Chapter One Hundred and Thirty-Three: Mikey Meets Jay

At Med the following morning, with Adam as his shadow, Jay made his way into reception and was so busy debating internally if he should talk to Conor about migraine meds that he almost walked into Sam Benedict who was holding a toddler in one arm and had his other arm around the shoulder of a pretty auburn haired woman.  The Counsellor grinned at the two Detectives.

"Hey long time no see."
"Hi," Adam nodded as he kept scanning the crowd casually.
"Jay wish I could say you were looking good," Sam frowned as he got a proper look at the other man.
"Sam! Don't be so blunt," the woman at his side chastised.
"Sorry," Sam grinned as he hefted the little boy in his arm, "have a habit of speaking the truth.  This is my wife Sandy and this little guy is Mikey.  Sandy these are two Detectives I met.  Jay and Adam.  They know Daniel."
"Hi," Jay nodded to the woman and glanced at the child, "how old is he?"
"Three."
"Hey buddy," the injured man ducked down to look at the quiet child and was surprised when two small arms were held out with hands opening and closing fingers in the universal gesture to be picked up, "hey don't think you want to do that little guy."
"Sam," Sandy looked at her husband for a moment, "let him go to him."
"You sure?" the Counsellor looked at his wife doubtfully.
"Go on."
"Well Mikey this is Jay," Sam carefully held the child out for Jay to take before he had a chance to protest, the injured man was unsure why they were entrusting him with the precious bundle but put out his right arm and accepted the silent form.
"Mikey doesn't talk," Sandy explained quietly, "there's no physical reason but he ..... just never began talking."
"Well maybe he's just waiting for the right time," Jay offered as he slowly moved his injured hand in its' sling and offered a good finger to the tiny grasping hand which was immediately captured and brought up to the boys' cheek as he smiled happily.
"I don't believe it," Sam frowned then grinned at his wife.
"What?" Adam asked looking at the scene as he took a step closer in case the child decided to lean back suddenly.
"He's never good with strangers yet he actually wanted to go to Jay and he's smiling. He never smiles with strangers."
"Heck just shows the kid's got good instincts," Adam stated proudly patting his friends' back, "but we got an appointment so we need to get going."
"Hey little man it was good meeting you," Jay carefully handed the silent bundle over and gently retrieved his finger.
"Would ye be free any evening?" Sandy looked at the two men hopefully.
"Right now isn't a ....,"
"Sure we'll work something out," Adam cut in ignoring the look sent his way, "I have your card Sam."
"That will be great," Sandy smiled happily, glad to be making friends finally in her new home.
"Any night will do," Sam put in, "be good to catch up. Hopefully you'll be feeling better soon Jay."
"It was nice meeting you," the pale man nodded to Sandy and winked at the still smiling boy ignoring the reference to his health as he walked away.
"Be in touch soon," Adam assured as he followed his friend.
"I can't believe how Mikey just went to Jay," Sandy shook her head in awe as the married couple watched the two men head for the elevators, "he seems a bit quiet for a Detective doesn't he?"
"Something tells me he's different on the job," Sam noted, "thanks for inviting them over. If I suggested it Jay would have said no."
"Well he didn't exactly agree," Sandy reminded as they headed for the entrance, "Adam did."
"I'll take what I can get."
"What do you mean?"
"I need to tell you how I first met Jay ....,"

                  ------------------------------

In the small waiting room there were no other people waiting so Jay looked at his friend angrily.

"Just what the hell did you think you were doing? Agreeing to a visit with me in protection.  That's a real sane move!"
"Hey we'll work it out," Adam offered unperturbed by his friends' anger.
"Well you can go but I'm staying well away."
"Hate to say it but they were more interested in you.  You heard them.  Mikey responded to you.  Can't blame them for wanting to see you again."
"Well maybe when everything is settled I can see him."
"So you decided yet?" Adam asked becoming more serious as he abandoned the topic.
"Decided?"
"About trying migraine meds."
"You taking up mind reading?"
"No but you got to be sick and tired of being in pain so often.  No harm in trying something."
"Says you," Jay sighed as he glanced at his watch, he'd give Conor another five minutes then he was leaving.

