what went down he made sure to find out your name. He's never taken for granted the gift you gave him and ....... more importantly he's never forgotten what it cost you."
"How would he know where I was going?" Jay demanded half to himself not observing the exchanged glances between Hank, Adam and Benedict which confirmed they all noticed the young man didn't deny the destination revealing he did remember the incident and the rescue.
"Well like I said he made a point of asking about you."
"He shouldn't have been given my name," Jay spoke hoarsely, "you tell him I'm glad he made it back but to forget about me."
"Sure, if that's what you want," the Insure Tech man smiled and walked closer offering his hand which was accepted silently with a nod, "better get back to Dan before he fries one of your buddies."
"Jay you want to head out early I've got no problem with that," Hank explained softly once the three law enforcement Officers were alone, willing the man to take him up on the offer for once.
"Think I will Sarge," Jay spoke after a brief consideration, he just wanted to be alone.
"I can drive you home," Adam offered in relief.
"Nah. I'm good," the younger man stood up and snatched his jacket, "see ye tomorrow."
"Okay. Give me a shout if you need anything," Adam said as he watched his friend head out the back way to go out by the garage.

As soon as he reached the garage Jay practically ran to the open doors to get fresh air as dizziness began to assail him. Leaning against the wall outside he took some deep breaths and willed himself not to pass out. Dahaneh! It was years since that place invaded his thoughts. Benedict had not meant any harm Jay knew that but he felt an irrational anger towards the man. He knew it was misplaced and unjustified. The weakness began to pass after a few minutes and he straightened up as a patrol car pulled in. He recognised Burgess and Roman so decided to head off before he had to talk to them. As the pair got out of the vehicle he raised a hand in farewell and walked off with quick strides glad that he had parked his truck out on the street that morning. Slowing his steps as he reached the vehicle he began to second guess leaving. What was he thinking? He stopped by the truck and looked back indecisively. Damn it! He was never indecisive, at least he usen't be. Since the beating months ago though he had already acknowledged to himself that his self assurance was wavering. Shaking his head he took out his keys. He needed space and he knew where to find it.

By twenty before nine that night Will was fit to scream. Adam had called and given him a heads up about Benedicts' visit and had relayed the conversation which had spooked his sibling and confirmed that Voight and himself were sure Jay remembered the rescue in question even though he hadn't openly admitted it. The Detective said Jay had rejected his offer of driving him home so he figured it would be a good idea for Will to call by and check on him. Promising to keep their conversation quiet Will had left the minute his shift ended and nearly broke the speed limit getting to Jays' apartment after numerous calls and texts went unanswered. During two hours sitting in the apartment he had let his mind go through all the possible scenarios he was worried about, none of them pretty. He had become increasingly concerned about his sibling since he moved back to his own apartment following Williamsons' arrest. Not that he hadn't been worried before of course. But as time went on since the end of the informal witness protection his concern had increased exponentially. Truth was the offer by Dr. Charles to arrange for Jay to meet his cousin was like a lifebelt being thrown to a drowning man. It seemed it was his last hope to help the younger man but now Jay was nowhere to be found. Someone called his name and Will turned to Conor sitting beside him at the back table in Mollys.

"We've been talking to you for a few minutes," Conor chided with a smile which he shared with Dr. Charles and his cousin across the table from him then gestured with his head to the bar, "look who just walked in."

"Who?" the redhead asked even as he looked and sighed in relief, Jay was standing at the bar talking to Herrmann and Kelly, and he went to stand up.
"You stay," Conor directed, "I'll bring him over."
"Okay but don't be long," Will conceded knowing he sounded as worried as he felt but after all his dark thoughts he just wanted his brother beside him.
"You're lucky not all brothers are as close as ye obviously are," the young handsome brown eyed Counsellor noted as he took a sip of beer.
"Well the Halstead brothers share a number of traits. One of which is protectiveness," Charles smiled.
"Halstead!" the dark haired man choked out after the beer went down the wrong way.
"What's wrong Samuel," Will checked not liking the pained look which crossed the mans' features as his gaze darted to where Conor was heading back through the crowd from the bar with a hand casually placed on the young mans' neck as if guiding him, "my father told me he doesn't want to see me."
"What are you talking about?" Dr. Charles asked hastily.
"He's the guy I told ye about! He saved me in Afghanistan."
"Oh my God," Will looked stricken as the full ramifications of what was about to happen sank in.
"I'm sorry," Dr. Charles apologized sincerely, "I should have told him your full name when I introduced ye."
"It's my fault," Sam Benedict insisted guiltily glancing at his older cousin before looking at the redhead, "I didn't give Daniel my rescuers' name. Didn't see the point. If I did he'd have made the connection."
"Adam said he tried to act like he didn't know you," Will pointed out looking for any escape from what the next few minutes might hold.
"He spoke to me, briefly, but I'm pretty sure he'll know me. He's a Sniper after all, takes everything in."
"Hey Will look who I found at the bar," Conor pushed Jay into his former seat beside his brother and tugged over a stool from nearby then sat down unaware of the tension at the table, "this is Samuel, he's a cousin of Dr. Charles."

tbc