Chapter One Hundred and Sixty Seven: Under Suspicion

Wondering vaguely if life was ever going to get easy Jay looked at the people now eyeing him, some with open curiosity some with disdain.  He decided to deal with the matter head on before Voight could say anything else.  He calmly began speaking, making eye contact with every Agent as he did so.

"As ye know I was undercover in Petrocellis' organisation when he disappeared. He left incriminating files with me.  Some people believe he did this because I in some way did something unethical or illegal and went over to the wrong side of the law. People can think what they want. I know the truth.  I did my job and nothing more.  I've been asked why Petrocelli let me live," the tired Detective paused momentarily and felt Adam step closer to his side in encouragement, "I don't know for sure.  I myself think it had something to do with me resembling his dead son. I can't be certain though."
"Another reason would have been timing," Al put in gravely, "Petrocelli had made the decision to walk away.   If he hadn't made that decision Halstead would likely be dead."
"You have to admit it looks suspicious," forty year old FBI Agent Dan Tanner spoke up after a brief silence.
"Guess it does," Jay conceded honestly, "but there's nothing I can do about that.  All I can say is that I was as surprised as anyone to find out he left the files with me and ..."
"How do you mean?" Tanner interrupted with a frown.
"Halstead was drugged," Voight cut in from the front of the room, "in fact he was nearly killed."
"We never heard Petrocelli tried to kill him," James Beckett, another FBI Agent, noted glancing from the Sergeant to the  obviously discomfited Detective and back again.
"Well ....," Voight began only to be cut off.
"Don't think he tried to kill me," Jay admitted firmly, "I was sick at the time so the drug they gave me took more out of me than it should have."
"We're not entirely sure about that," Voight insisted tossing Adam a meaningful glance, "as ye know the new drug Petrocelli was pedalling was responsible for many deaths.  Irrespective of whether or not Halstead was unwell there was no guarantee he wouldn't die."
"But Petrocelli told you about Wells," Jefferson prompted, deciding the Detective needed a bit of help to get to the heart of the matter, "he obviously trusts you enough to handle the situation."
"Maybe," Jay conceded honestly with a shrug, "problem is I've no idea who this guy Wells is."
"Yet he's making it personal," Murphy put in as he held up the evidence bag containing the note addressed to Jay.
"Doesn't refer to anything personal, " Adam argued.
"It's addressed to him.  Must be a reason he's focusing on Detective Halstead," Jefferson stated simply.
"We've already discussed this," Voight noted, "we don't know why Wells is interested in Jay.  That's something we need to find out."
"Did Wells learn of Halstead from Petrocelli?" a new voice enquired and heads turned to a tall, dark haired man leaning against the door.
"We don't know," Voight sighed and looked at Murphy as he hinted, "we never got around to introductions."
"Meet Pete Parker, MD and Psychologist attached to HS.  You met Jefferson before I understand. This is ......"

                  ----------------------------

Two long hours later the team had gathered in Jay and Adams' room in the hotel.   The men were scattered around  in various states of exhaustion.

"So what did Murphy have to say?" Al asked solemnly, they had all seen the Assistant Director lead Voight out of the Briefing Room for a private conversation.
"He wanted to make sure that I understood who was in charge and that we're visitors in this city," the Sergeant revealed wrily, "seems my reputation preceded me."
"So how are we going to track down Wells?" Jay brought them back to the real matter they needed to discuss, office politics were irrelevant.
"He'll make a mistake," Al spoke confidently, "then we'll catch him."
"So we wait for another bomb to go off and hope he leaves a clue behind?!"
"I'm still running searches," Mouse offered as he munched on a potato chip.
"Jay you know the way these things go," Adam eyed his friend worriedly, "we've been here before."
"No we haven't!  This guy is focusing on me and I have no idea who the hell he is.  That means more people are going to get hurt!"
"Kid that's not on you," Voight eyed the men carefully, "whoever he is he's going to have to deal with all of us.  Not just you."
"Damn right!" Antonio muttered darkly, he was sick and tired of seeing his young friend in so much turmoil.
"And he's going to regret his actions," Kevin declared resolutely as he rose to his feet, "now whose in the mood for some poker?"

                      -------------------------

The following morning found Jay standing beside Voight at the bomb site in a chilly Central Park.  He eyed the red dyed leaves scattered around and tried to turn off the mental images of where the crimson patches had come from.  It had become clear that it was just luck that more people hadn't been hurt. A bus carrying a large dance troupe had broken down en route. They had intended to perform an impromptu dance for a new video at the location where the bomb went off.

"So they weren't expecting fans to be here?" Jay looked across at Murphy as he joined the pair after talking to two Patrol Officers on duty at the cordoned off site.
"No.  They got a permit to shoot here but didn't advertise their plans."
"You said the troupe contains twenty personnel," Voight spoke thoughtfully, "presumably they had an entourage?"
"There were thirty on the bus in total."
"That's a lot of people to keep a secret ."
"Apparently it's something they do regularly.  Without fans there's less distractions and intrusions according to Sam Lavelle, the Manager," the HS man explained with a sigh before looking carefully at Jay as a fire engine roared by, "sorry about last night. Wasn't trying to throw you to the wolves."
"Could have fooled me," Voight put in gruffly.
"It's okay.  It was to be expected people would have questions," Jay commented quietly, "unfortunately though I'm out of answers.  Unless he's using an alias I've never met Wells before so I don't know why he sent the note to me."
"We'll figure it out," Murphy spoke purposefully, his gut was telling him the young Detective was one of the good guys and he trusted his instincts.
"We will," Voight affirmed, knowing he had gained another ally on his Detectives' side.
"So did Forensics come up with anything else?" Jay swept his gaze over the area again and noticed a figure in the distance leaning casually against a tree.
"No," Murphy reluctantly admitted, "they couldn't pull any prints."
"Don't turn around," Jay gently instructed the two older men who had their backs to the site, "we have someone who is paying close attention to us."
"There are always onlookers," Voight frowned for there were plenty of people around the scene, they were curious after all.
"This guy has been in the same position for the past ten minutes and he didn't look away when the fire engine went by a short while ago."
"Damn," Murphy understood the significance of the last piece of information for normal members of the public tended to automatically look around when sirens approached nearby,  "how far away is he?"
"About twenty feet," Jay casually took off his leather jacket and checked his watch before shaking his head, "I'm going to head off as if I'm late for something and ....,"
"Kid we're not using you as bait," Voight insisted.
"Might not get another chance," Murphy stated ignoring the death glare sent his way, "you sure about this?"
"Yeah I'm sure," the younger man looked at his watch again, "I'll lead him over to the footbridge on the east side. Ye stay here awhile.  He might not be alone."
"Halstead you need back up!" Voight barely managed to keep the anger out of his stance.
"No time," Jay shook his head and then began walking away as he raised his voice, "meet ye back at headquarters. I'm already late."

It took all of Voights' restraint not to turn around and see if the observer was going after his Detective.  Murphy had the same dilemma but remedied it by calling the nearest Patrol Officer over so he could advise them of the strangers' whereabouts without making it obvious.

As he walked away Jay fervently hoped he was doing the right thing.  He'd find out soon enough .....

tbc

Authors' Note

Good grief I cannot believe how long it has taken to post a new chapter! Apologies.  My health problems are ongoing but I will post when I can.  Thanks so much for staying with Tolerance.  I don't take it for granted.