"Sorry guys," Conor jogged around the corner, "had to deal with an emergency.  Was afraid ye wouldn't wait."
"Jay would never do that," Adam spoke with a knowing smile as his friend stood up, "I'll wait here."
"Like you have a choice," Jay tossed back tiredly as he followed Conor into a small office across the way.
"So how are you doing?" the Surgeon asked once they were seated across the desk from each other.
"Okay.  You might take the stitches out they're driving me nuts," the Detective put a hand up to his temple.
"They should stay in another few days."
"Either you do it or I will," Jay shrugged.
"Okay you win.  I'll do it.  So how are you really doing?  I can see you're not getting enough sleep."
"Be better once I get my life back."
"I'm sorry you're going through so much Jay,  Some times it seems the good guys get hurt the most.  Did you think about the Pain Specialist?"
"I'll leave it go."
"I could try you on migraine medication if you want?" Conor suggested quietly, hoping his young friend would agree.
"Can you prescribe that stuff?"
"I spoke to Richard earlier.  The Pain Specialist.  I had a feeling you'd say no."
"Thanks Conor.  I appreciate it but I don't want to try the meds now."
"Why? You're still getting headaches."
"Look if I tell you something will you promise you'll keep it to yourself?" Jay looked at his good hand on his lap rather than at the other man.
"You have my word," the Surgeon assured.
"I remember when I was on the meds when I was a kid.  I was tired all the time.  My concentration was affected."
"And in your present situation you want all your wits about you."
"Yeah," Jay shifted uncomfortably on his chair.
"Jay there's no reason to be embarrassed with me.  I'm your friend remember?"
"Yeah, yeah I know.  Sorry."
"Well leave it with me okay? I'll have a word with Richard.  He might know something which won't have those side effects.  No harm in asking anyway."
"Thanks Doc," Jay stood up and headed over to the gurney hidden behind a curtain, "so let's get rid of the stitches and you can tell me how Will us doing.

                  ----------------------------

21st Precinct

"We need to find Martin Williamson," Hank stated to the men gathered in his office, "the longer this goes on the longer Jay is at risk."
"You have a plan?" Al checked.
"Yes and it's not one I like but Crowley isn't going to give us leeway forever."
"It's only been a few days," Antonio frowned.
"Yes but even if we get Williamson to talk it's going to take a while to find whoever he gives up.  We need to be proactive."
"Why are we having this discussion without Jay and Adam?" Kevin decided to ask what was on everyones' mind.
"I'll bring them up to speed as soon as they get back from Med.  I want ye to understand this is the only option we have."
"You didn't say what plan you have," Antonio looked at the Sergeant with a sinking feeling, "you're going to use Jay as bait?!"
"It's the only way.  We're hitting a brick wall."
"But that's ...," Kevin began only to be cut off.
"The only way to move forward," Al put in pragmatically.
"So why tell us now? Why not wait for Jay?  We all know he'll jump at the chance," Antonio spoke thoughtfully.
"Yes he will but I want to be sure we're all on the same page.  Jay has been under a lot of pressure for a long time.  I want everyone keeping an eye on him.  If any of you have any concerns about him ye come to me.  Everyone got that?"
"Sarge we're all keeping an eye on him," Kevin spoke unhappily, "but what you're asking is for us to tell tales on him.  Don't think that's right."
"What he said," Antonio folded his arms after gesturing to Kevin beside him, understanding now why they were having this conversation.
"Listen of everyone in this Unit Jay is the one who will keep his problems to himself the most," Hank explained the background to his request, "I know none of us are great with sharing our problems easily but the Kid doesn't know how to ask for help, even if he needs it.  That's why I'm asking.  I know if the Kid gives me his word he's okay he will mean it but with everything that has happened he might over reach himself.  Hopefully nothing will come up but if it does I want ye to come to me.  That's all I'm asking.  We all have the same objective.   Get the Kid through this so he can get back to his own life again. So are we agreed?" Hank asked as he saw Jay and Adam climbing the last few steps.
"Yes Sarge," Antonio nodded and the others followed suit.

tbc